Botterill Returning Next Season- Kim Pegula

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the right decision as the overall organization is better now then when he got here. The Amerks are much much better.  The pipeline is deeper with legit NHL prospects.  The Sabres are still a work in progress.  The defense is much improved.  However, I agree with the critics that the middle six of the forward group needs significant improvement, which IMHO will come mostly from within.

That said, Jbot still needs to get a 2C if he wants to save his job beyond next season.

The leading scorer for the Amerks was JS Dea with 39 points.

The leading scorer for the AHL had 39 goals. 

Dea, who is 26, was ranked 58th in AHL In scoring. 

in three seasons with Botterill as GM, the Sabres been not been successful in exceeding GMTMs high of 82 points and they haven’t even matched the 78 point season that he was fired after. 

Desperate GMs make stupid moves when their job is on the line and even with the ROR Trade excluded he has made a Multitude of questionable moves.  With him in desperation mode, I cringe at his potential moves 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

in three seasons with Botterill as GM, the Sabres been not been successful in exceeding GMTMs high of 82 points and they haven’t even matched the 78 point season that he was fired after. 

Desperate GMs make stupid moves when their job is on the line and even with the ROR Trade excluded he has made a Multitude of questionable moves.  With him in desperation mode, I cringe at his potential moves 

Maybe he works well under pressure???  Lol

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We're gonna move Reinhart and Ristolainen for peanuts 

• Like (+1) 1

We have no pipeline of talent and JBott's judgment has been suspect with regard to the cap and trades.  Could not even make the playoffs this year when the pool was expanded to more teams.  I have no confidence in his ability to improve the team in the near or long term.  I guess the housecleaning will come at the end of the next season.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

These people are unbelievable 

Condescending and patronizing. Not surprised. Yeah if the Pegulas have proven anything the past nine years it’s that they know how to build a successful hockey club. ?

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Not at all surprised. I think this is a make or break season though. 

I think we thought that a couple years ago. And maybe a couple before that. Oh, and a couple before that as well. You give them long enough I’m sure we will at least make the playoffs once in a generation. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This isn’t about the money. They know they stand to lose more in ticket sales then they would owe him.

In the end, as much as I don’t like JBOT, it makes the most sense. If they fire him now, they either have to fire the coach or likely have to fire him after one year. Next year is going to be one last chance for them both to make it work or blow it all up again.

You made me think of an even worse reason than everyone things why JNot is being kept: they asked around and found out that basically no one with any credibility would come here after COVID-19 along with the organisational dysfunction.  We are the JBottom of the barrel.

One is clueless, the other was posted by Tampa

Just now, E4 ... Ke2 said:

You made me think of an even worse reason than everyone things why JNot is being kept: they asked around and found out that basically no one with any credibility would come here after COVID-19 along with the organisational dysfunction.  We are the JBottom of the barrel.

No one would come take one of only 31 jobs on the planet? Can we not use this excuse?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Not at all surprised. I think this is a make or break season though. 

For Botterill? Or for the franchise? Or both?

Does it make sense to leave Botterill in charge for an offseason where much roster flexibility is available? I fear if he fails, this indeed with be a "break" season. 

With long-term ramifications. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

One is clueless, the other was posted by Tampa

No one would come take one of only 31 jobs on the planet? Can we not use this excuse?

"No one with any credibility."  I assume they can get many people.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This isn’t about the money. They know they stand to lose more in ticket sales then they would owe him.

In the end, as much as I don’t like JBOT, it makes the most sense. If they fire him now, they either have to fire the coach or likely have to fire him after one year. Next year is going to be one last chance for them both to make it work or blow it all up again.

So? If you have a wildly incompetent GM at the helm, are you not prioritizing fixing that issue over the optics of letting a coach go early? Come on.

As for the rest, that's a big fear - that they think, heck, if BOTTERILL can't retool this, let's blow it all up again. That would be a joke. They absolutely need to stop selling us on/aiming for these big massive sweeping overhauls. Better believe the next GM sells us on a nice long term job-security induced build if ownership is still buying into that crap. 

No. Just get someone in here who can make a FEW savvy moves. Eichel will take care of a lot of the rest. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Lol.  
Since Jbot took over the Amerks have been in a playoff spot all three seasons including this one after not making the playoffs for a decade. Who cares that Dea only had 39 pts.  This coming season will also be the first season in which a significant number of Jbot’s draftees will be in Roch instead of the crap TM left behind.

Its also not a real argument that he hasn’t exceeded TM best team’s pts.  They were on pace for 80-81 pts this season and the metrics for GA vs the rest of the NHL are vastly over his 3 seasons and I think everyone would agree they would rather the current group then TM’s Kulikov, Franson and Gorges. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

They may have more info, which I could argue they don't, but even if they do have more info, they sure as hell don't know what to do with it. 

And insulting your fanbase isn't gonna win over any fan. 

"We've missed the playoffs for 9 straight years, people. I *think* we know a little something about running this team"

?

59 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We're gonna move Reinhart and Ristolainen for peanuts 

We're gonna keep Risto, and trade Reinhart. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.