New CBA Ratified by NHLPA and BOG.

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well that means Reinhart isn't getting over 7. Two seasons makes sense as they are going to lose a ton from this season and next season. Maybe they will finally fix NHL Center Ice to not suck. 

Just curious, what issues were you having with NHL center ice?  I've found the best way to stream it is on Roku. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

Just curious, what issues were you having with NHL center ice?  I've found the best way to stream it is on Roku. 

I have been blacked out for no reason before. I did not have it this past season however so maybe it has improved. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Well that means Reinhart isn't getting over 7. Two seasons makes sense as they are going to lose a ton from this season and next season. Maybe they will finally fix NHL Center Ice to not suck. 

It's still on the table. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Only concern is that’s Samson 6th and 7th Accured Seasons and he can walk to UFA 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Only concern is that’s Samson 6th and 7th Accured Seasons and he can walk to UFA 

Two seasons makes zero sense for a contract, I'm assuming he meant the 2-season projection of a flat-cap. Unless you are thinking the flat-cap assists that walking-to-UFA situation for Sam.

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Two seasons makes zero sense for a contract, I'm assuming he meant the 2-season projection of a flat-cap. Unless you are thinking the flat-cap assists that walking-to-UFA situation for Sam.

Liger is way smarter than me on hockey stuff, so that’s probably what he meant. 

On 7/2/2020 at 8:05 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Does this mean the players voted in favour of the 4 year extension?

According to the story in the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/1909008/2020/07/03/all-the-details-of-the-current-framework-for-the-nhls-new-cba-agreement/?source=user_shared_article

It it will go to the players this week for a vote.  Interestingly absent from the agreement is compliance or amnesty buyouts.  So if the terms are accurate and there is new min salary of $750k and the Cap will not increase for two years, and no team has a compliance buyout, how can it not be more advantageous than ever to have the amount of Cap space the Sabres possess?   Yes, rookie GM and all, but he should be able to force a trade with a desperate team.  

On 7/2/2020 at 11:04 AM, LGR4GM said:

I have been blacked out for no reason before. I did not have it this past season however so maybe it has improved. 

Yeah, i live in buffalo so i was always under the impression that i was supposed to watch games on MSG.  But i have a fios non-sports package so i don't get MSG.  

On 7/4/2020 at 5:47 PM, Broken Ankles said:

According to the story in the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/1909008/2020/07/03/all-the-details-of-the-current-framework-for-the-nhls-new-cba-agreement/?source=user_shared_article

It it will go to the players this week for a vote.  Interestingly absent from the agreement is compliance or amnesty buyouts.  So if the terms are accurate and there is new min salary of $750k and the Cap will not increase for two years, and no team has a compliance buyout, how can it not be more advantageous than ever to have the amount of Cap space the Sabres possess?   Yes, rookie GM and all, but he should be able to force a trade with a desperate team.  

Interesting thought.  A fair amount of the space will go to reinhart ullmark montour and oloffson.  I'd be wary on taking on too much bad money (we already have okposo and skinner) or too much term (looming dahlin extension), but i think there's some players out there who will need to get moved.   

10 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Yeah, i live in buffalo so i was always under the impression that i was supposed to watch games on MSG.  But i have a fios non-sports package so i don't get MSG.  

Interesting thought.  A fair amount of the space will go to reinhart ullmark montour and oloffson.  I'd be wary on taking on too much bad money (we already have okposo and skinner) or too much term (looming dahlin extension), but i think there's some players out there who will need to get moved.   

I'd trade montour. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

yeah - the problem is you have to have a team that needs a puck moving D, while also needing to shed salary. 

Here are the top 11 Right handed D-men heading into free agency next season.  Not all are necessarily "puck-moving", but the top available by AAV. 

The Sabres have two factors working in their favor  for trading Montour:

1.) He is the only RFA in this list, which means cost controlled.  In a year where every team is looking to shed Cap, Montour's contract over the next 2-3 years will be far less than those above him.  If he files arbitration what could he make next season?  $3.5m-$3.75m?

2.) It't likely that the UFA's sign long term deals and select a city they want to raise kids in and/or potentially retire from.  What if Winnipeg or another city vying for one of these UFA's is a city where they have no interest in playing?  The UFA's have the negotiating collateral.  Montour has extremely little. 

I have a feeling he will be traded and his return will surprise some. 

1913736449_rightD.thumb.JPG.f15896a22351399a9c9dfa75f9cdcf47.JPG

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I’d like to have someone with an analytics bent show me whether Montour’s +13 in 54 games is irrelevant.

It’s the best total put up by any Sabre by a fair margin since 2011.

Also, why do people think Montour isn’t a good fit with Ralph when Ralph used him more than any defenceman other than Risto, despite the fact Montour wasn’t a go-to guy on either special team?

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d like to have someone with an analytics bent show me whether Montour’s +13 in 54 games is irrelevant.

It’s the best total put up by any Sabre by a fair margin since 2011.

Also, why do people think Montour isn’t a good fit with Ralph when Ralph used him more than any defenceman other than Risto, despite the fact Montour wasn’t a go-to guy on either special team?

To be clear I am not trading Montour because he is awful. I suggested it because they have stated they love Risto and Miller is already signed and Joki ain't going nowhere. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

To be clear I am not trading Montour because he is awful. I suggested it because they have stated they love Risto and Miller is already signed and Joki ain't going nowhere. 

As long as Krueger is the HC, would expect Ristolainen & Jokiharju are here for the duration.  But would expect Miller traded out before Montour was.  (Even though Montour brings back a larger haul & still believe Risto has more value than any of those 4.  Really think Risto needs to be part of the 2C package to get a guy that adequately fills that hole.)

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As long as Krueger is the HC, would expect Ristolainen & Jokiharju are here for the duration.  But would expect Miller traded out before Montour was.  (Even though Montour brings back a larger haul & still believe Risto has more value than any of those 4.  Really think Risto needs to be part of the 2C package to get a guy that adequately fills that hole.)

If neither Montour nor Risto brings back a 2C in return, then Miller is likely to be traded since we would already have our top 3 RHD's (Jokiharju, Risto, Montour).

In that case, Dahlin, Jokiharju, and Montour are the 3 protected d-men for the Seattle draft because I doubt Seattle would select Risto with his 1-year $5.4 million contract.

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Reinhart doesn't deserve 7m....barely over 6m if you ask me.

Are you using Ehlers as a comparable? From that perspective, I agree. A little over 6 would seem fair. 

But I’d argue the Jets got a strong value contract with that deal and I don’t see that happening with the Sabres in this case. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.