Preseason Finale - Sabres @ Penguins - 4PMEastern MSG WGR

Taro T

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Your consistent complaining about posters is a lot more noticeable than posters' complaining about hockey things

Back to you. Please look at the posters you accuse me of complaints about. Sorry.

Edited by Radar

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Back to you. Please look at the posters you accuse me of complaints about. Sorry.

It was literally the most innocuous thing in the world! Are you kidding?

The guy made the point that players are bound to be motivated when their jobs are on the line. THE HORROR, HOW DARE HE RUIN YOUR DAY

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It was literally the most innocuous thing in the world! Are you kidding?

The guy made the point that players are bound to be motivated when their jobs are on the line. THE HORROR, HOW DARE HE RUIN YOUR DAY

Don't  have to yell Flagg. Can we at least have a positive comment go without a rationale for not being positive? Yeah some posters could definitively ruin my day. Guess I need to move on. Some on here are just too smart hockey minds for novices like me.

• Like (+1) 3

-Miller with Dahlin worked really well. Risto should have lost his job on the first line tonight.

-Okposo is done and needs to be waived.

-Thompson looks better 

-Jokiharju will be on the Amerks

-Mittelstadt doesn't look stronger yet. Still falls down too much and doesn't win battles. The talent is there but his game needs more rounding out. 

-Vesey isn't bad

-Ullmark isn't better than Lehner yet.

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

It seemed like the line that had it together tonight was Larsson's line.  The two regulation goals came with them out there.

Girgensons & Larsson should always be together.

Glad to see Mittelstadt get the winner.  As soon as it went to extra shooters told the wife that Mitts would win it. ?

Hopefully that gets some of his confidence back.  He had a rough last 1/2 of the 2nd & 1st 1/2 of the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

-Miller with Dahlin worked really well. Risto should have lost his job on the first line tonight.

-Okposo is done and needs to be waived.

-Thompson looks better 

-Jokiharju will be on the Amerks

-Mittelstadt doesn't look stronger yet. Still falls down too much and doesn't win battles. The talent is there but his game needs more rounding out. 

-Vesey isn't bad

-Ullmark isn't better than Lehner yet.

That pairing really did work well.  Pretty sure Krueger wants to play McCabe and Miller, but until Montour is back, run with Dahlin-Miller & McCabe - Ristolainen.

Gilmore might have beat out Scandella tonight too (a goal not withstanding).

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

The players whose games were meaningfully different to me this preseason, through one way or another, are:

Tage (stronger, a little smarter)
Dahlin (better straight line speed)
Olofsson (he's ready)
Okposo (he's dropped off another cliff)

Tage probably deserves a look in the top 12, but if the NHL game does to him what it did last year, we need to be quick with the hook. Dahlin hopefully will minimize his mistakes and take another step forward everywhere else, and of course he'll make the team. And Victor is definitely in the top 12.

Casey had a disappointing preseason. 

I didn't see anything in preseason games that would point to changes for anyone else, essentially. That doesn't mean players didn't grow or regress, but it's going to take NHL games to verify. 

I'd go into the season with 

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey/Sheary
Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart
Sheary/Vesey - Mitts - Rodrigues
Zemgus - Larsson - Thompson, though I'm not sure where to put Thompson really. Wouldn't complain abotu a guy like Wilson taking Zemgus' spot, but I consistently prefer Zemgus' PK track record and effectiveness with Larry in the fourth line role to anything the other options give.

I think we're going to see Sobotka. Sobotka played his typical game this September, and it's less ineffective against preseason opponents than it is in the regular season. I don't expect to see anything different from him based on these games and never would have had him in camp in the first place. I vividly recall his preseason games last season and don't think his "good" play this preseason is any different from those. And even if it continues to start the year...the guy earned a C in my first-27-games report card last season before falling off the face of the planet, so I'm just not ready to be fooled by this guy.

on defense, Joki absolutely needs to go down, and analytics twitter is going to spazz

Dahlin - Montour (when healthy)
Pilut (when healthy) - Risto
McCabe - Miller

Are our clear best starting 6 IMO, though Pilut is going to be out a while. Scandella is going to play instead. If he plays with Risto, it probably won't be pretty

the only interesting roster choice on defense is if Gilmour has been good enough to take Nelson's job as the 7D. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Gilmour had a good game.  Tage is making me stand by the last assessment I posted about him - he has earned a look for the first few regular season games, at least. 

Ullmark has taken the starter position, by maybe two hairs.

The PP was dreadful.

Great to see Z and Angry Larry back together.

Not sure what to think of Vesey, yet.  Lazar was invisible until the end.  

Mitts.  

Jokiharju needs time in Rochester, at least.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Tage (stronger, a little smarter)

Tage probably deserves a look in the top 12, but if the NHL game does to him what it did last year, we need to be quick with the hook. 

Glad to see you've come around on Tage.  Again, not a fan, but when a guy puts in the work and it shows, he needs to be rewarded.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.