2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sabres are talking to Arizona about Nick Schmaltz.

Vancouver sportsradio host dropped this as an aside just now during a conversation about the Coyotes. No elaboration.

Schmaltz has six years left at $5.8 AAV. Contract heavily backloaded. Base salary only $3 million for the coming season.

24, right shot, 45 points last year. Capfriendly lists him as a centre, but I thought he was primarily a winger.

His metrics are meh. With the term he has left, no thanks 

47 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman Today

SABRES CENTRES

Speaking of Arizona, word is that Buffalo likes Coyotes centre Nick Schmaltz, who is signed for six more years at $5.85 million per.

Remember that the Sabres acquired Eric Staal last month to help shore themselves up down the middle.

There’s been a wild rumour that Buffalo asked the Rangers for the first overall pick and two young players for Jack Eichel, but we’re getting a lot of “things got nowhere near close to that” in response.

With Eichel’s 75 per cent bonus paid, it makes little sense for Buffalo to do it, and while I do believe the Rangers like the centre, I don’t believe they would do this.

Really?  The Rangers "like" the center named Jack Eichel.  Do they also like pizza, steak, whiskey and beer?  I can't believe a hockey writer chose that language.

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

His metrics are meh. With the term he has left, no thanks 

In terms of his game, he looks a lot like Marcus Johansson — playmaking, smooth-skating winger who can also play centre — but more productive. Definitely a top-six player.

Gotta think he wouldn't be a cheap get under normal circumstances. That salary (interesting comparable for Reinhart, by the way) might scare some teams off under current conditions, but this is not a player who would be traded at all under normal conditions.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In terms of his game, he looks a lot like Marcus Johansson — playmaking, smooth-skating winger who can also play centre — but more productive. Definitely a top-six player.

Gotta think he wouldn't be a cheap get under normal circumstances. That salary (interesting comparable for Reinhart, by the way) might scare some teams off under current conditions, but this is not a player who would be traded at all under normal conditions.

Comparable to Marcus and he checks the money box for this season.  Wouldn't be a slam dunk like the Staal trade,  but this is exactly the type of move I expect KA is working on.  

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s very similar to Johansson. The issue is he is signed for another six years at 5.8 Million AAV. That’s 3 years too long IMO.  Really doesn’t drive play at all which is concerning, I think Kevyn can do better. 

C76AA740-DC11-40A3-AB1A-D260C55EEC90.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Good stuff, and I am reasonably confident that KA is indeed trying for this.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how credible David Pagnotta is?

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

He’s very similar to Johansson. The issue is he is signed for another six years at 5.8 Million AAV. That’s 3 years too long IMO.  Really doesn’t drive play at all which is concerning, I think Kevyn can do better. 

C76AA740-DC11-40A3-AB1A-D260C55EEC90.jpeg

I, too, am well put off by that contract.

It has to be asked:  could a trade for Schmaltzie presage a trade of Reino, on the theory that KA doesn't think Reino is worth what it will take to sign him?

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've heard mixed opinions, but he's not exactly going out on a limb here.

I could say "The Sabres are intently looking to improve their goaltending," and I'd be right.  Not prophetic, but right.  Same as looking for LD.

The only real insight here is KA is in active discussions and working the phones, but what else would we expect the day before the draft?

23 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I've heard mixed opinions, but he's not exactly going out on a limb here.

I could say "The Sabres are intently looking to improve their goaltending," and I'd be right.  Not prophetic, but right.  Same as looking for LD.

The only real insight here is KA is in active discussions and working the phones, but what else would we expect the day before the draft?

The Fourth Period in general does much better with Toronto and LA Info. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Vancouver sportsradio host dropped this as an aside just now during a conversation about the Coyotes. No elaboration.

Schmaltz has six years left at $5.8 AAV. Contract heavily backloaded. Base salary only $3 million for the coming season.

24, right shot, 45 points last year. Capfriendly lists him as a centre, but I thought he was primarily a winger.

His salary is not cheap. However, if he is a genuine second line player his contract numbers are not out of bounds, especially if a player like Montour or Miller is moved to make more cap space. We have lower line players such as Gergs and Larsson that can be let go that will help defray some of the cost of the new acquisition. If the Sabres enter the next belated starting season with our two top lines staffed by credible top two line players then this is good situation to be in compared to the previous number of years. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

His salary is not cheap. However, if he is a genuine second line player his contract numbers are not out of bounds, especially if a player like Montour or Miller is moved to make more cap space. We have lower line players such as Gergs and Larsson that can be let go that will help defray some of the cost of the new acquisition. If the Sabres enter the next belated starting season with our two top lines staffed by credible top two line players then this is good situation to be in compared to the previous number of years. 

I don't know much about The Schmaltz, but I think if he [is] a bona fide 2W, and not a Vesey, Frolik, Rodrigues, Sheary, or Sobotka "he could play up-and-down the lineup" guy, then this would be an improvement.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Curt said:

I think he is a solid 2C.  Especially good defensively.  Not much of a goal scorer, but can center talented wingers.

I agree that adding Staal has made a Danault trade unlikely.

I hope not, as he'd be a good Larsson replacement. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Agree with @Brawndo that we can do better - contract is too much the player. He certainly doesn't seem to be a Larsson replacement type guy, so we'd be looking at top 6 RW. Can sign better value players for less that'll probably improve the team more. 

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Really?  The Rangers "like" the center named Jack Eichel.  Do they also like pizza, steak, whiskey and beer?  I can't believe a hockey writer chose that language.

The disrespect Eichel still gets in some markets isn't annoying anymore, it's simply laughable. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Good stuff, and I am reasonably confident that KA is indeed trying for this.

I, too, am well put off by that contract.

It has to be asked:  could a trade for Schmaltzie presage a trade of Reino, on the theory that KA doesn't think Reino is worth what it will take to sign him?

Michael Scott NOOOOOOOO gif. 

Edited by Thorny