GDT LV Golden Knights vs Sabres at KB Center 3pm on MSG & NHL Network and WGR550am

jsb

51 minutes ago, shrader said:

We shouldn't try and generalize this down to a case of criticizing an athlete.  In this specific case, a teenager is being mocked for something very common among teens.  Sure, people are free to say whatever they want and most of the time this stuff borders on pathetic, something completely unrelated to the that player's profession.  The age factor here just adds an additional layer of sleaze to the whole thing.

And it would seem that at 18yrs old Dahlin is much more mature than some on these boards

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Really, you don’t say... and this is a surprise to us thumb jockeys.. sigh

Not really....there are so many people nowadays that have or had shortcomings either physical, mental or just social that seem they need to "deflect" attention in another direction. Mostly on someone they don't really even know and may be getting the good kind of attention due to all they are capable of. Jealousy is a big factor in a good number of cases.

6 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Not really....there are so many people nowadays that have or had shortcomings either physical, mental or just social that seem they need to "deflect" attention in another direction. Mostly on someone they don't really even know and may be getting the good kind of attention due to all they are capable of. Jealousy is a big factor in a good number of cases.

Some people just openly admit they are jealous. I find that to be a character flaw. But that's just my opinion 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

We shouldn't try and generalize this down to a case of criticizing an athlete.  In this specific case, a teenager is being mocked for something very common among teens.  Sure, people are free to say whatever they want and most of the time this stuff borders on pathetic, something completely unrelated to the that player's profession.  The age factor here just adds an additional layer of sleaze to the whole thing.

Mock? Sleaze? I just think some of you are taking this too far. No one's bullying little kids about their physical appearance here. The original comment about Dahlin needing to see the team dermatologist is on the mild side and could be defended as an objective statement or even an expression of concern. There's an old expression I can't quite nail down, but it's something along the lines of "if you see something everywhere you see it nowhere." Is there no room for good-natured joking? I guess I'd have to hear from a poster with skin problems who was hurt by the comment(s) to believe that it's really a thing.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Mock? Sleaze? I just think some of you are taking this too far. No one's bullying little kids about their physical appearance here. The original comment about Dahlin needing to see the team dermatologist is on the mild side and could be defended as an objective statement or even an expression of concern. There's an old expression I can't quite nail down, but it's something along the lines of "if you see something everywhere you see it nowhere." Is there no room for good-natured joking? I guess I'd have to hear from a poster with skin problems who was hurt by the comment(s) to believe that it's really a thing.

What exactly does any of it add to the experience of watching hockey?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

What exactly does any of it add to the experience of watching hockey?

Nothing. But we're obsessed with these guys. All aspects. Bob Boughner's big nose made it into the Billy Joel song parody I did. Rick used to call Donald Audette The French Gorilla because he was so hairy. Uh, "sausage"? I don't believe the OP's comment was meant to mock or demean. A lot of overthinking going on here. Did you notice Dahlin's skin? Is it worse to have a thought or articulate it?

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Nothing. But we're obsessed with these guys. All aspects. Bob Boughner's big nose made it into the Billy Joel song parody I did. Rick used to call Donald Audette The French Gorilla because he was so hairy. Uh, "sausage"? I don't believe the OP's comment was meant to mock or demean. A lot of overthinking going on here. Did you notice Dahlin's skin? Is it worse to have a thought or articulate it?

As has been pointed out earlier in the thread, it's not just the OP's comment.  This has been stated over and over for a few years now, going back to at least Eichel.  There's a line and, at least to me, it has been crossed.  The sausage stuff did as well.  I'm not usually going to be one to point this stuff out, but since it already came up here, I will say that I agree.

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The issue at hand is so obvious was there really a need to ask this question? It's a mockery of both Dahlin and the rest of the posters here (do you think we are all blind also?).

Oh, FFS.

Here are the OPs on this:

On 10/8/2018 at 5:06 PM, Iron Crotch said:

Dahlin needs to pay a visit to the team Dermatologist

On 10/8/2018 at 5:14 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

There's a sponsorship opportunity for Clearasil with Dahlin.

Are these posts cruel or awful or inhuman?  No.

Are they clever or witty or really anything other than "ha ha, he's got bad acne?"  No.

Should grown men be making lame jokes about an 18-year-old's acne?  No.

If Dahlin -- or any other 18-year-old -- saw grown men making fun of his acne, would his feelings be hurt?  Yes.

Does being a sports fan make it OK to make fun of an 18-year-old's acne?  No.

Will Dahlin be OK down the road and get over both his acne and the jokes about it?  Probably.

Does that make it OK?  No.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Oh, FFS.

Here are the OPs on this:

Are these posts cruel or awful or inhuman?  No.

Are they clever or witty or really anything other than "ha ha, he's got bad acne?"  No.

Should grown men be making lame jokes about an 18-year-old's acne?  No.

If Dahlin -- or any other 18-year-old -- saw grown men making fun of his acne, would his feelings be hurt?  Yes.

Does being a sports fan make it OK to make fun of an 18-year-old's acne?  No.

Will Dahlin be OK down the road and get over both his acne and the jokes about it?  Probably.

Does that make it OK?  No.

I would add that the OP made the same comment in two GDTs. The first one was ignored by everyone. The one quoted here was the second attempt to strike up the acne talk. 

32 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Are you sure this is the original post? The first line sounds more like a response to another post.

OP posted this in season opener. It was rightfully ignored. OP doubled down and posted same exact thing in this topic. I think the double posting is important here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I'll also point out that I think IC is and for a long time has been a very good poster.  I just think this attempted witticism missed the mark and should be retired.

Thank you for pointing this out. Agreed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.