Trade: Erod and Sheary traded to Pittsburgh for C/LW Dominik Kahun

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

From what I saw on capfriendly, kahun made $2.8 in bonuses last year and is is expected to make them this year too.

Perhaps the issue is the Sabres are on the hook for the full bonus, as opposed to a prorated chunk like the salary?

From Botterill's presser it clearly looked like a premeditated, considered decision to accept the overage. Perhaps it was one of the reasons why Rutherford was willing to sacrifice Kahun for two hacks?

I think that the bonuses listed on capfriendly are the max possible bonus money that player could earn, not what they have/will qualify to actually receive, but I’m really not certain.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I think that the bonuses listed on capfriendly are the max possible bonus money that player could earn, not what they have/will qualify to actually receive, but I’m really not certain.

Pretty sure you're correct there.  Again, we're hearing that Kahun (always want to add that last 'a' at the end there) received over $2MM in bonuses last year (but looking at last year's cap hits doesn't actually show that) and is likely due that again, but he's going to end up in the very low teens in goals, low 20's for assists, and around 14 minutes/ game; just like last year.  None of which should qualify for bonuses.

While performance bonuses count against the salary cap, teams are permitted to exceed the salary cap due to performance bonuses, to a maximum of 7.5% of the Salary Cap.  

If a team exceeds the Salary Cap due to performance bonuses, then any amount over the Salary Cap is considered a Bonus Carryover, and counts against the cap in the next season. 

"A" level performance bonuses are paid by the team (not the league) and an ELC can contain any number of individual "A" level performance bonuses. Each individual "A" level bonus can pay out a maximum of $212,500 and combine for a maximum of $850,000. So four maxed out "A" level performance bonuses.

Forwards...

-Top 6 in TOI on team (min. 42 games)*
-20 goals (min.)**
-35 assists (min.)**
-60 points (min.)**
-0.73 points per game (min. 42 games)
-Top 3 forwards in +/- on team (min. 42 games)
-Makes end of season All-Star Rookie Team
-Selected or play in NHL All-Star Game
-NHL All-Star Game MVP

Defense

-Top 4 in TOI for defenders on team (min. 42 games)*
-10 goals (min.)**
-25 assists (min.)**
-40 point (min.)**
-0.49 points per game (min. 42 games)
-Top 3 defenders in +/- on team (min. 42 games)
-Top 2 defenders in blocked shots on team (min. 42 games)
-NHL All-Star Game MVP

Goalies

-1,800 minutes played (min.)**
-GAA<median GAA for all goalies***
-SV%>median SV% for all goalies***
-20 wins
-Shutouts>median shutouts for all goalies***
-NHL All-Star Game MVP

Any player on an ELC is eligible for a "B" level bonus. These are paid by the league. That means Simon Holmstrom could receive performance bonuses. Some "B" level bonuses (winning the Hart, Richard, Vezina, Jennings, Norris, Conn Smythe, or Selke) can be negotiated with the team.

Level "B" bonuses are paid based on the CBA. It sets out how much can be paid per bonus. A "B" level bonus is paid for one of the following:

• Winning a select trophy or award: Hart, Norris, Vezina, Selke, Richard, Lady Byng, Jennings, or Calder
  • Named to the first or second All-Star Team (end of season All-Star team)
  • Forwards: top 10 in goals, assists, points, points per game for forwards
  • Defensemen: top 10 in goals, assists, points, points per game for defensemen
  • Goalies: top five in GAA (25 game min.), SV% (25 game min.), wins (30 game min.)

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, Crosschecking said:

Derek Plante's name is on the Cup too. Let's not forget that.

At least Plante got that terrific OT goal against Ottawa that advanced the Sabres at the start of the Ted Nolan era. He did something in a Sabres uniform. Erod, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching this kid in blue and gold, we clearly received the more talented player in the deal.  We got a cost controlled middle six forward for two guys who had no future in Buffalo.  However, I still don’t understand this trade from a Penguin point of view other then a pure “we can’t afford to re-sign him.”

I guess it could be that simple.  The Pens didn’t want to pay his bonuses and didn’t have the cap space to re-sign him this summer so they “dumped” him on us for two UFAs that give them added depth for the playoff push but who aren’t in their long-term plans.

It seems to me that they probably should have kept him for the playoffs and then traded him this summer for a better long-term asset.  

Now the question is whether or not this kid is going to hold down the 2nd line RW spot next season. I really like the instant chemistry he has found with VO and MoJo, but that isn’t a long-term solution to our scoring issues.  Still, the kid has brought speed, some skill and effort.  

• Like (+1) 4

Botterill fleeced the Penguins on this one.  Kid has the motor that too many of the players on our team lacks, and has the hockey IQ too many of our players also lack.  Reminds me of Briere.  I'm with the above poster-- only reason I see this trade happening is because of the money owed or some sort of contract demands we haven't heard about yet.

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

ERod is not a pending UFA

Might as well be, nobody is going to re-sign him at is QO rate of over 2 million per annum

On 2/26/2020 at 10:38 PM, Brawndo said:

Something else that’s cool about Kahun, he and Jokiharju were roommates in Chicago last year 

Huh.  Small world.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I still don’t understand this trade from a Penguin point of view other then a pure “we can’t afford to re-sign him.”

Plus they know Sheary is a contributor on Syndey's wing.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, triumph_communes said:

Reminds me of Briere.

I agree.

32 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Faster than Jochen but not as strong along the boards, no?

I agree and would also say that his hands are better than Jochen's.  Hecht didn't have the ability to score the SO goal that Kahun scored the other night.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

If he ends up with Hecht's offensive upside, we'll all be very happy.  I think Hecht might be a bit underrated here.

This is overly relevant but I went and looked up Hecht’s stats and then got to thinking about how many 40 point scorers the 2005-06 team had. 11 players between 40-73 points. This team has 40 between 40-78. 

I can see the Jochen comparison in terms of versatility and where he might slot on a depth chart, but their games are nothing alike. Hecht was great along the boards and, along with Grier, the most responsible forward defensively on that team.

Kahun hasn’t really made an impression defensively yet, and he hasn’t shown anything in terms of puck battle skills. He looks like a skilled, smart perimeter player 

He doesn’t carry the puck nearly as much, but so far the Sabre he reminds me the most of in terms of his strengths, and where and how he might be used, is actually Johansson.

It’s nice to actually add a guy who makes a good impression for once, but let’s see how he plays out the string before we decide how he fits into next years lineup.

• Thanks (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

PIT wasn't actively looking to trade Kahun.  PIT wanted Sheary.  JBOT asked for Kahun in return.  PIT initially balked, so JBOT included EROD, selling him as a sweetner.

This is as farcical as any Pacific Rim movie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.