Trade: Erod and Sheary traded to Pittsburgh for C/LW Dominik Kahun

LGR4GM

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When all is said and done we got Kahun for a 5th.  I’d make that trade every day of the week.

How did you work that out?

- - - 

Disappointingly I didn't see this mentioned after reading through the thread, didn't want to be the one the post this as I'm not sure how the ins and outs of this work with regards to the cap: apparently by taking on Kahun, we are going to be subject to a fairly substantial cap hit penalty next year due to the amount of ELC players on our team hitting their bonus marks this year. 

Speculation Botterill wasn't aware of the penalty at time of the move, though that I am skeptical on. 

Edited by Thorny
Ah, I now see the discussion in the broader deadline thread. I'll see myself out

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

Disappointingly I didn't see this mentioned after reading through the thread, didn't want to be the one the post this as I'm not sure how the ins and outs of this work with regards to the cap: apparently by taking on Kahun, we are going to be subject to a fairly substantial cap hit penalty next year due to the amount of ELC players on our team hitting their bonus marks this year. 

Speculation Botterill wasn't aware of the penalty at time of the move, though that I am skeptical on. 

Sheary and ERod were gone after this season had they stayed and Simmonds will likely be gone as well.  So the net affect of these trades at seasons end is that we are out a 5th rd pick but have Kahun.

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

What bonuses do people expect him to qualify for?  He's only got 10 goals, 17 assists, and isn't even averaging 14 minutes TOI.  He won't likely be high enough in team categories to qualify for bonuses and also won't likely qualify for team paid leaguewide based bonuses (stuff like being top 10 in goals leaguewide that Panarin qualified for back as a Blackhawk - and my earlier post about bonuses neglected to include those sort of bonuses in the talk of Dahlin & other ELC's, oops.  Sorry).

Saw that concern from others yesterday - that he'll get some serious bonus cash, but looking at his numbers, really not sure what the big payday might be.

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What bonuses do people expect him to qualify for?  He's only got 10 goals, 17 assists, and isn't even averaging 14 minutes TOI.  He won't likely be high enough in team categories to qualify for bonuses and also won't likely qualify for team paid leaguewide based bonuses (stuff like being top 10 in goals leaguewide that Panarin qualified for back as a Blackhawk - and my earlier post about bonuses neglected to include those sort of bonuses in the talk of Dahlin & other ELC's, oops.  Sorry).

Saw that concern from others yesterday - that he'll get some serious bonus cash, but looking at his numbers, really not sure what the big payday might be.

Only payday with be his extension.  No idea how to value his contract.  My guess is 2 years at 2.5 per season?

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Kahun add is being mentioned continually with regards to the potential bonus overage. What am I missing? Is that argument just that we shouldn't have brought any money in in deadline deals, so as to cover for the impending bonuses? 

Edited by Thorny

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The Kahun add is being mentioned continually with regards to the potential bonus overage. What am I missing? Is that argument just that we shouldn't have brought any money in in deadline deals, so as to cover for the impending bonuses? 

From what I saw on capfriendly, kahun made $2.8 in bonuses last year and is is expected to make them this year too.

Perhaps the issue is the Sabres are on the hook for the full bonus, as opposed to a prorated chunk like the salary?

From Botterill's presser it clearly looked like a premeditated, considered decision to accept the overage. Perhaps it was one of the reasons why Rutherford was willing to sacrifice Kahun for two hacks?

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From what I saw on capfriendly, kahun made $2.8 in bonuses next year and is is expected to make them this year too.

Perhaps the issue is the Sabres are on the hook for the full bonus, as opposed to a prorated chunk like the salary?

From Botterill's presser it clearly looked like a premeditated, considered decision to accept the overage. Perhaps it was one of the reasons why Rutherford was willing to sacrifice Kahun for two hacks?

That would make sense. You mean 2.8 last year, correct? (and then the same this year)

I'm not going to rake Bahtrill over the coals for the added cap assuming he factored that into his evaluation. In that case, we can simply evaluate the player. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why would you want to?

Too bad we don't have a good hockey team to talk about instead.

We may not have a good team, but we do have a mediocre one playing at the level of a pretty good one the last couple weeks. For Buffalo, that's saying something!

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Reinhart only takes faceoffs when Jack gets kicked out of the dot. I'm not sure I've ever seen him put out there for a faceoff, unless Jack has rib injuries, so they've probably done it recently, which makes it a bad time for this comment even if it is correct in spirit 

He took several faceoffs in the last game, and not after Jack had been booted.

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Where do we look for contract bonus terms?

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

To Taro. 

Sadly, no.  Don't have those details, but would really like to know where to find them.  During the summer, jf somebody hasn't tracked those sorts of details down will see if I can't find news articles / other sources spelling out details such as that.

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From what I saw on capfriendly, kahun made $2.8 in bonuses last year and is is expected to make them this year too.

NHL Numbers (Puck Pedia) was showing, when looking at the Sabres cap page, that he had $925,000 with the $2,800,000 bonus last year and this year.  But when I looked back at Chicago's page from last year it showed his hit as only being $925,000 - aka he didn't earn any bonuses.  Considering he only had 13 goals and 24 assists with 14 minutes and change of ice time he shouldn't have earned any bonuses as those totals wouldn't put him anywhere close to earning any team paid bonuses (neither team based nor league based).

So, unless somebody points out what threshold he cleared to receive a bonus, I'm going with he didn't earn any last year and hasn't this year yet.  Because his numbers don't appear to earn him any.  (Top 6 in ice time, 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, 0.73 ppg, top 3 +/-, all rookie team, all star game, ash mvp, wasn't top 10 (or better for some categories) in any category.)

Again, maybe he's earned bonuses, but it certainly doesn't appear that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.