GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Edmonton Oilers. 14 January 2019 @ 9:00 PM EST on MSG.

SABRES 0311

8 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am starting to think that eichel is not going to be in Buffalo at the end of his 8 year contract. If he wants out of this city in a couple years, I think there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. He is proven tonight that he is not a leader and the continuous losing will force him out.

This goes against every interview he has made this year.  

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

Made an appointment for the unemployment office. 

He didn't do that. The team did that.  I'd like to know what Phil could have done differently.  

This has been pretty routine since Lindy.  It's what got Lindy canned.  

Just now, ... said:

What did he do?

If what Ray said is true, that the team was “lifeless” at practice, he did nothing to motivate them or adjust that. 

The PP has been atrocious for how many games now? HCPH has done nothing to adjust it. The fact that he had the 4th line out there on the PP, instead of using that time to tinker,  just shows what he is as a coach.

Not only starting Hutton - but leaving him in after 3 and 4 goals - bad coaching.

It may not be a world-beater lineup, but there’s enough talent there to beat a team like the Oilers. He’s not the right man for the job. 

• Like (+1) 1

Looking forward to the comments tomorrow morning. A lot of “being too hard on a young team”, “crying over one bad game”, and my favorite “Eichel is still in the same league as McDavid”. 

BTW I do believe Jack is a talented player, just not McDavid talented. The reason why I am upset with him is he checks out of games. If he wasn’t making 10 mil and wearing the C it might not be so bad. 

If he is too young to expect a full game effort from him take the C away. Lead by example or get out of the way for someone who will.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

If what Ray said is true, that the team was “lifeless” at practice, he did nothing to motivate them or adjust that. 

The PP has been atrocious for how many games now? HCPH has done nothing to adjust it. The fact that he had the 4th line out there on the PP, instead of using that time to tinker,  just shows what he is as a coach.

Not only starting Hutton - but leaving him in after 3 and 4 goals - bad coaching.

It may not be a world-beater lineup, but there’s enough talent there to beat a team like the Oilers. He’s not the right man for the job. 

None of the these points make sense - these are all reasons you've come up with to justify a boogeyman. 

Each player has a contract and, ideally, some semblance of pride.  They should motivate themselves.  I don't disagree a good coach should be able to pump up his team at times, but, those speeches really only happen in the movies.

The PP has been an on-going problem.  And I'm sure they've been totally ignoring it.  And the players don't matter.

Are you serious?  Ullmark got lit up, too.  You leave in a goalie as long as you can to try and allow the goalie - and team - to recover, individually, and as a team.

I think, clearly, there WAS NOT enough talent out there to beat the Oilers tonight.  They sucked.  They had no life and no urgency.  

We've all been down this road, now, too many times to be fooled by the boogeyman approach to coach firings.  How about some real reasoning, some real evidence that supports the torches and pitchforks.

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Looking forward to the comments tomorrow morning. A lot of “being too hard on a young team”, “crying over one bad game”, and my favorite “Eichel is still in the same league as McDavid”. 

BTW I do believe Jack is a talented player, just not McDavid talented. The reason why I am upset with him is he checks out of games. If he wasn’t making 10 mil and wearing the C it might not be so bad. 

If he is too young to expect a full game effort from him take the C away. Lead by example or get out of the way for someone who will.

I've been critical of Eichel's ability to check out of games in the past, but there is no way he is right at the moment.

No idea what his injury is exactly (ribs? back?) but he's not right.

It's hard to be critical of a crap performance if we are to assume he's injured.

20 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am starting to think that eichel is not going to be in Buffalo at the end of his 8 year contract. If he wants out of this city in a couple years, I think there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. He is proven tonight that he is not a leader and the continuous losing will force him out.

Probably play for his hometown team- Boston

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

I've been critical of Eichel's ability to check out of games in the past, but there is no way he is right at the moment.

It's hard to be critical of a crap performance if we are to assume he's injured.

I agree a lingering injury will slow him down. But a lifeless practice is where a Captain should step up especially if the coach doesn’t. This why I said I wish I could hear what was said in the locker room.

The problem is he has checked out before when healthy. If we see it during 45 second shifts the team sees it even more. That kind of stuff is infectious.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

We seen what this team can play like when they are skating hard and forechecking hard. And when they don’t skate hard they look soft. The power play sucks. They are easy to figure out . Guys should be moving around and rotating spots. But nothing. This team has been fading fast and are losing a chance at finally making the playoffs. I said awhile back that Housley didn’t seem like he was the right guy for this team and I still stand by it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Eichel is a pretty honest interview, but he obviously puts on a good face.  I would LOVE to hear his thoughts uncensored.  

Just thinking he says the right things into a mic but it doesn’t translate into the team’s performance. I don’t blame him for everything wrong, but I don’t think this team has an identity or real leadership. Something to fall back on when the system and game plan go to hell. 

I want him on this team because he has skills and someday he may be a good Captain. But he needs to hold teammates accountable and they, along with the staff need to hold him accountable.

This team needs something to pull them together and adversity isn’t doing it. Neither is good interviews. Maybe a players only meeting where the have at it. I don’t know.

Just now, ... said:

What we've seen tonight precedes Jack, precedes Phil, precedes JBot.  We've seen this kind of garbage for 10 years.  

Yup... and I don’t even know where we are going.  I can’t see anything that says we are getting better, at least not good enough to ever be contenders anytime soon.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We are the better team by far and losing a bizarre game.

I am concerned about the mental psyche of this team. 

You just knew McDavid would beat Hutton with ease.  And he did 

This is why a greater importance should be put on winning games now.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Our top goaltending prospect is from Finland 

You spelled talented wrong.

We have more than enough talent to not be a tire fire for 21 games. 

It's Edmonton.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

That's my point. There is way too much needed from fourth-year players.  When they stop producing everything stops and that's not sustainable.

Crosby won the cup in his 4th year and Malkin lifted the Conn Smythe. 

Like I'm not saying Eichel has to be Crosby but your argument that we can't expect a "full season" or whatever from 4th years is bonkers. 

Agreed on them needing help. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

For what it's worth he said he's 100% but I'm not sure you can trust a player for something like that. 

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

Just watching him you can see he's not 100%.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Right. I mean you don't want to call the guy a liar but he's hardly going to say, "I'm about 85% but think at that level I'll contribute more than Vlady on the first line, so I'm playing."

Or maybe he's just in a slump. Who knows.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.