2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I like Friedman alright and I don't think he peddles BS, but I'm not a big fan of his.  I find him pretty long-winded and I think he definitely provides vague responses when he doesn't have any specific info instead of admitting a lack of knowledge.

You're just jealous that he got a d for his name and you didn't.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I like Friedman alright and I don't think he peddles BS, but I'm not a big fan of his.  I find him pretty long-winded and I think he definitely provides vague responses when he doesn't have any specific info instead of admitting a lack of knowledge.

The amount of emphasis placed on the reporting of these insiders is not proportionate to the value of information they provide. Across the board.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The amount of emphasis placed on the reporting of these insiders is not proportionate to the value of information they provide. Across the board.

But sometimes they find out about things that are actually happening and tell us an hour before we would have found out anyway.  That’s gotta be worth something, right?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

But sometimes they find out about things that are actually happening and tell us an hour before we would have found out anyway.  That’s gotta be worth something, right?

Which is definitely one of the contributing factors as to why I don’t do Twitter or follow people on Twitter… I couldn’t care less if I find out 5-10 minutes after everyone else finds out that someone got traded. Besides, there’s several trigger finger Twitter users here so I’ll find out in under five minutes anyways 😂

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Listening to Friedman on the Instigators you wouldn’t think so.

Two weeks in a row, when asked about what the Sabres are up to, he has given off a weird phoney vibe, like his answers are completely canned. I’m not sure if he thinks the Sabres are up to nothing and doesn’t want to say that, or if he has no idea what they are up to and doesn’t want to say that.

He’s repeated the goaltender thing and says they might be interested in a winger (duh) and gave vague generalities when asked directly about Reinhart.

I also listened to Friedman on WGR. I suspect the reason why he is more vague than usual about what is going on in Buffalo and around the league is the uncertainty caused by the virus and how it will impact the next season. As it stands no one knows for sure when the season will start. And it is probable that few fans, if any, will be allowed to attend the games.  It isn't even certain that a full season will be scheduled. And although the cap figure is already established for the next couple of years the internal cap is going to be a lot smaller for a lot of teams. That will have tremendous repercussion on what the transactions will be around the league. 

My sense (guess) is that I don't see Buffalo making any blockbuster deals. What I do see happening (hoping for) is a few bargain deals for solid players with teams that are financially stressed. I'm also more inclined to believe that the Sabres will keep their pick. 

Attached is a column by Paul Hamilton who works for WGRZ and addresses some of the issues already noted. https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nhl/sabres/hamilton-its-great-to-talk-buffalo-sabres-hockey-but-will-there-be-a-nhl-season/71-6233be48-1290-4068-861f-4de81deef633

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

I hope the Sabres are among the teams that sit back and use their cap space to take advantage of what comes available, in what’s sure to be a clearing house that develops over the next two weeks.

There is somewhat of a blank slate created by all our open contract slots. And it is an opportunity to reshape the team in a way that mimics the Vegas Golden Knights as teams scrambled for the expansion draft.

Patience can be rewarded. Staal will not be the only Opportunity out there where we can get better and cheaper at the same time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I hope the Sabres are among the teams that sits back and uses its cap space to take advantage of what comes available, in what’s sure to be a clearing house that develops over the next two weeks.

There is somewhat of a blank slate created by all our open contract slots. And it is an opportunity to reshape the team in a way that mimics the Vegas Golden Knights as teams scrambled for the expansion draft.

Patience can be rewarded. Staal will not be the only Opportunity out there where we can get better and cheaper at the same time.

Vegas, an expansion team, under the stewardship of George McPhee, their GM, did the most masterful job of putting together an organization and also staffing it's franchise of players in an expansion draft than any GM has done in any pro sport.  Making all those side deals to take and not take players in the expansion draft was creative and impressive. Not only did he put together a roster that immediately played in the Stanley Cup championship series but it has remained as one of the top tier teams in the western conference and league. 

McPhee in assembling his first roster didn't go for the blockbuster approach rather than make a lot of small to medium personnel decisions for the right type of players who fit their intended roster design. If to a smaller extent our new GM can replicate what the Vegas GM did then the Sabres should be able to finally get over the hump. It's not about acting with brilliance. It is about the accumulation of a lot of sound hockey decisions with a little creativity thrown into the mix. It's doable!

