2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I hope not, as he'd be a good Larsson replacement. 

If we have Eichel, Staal, and Danault then Cozens is playing RW and the 4th line is playing 8 mins.  That would be a formidable C spine.  For one year at least.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

If we have Eichel, Staal, and Danault then Cozens is playing RW and the 4th line is playing 8 mins.  That would be a formidable C spine.  For one year at least.

That could work, or we could run a 4 lines set up where the checking line does it's thing and the non-top 6 other line is more akin to a scoring third line ala roy vanek max, not too low on minutes, but an offensively sheltered role. A set up where all 4 lines are getting rolled, with obvious leaning to Jack's. 

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Staal - Fast

Kahun - Cozens - Thompson (sheltered, prob the lowest mins by a bit)

Girgs - Danault - Okposo (tough matchups)

...I mean, we'd likely clean up.

Can switch TT and Fast if TT is playing good and Cozens need more vet help than just Kahun. 

Edited by Thorny

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That could work, or we could run a 4 lines set up where the checking line does it's thing and the non-top 6 other line is more akin to a scoring third line ala roy vanek max, not too low on minutes, but an offensively sheltered role. A set up where all 4 lines are getting rolled, with obvious leaning to Jack's. 

Skinner - Staal - Fast

Can switch TT and Fast if TT is playing good and Cozens need more vet help than just Kahun. 

Danault came 7th in Selke voting. He isn’t playing 4th line minutes. He apparently wants out of Montreal because he wants top 6 minutes.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner - Staal - Fast

8 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Danault came 7th in Selke voting. He isn’t playing 4th line minutes. He apparently wants out of Montreal because he wants top 6 minutes.

See above, I've addressed your concern through time-travel and a previous post. 

Larsson was the 2nd C on this team for ice time. The checking line C can get a ton on playing time. There isn't a scenario where we'd acquire Danault and not be able to find him his minutes. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I don't know much about The Schmaltz, but I think if he [is] a bona fide 2W, and not a Vesey, Frolik, Rodrigues, Sheary, or Sobotka "he could play up-and-down the lineup" guy, then this would be an improvement.

He is clearly better than all of those guys.

What do people think if the key player going their way is Casey?

It's not that the move is horrible in isolation it's that some perceive there to be much better options available. Who knows if that's actually the case, though! So it's super hard to field an answer. 

If @Ducky was the GM of Winnipeg, we could get Copp for Casey. I'd rather use Casey in that deal. 

If I was the GM, I'd convince Fast to come here, and trade Casey for something else or keep him.

Both would be better bang for our buck in my estimation. 

Somehow given the knowledge that this was our only available avenue, I think I'd make the deal.

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s an interesting one.  Young 45-50 point wing with significant term and salary commitments VS Casey’s hypothetical upside as a scoring line C with no financial commitment.

I wouldn’t be totally against it, but I think you need to be very confident that Schmaltz will provide at least consistent 2nd line play, because the long term financial commitment to him is even more significant than his 5.8 AAV.  A Schmaltz who falls off and is a 35 point 3rd liner might be even worse than a Mitts who is nothing.

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Selfishly, I like Casey because when he scores I can play the youtube video of Petula Clark's "Downtown" in German...  on the other hand...  Schmaltz is from Wisconsin and I could refer to him as the The Schmaltz. There are two sides to every Schmaltz. The Schmaltz is in you! I can work with that as well. Gotta have options.

This is where my lack of knowledge of Schmaltz's game is a problem. Does he have any grit or net-crashing or punishment to his game? Because if the grittiest guy in our top six is Skinner (who really is only good for retaliatory slashing penalties) then that leaves us weak for when teams like Tampa and Boston start ramping up the intensity in the first round of the playoffs.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It would be in Casey's best interest to have a change of scenery. He needs to be in a new environment where he can have a fresh start and where the new regime would not be bound by the performances of the past.  

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It would be in Casey's best interest to have a change of scenery. He needs to be in a new environment where he can have a fresh start and where the new regime would not be bound by the performances of the past.  

I don’t think his problem is that the regime is bound by the performances of the past.  I think he just needs to be better.

I think he would benefit from extended time (like the entire season) in Rochester working on his game, body, and confidence.

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It would be in Casey’s best interest to pull his head out his ass and train harder.  This ain’t high school hockey in Minnesota anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

I don’t think his problem is that the regime is bound by the performances of the past.  I think he just needs to be better.

I think he would benefit from extended time (like the entire season) in Rochester working on his game, body, and confidence.

I agree with your assessment of him as a player and what he needs to do to become an established NHL player. However, I still think that a fresh start somewhere else will serve him well. It seems that he is being bypassed by other young players such as Cozens and Kahun, and most likely a player selected in this draft. One player who I believe the organization has a higher opinion of is Arttu Ruotsalainen. I just don't see Mitts successfully working his way up the franchise ladder into the NHL. Mitts, like Nylander, can intermittently flash some dash. But in between those few tantalizing intervals is a game where he mostly fades away.  

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

It would be in Casey’s best interest to pull his head out his ass and train harder.  This ain’t high school hockey in Minnesota anymore.

When in doubt trust your eyes. I have nothing against him and root for him. But I haven't seen much progression to his game. And the biggest deficiency that I see is that I haven't seen enough passion in his play to make me believe that he can consistently turn it on. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When in doubt trust your eyes. I have nothing against him and root for him. But I haven't seen much progression to his game. And the biggest deficiency that I see is that I haven't seen enough passion in his play to make me believe that he can consistently turn it on. 

Yes this is my exact observation as well.  He doesn’t need a change of scenery.  He needs more drive, strength and consistency.  

That contract is like herpes, but Schmaltzie has been in the NHL for 4 years and has produced at a 50-pt pace in years 2, 3 and 4, including for a crappy AZ team in year 4.  He also had good Corsi and Fenwick #s this past year for AZ, FWIW.  He's not super-fast but is a respectable skater, has good hockey IQ (at least on offense) and is pretty decent at both passing and finishing. 

OTOH, he's on the skinny side and averaged 1 hit every other game, so don't expect physical play from him.  Also, he played 18 min per game in his 2nd and 3rd seasons but dropped to 15 min this past season.

I like the idea of snapping up a good forward to round out the top 6 at a heavy discount due to highly unusual circumstances, and this could be an excellent opportunity, but I'd sure like to know what else is out there.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

The first part is right on.

I feel like the team doesn't have time for the second part.

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

That contract is like herpes

Keep it to the virus thread please.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The first part is right on.

I feel like the team doesn't have time for the second part.

You mean that Buffalo needs to trade him before he loses value?  And/or that they don’t have time to wait for him because the NHL team needs help now?

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I guess depends what his value is.  Can he actually be traded for a useful NHL player?  I have doubts.

Oh, he would have to be part of a package, no doubt.  Or *maybe* one of those situations where some team needs to clear cap space.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

So when do hockey trades get going again... after 2nd round or sooner?

I would think after the draft is over. Right now during the draft it's more likely to be traded of picks with maybe the odd prospect thrown in to the deal. After the draft teams can reassess their needs and what they have them start dealing again before FA starts.