Trade: Erod and Sheary traded to Pittsburgh for C/LW Dominik Kahun

LGR4GM

Really, Lazar took E-Rod's spot and I hope we have him next year. Guy plays with more character then half the rest of the roster if not more, and is one of the few guys who can win a face off. 

E-Rod was fast but nothing else. Couldn't shoot, couldn't score, pretty soft, didn't work all that hard. Glad he's gone.  Even if Kahun is no better than Girgensens we still win this trade. 

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Is there any proof to that? I know a quick look at his corsi numbers isn't the end all be all, but they look like garbage

I don't have anything offhand, just from what I've picked up watching. He just seems effective back there.

Here, do you like these pictures? Because this one agrees:

lazar.thumb.png.0479fc794d26de44ea035ae68492259d.png

Threat is a simplified expected goal model. It's not anything to build your lineup off of, but negative 15% is a strong positive in the defensive zone by the model 

Lol, offensively, his threat is -19% 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It’s kind of a head scratcher on why they traded him. One minute he’s playing on the top line, next he is gone. 

I believe that he was on the top line similarly to how girgs and Vesey were on the top line earlier in the year. Neither of them belonged there, but due to injuries, they were placed there for a few games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I don't have anything offhand, just from what I've picked up watching. He just seems effective back there.

Here, do you like these pictures? Because this one agrees:

lazar.thumb.png.0479fc794d26de44ea035ae68492259d.png

Threat is a simplified expected goal model. It's not anything to build your lineup off of, but negative 15% is a strong positive in the defensive zone by the model 

I do like pictures haha thanks

Where do you get these? They're much more informative to base player opinions off of than just hockey-reference, which is what I use.

Just now, WildCard said:

I do like pictures haha thanks

Where do you get these? They're much more informative to base player opinions off of than just hockey-reference, which is what I use.

hockeyviz.com

Evolvingwild doesn't let you get anything without supporting them on patreon so that's why those RAPM charts are so absent this year

hockeyviz has stuff you can access without the subscription

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I Remember Imlach said:

I hope you're right, but if you are: at 24 he's on his third NHL team in two years and he can't be that expensive.  I'm really wondering why Pittsburgh did this deal.  Unannounced future considerations owed to JBot?

I read a piece earlier today that said since he was an RFA, that the Pens weren't in a position to pay him what he'd get in his next deal. Which will probably be around 3-3.5mil/per. Not huge money by any means but if they have other considerations then it makes sense. Plus for as much as we look down on Sheary & Erod, from the Pens perspective i can see what they liked on the return. I think its a win win for both teams with an edge to us, simply because both Sheary & Erod were gone anyways.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

I read a piece earlier today that said since he was an RFA, that the Pens weren't in a position to pay him what he'd get in his next deal. Which will probably be around 3-3.5mil/per. Not huge money by any means but if they have other considerations then it makes sense. Plus for as much as we look down on Sheary & Erod, from the Pens perspective i can see what they liked on the return. I think its a win win for both teams with an edge to us, simply because both Sheary & Erod were gone anyways.

Definitely seems a win-win.

Pens wanted Sheary back - and they get him.  Even if he could very well be a rental.

Sabres wanted to get rid of Rodrigues (AND IMHO Sheary) and Sabres get a younger player that they can re-sign if they want.   Pens have an opportunity to decide whether to re-sign Rodrigues next year, which from a limited reading up on Kahun would seem to likely be for less than it'll take to re-sign Kahun.

Sabres wanted to lower their cap this season - mission accomplished.

Win-win for both.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

hockeyviz.com

Evolvingwild doesn't let you get anything without supporting them on patreon so that's why those RAPM charts are so absent this year

hockeyviz has stuff you can access without the subscription

Who do you want from Evolving Hockey?

Here is Lazar’s 

C4B3EAAF-5972-4B3D-935E-CAD0ED2557BE.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 1

Because Kahun has shown more individual skill (including ability to actually put the puck in the net) than a guy like Simon. We sort of need guys who can manufacture offense even if they're not tied to Sid/Geno's hip pocket. In the games where Kahun and Simon weren't on either guy's line, Kahun showed much more promise.

I'm not against adding Sheary, I'm just not sure why the club was so quick to move Kahun to do it. I doubt Botterill was going to hang up the phone if JR offered Simon instead of Kahun.

My opinion is the Pens are in win mode now while Sid and Malkin can still be counted on. Sheary has playoff experience, Kahun doesn't. ERod is a backup in case of injuries. Kahun is still under team control so even if he isn't much better than Sheary it's a win for the Sabres also although the opinion of others seem to be he's the best player in the trade. I also think that with both trades it tells the players in the locker room that management hasn't given up on them and to continue to play hard.

Playoff team, I doubt it but thinking they are and the experience of it, is a big time plus for the players especially those that haven't played in them before and gives the vets something to shoot at also.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.