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I hope the Sabres are among the teams that sit back and use their cap space to take advantage of what comes available, in what’s sure to be a clearing house that develops over the next two weeks.

This seems right and I sure hope it is — but I also want some action!  Gimme at least one good trade by Tuesday night to tide me over and then I’ll be happy to play the waiting game. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

This seems right and I sure hope it is — but I also want some action!  Gimme at least one good trade by Tuesday night to tide me over and then I’ll be happy to play the waiting game. 

Your response captured my sentiment. The way this extraordinary virus offseason is setting up there is a lot of financial stresses that are going to drive many personnel decisions for a number of teams. Patience may result in better bang for the buck deals the longer we wait. However, as like you, I want to see some preliminary action that will for the short term satisfy my craving to start the process of upgrading and reshaping the roster. I'm not greedy. I just want to see some initial action that will inspire more hope and optimism.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2020 at 3:04 PM, steveoath said:

Surprised to see both the CBJs goaltenders on there. I'd take either instead of Hutton.

That's who I would be looking at. Try to get one of them to team with Ullmark. They are still young which gives the Sabres time to not rush anyone and after that they can be traded for assets. Only problem is that the reason they are available is because CBJ believe they can cash in on one for a good return, so sending them Hutton or another scrap for one isn't going to cut it.

Fleury could be an option to help for this year and next, and with Vegas looking to move him, they might take less for him. He has a high cap hit so that could be an issue. But he is a veteran with loads of experience and is an upgrade for now.

1 minute ago, SyrSabreFan said:

He would be great, obviously depending on the ask. The problem would be if Cozens matures into who we hope he is (2C). Danault already complained about being 3C in Montreal.

Well,

1) Danault is only signed for one more year anyway, so it would probably be a one season rental.

2) Danault may already be a 3C, or at least 2C/3C middle-6 C, with Staal already on the team.

39 minutes ago, Curt said:

Well,

1) Danault is only signed for one more year anyway, so it would probably be a one season rental.

2) Danault may already be a 3C, or at least 2C/3C middle-6 C, with Staal already on the team.

If you were comparing where Cozens will/could be in a couple of years how would you compare the two as 2C players? If a team is going to trade for Danault who has one more year on his contract I would suspect that the team dealing for him would already plan to play him as their long term 2C. (Implicit in my question is how good is Danault?) I don't see Buffalo as being that team. Once the Sabres traded for Staal it made a Danault acquisition very unlikely. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you were comparing where Cozens will/could be in a couple of years how would you compare the two as 2C players? If a team is going to trade for Danault who has one more year on his contract I would suspect that the team dealing for him would already plan to play him as their long term 2C. (Implicit in my question is how good is Danault?) I don't see Buffalo as being that team. Once the Sabres traded for Staal it made a Danault acquisition very unlikely. 

I think he is a solid 2C.  Especially good defensively.  Not much of a goal scorer, but can center talented wingers.

I agree that adding Staal has made a Danault trade unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Is that saying they have interest in Danault or Laine? I read that as them having interest in Laine

If they would've ment that Sabres are interested in Laine it would be stated earlier in that comment dont you think ? 
"You have to think find a fit with the Habs the Jets would want Phillip Danault in Return. The Sabres etc all have interest" 

To me its clear they mean Phillip. 

Id take Laine anyday though, have no clue what we could offer to get him and there is not room looking at cap space either.

Sabres are talking to Arizona about Nick Schmaltz.

Vancouver sportsradio host dropped this as an aside just now during a conversation about the Coyotes. No elaboration.

Schmaltz has six years left at $5.8 AAV. Contract heavily backloaded. Base salary only $3 million for the coming season.

24, right shot, 45 points last year. Capfriendly lists him as a centre, but I thought he was primarily a winger.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

From Friedman Today

SABRES CENTRES

Speaking of Arizona, word is that Buffalo likes Coyotes centre Nick Schmaltz, who is signed for six more years at $5.85 million per.

Remember that the Sabres acquired Eric Staal last month to help shore themselves up down the middle.

There’s been a wild rumour that Buffalo asked the Rangers for the first overall pick and two young players for Jack Eichel, but we’re getting a lot of “things got nowhere near close to that” in response.

With Eichel’s 75 per cent bonus paid, it makes little sense for Buffalo to do it, and while I do believe the Rangers like the centre, I don’t believe they would do this.