GDT LV Golden Knights vs Sabres at KB Center 3pm on MSG & NHL Network and WGR550am

jsb

1 hour ago, Iron Crotch said:

It's a valid observation - not a joke. Why do you assume I'm not quite familiar with cystic acne and hence the need for help? I had the EXACT SAME THING at age 16-17 due to a hormonal imbalance and due to working at Burger King on Sheridan Drive (grease from the fryers is a killer to the skin of hormonal teenagers). I was prescribed a drug to address the hormonal issues (can't remember which one) and Retin-A as a topical. The drugs are what does the trick as I recall... but it is a valid observation that help is necessary. I know this from experience. I understand the "pack" mentality of message boards, but the original comment was just a comment that people took offense to. I get it. My apologies. But, spare me the lecture as you have no idea what I do and don't know about this particular issue.

Well, rather than expound upon your comment, you decided to just simply talk about his face rather than his hockey ability on a forum dedicated to hockey discussion. This was the second time you had made the comment. Given this, on top of others saying similar things about Dahlin and Eichel, it comes across as more immature picking on people rather than from a place of empathy and understanding for what people go through with it. Your initial commentary then gets piled on by others who look at that opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

Clearly you have an understanding of it. That's excellent. The lecture comes from the additional pile on comments and the repeated nature of the acne attacks that have persisted on the board going back to last year.

My apologies for the lecture.

• Like (+1) 1

I know acne is an issue, I had it and took some meds for it when I was a teenager plus oxywash with hydrocortisone.  PS Oxywash is great on poison Ivy.  But common guys many of went thru it and yeh we made fun of each other. So Jack and Rasmus are fair game.  Had a couple Ranger fans busting my chops about those two today at sticks and pucks.  It sucks and ps I still get zits when I eat too much chocolat.  PS I am 54. 

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Well, rather than expound upon your comment, you decided to just simply talk about his face rather than his hockey ability on a forum dedicated to hockey discussion. This was the second time you had made the comment. Given this, on top of others saying similar things about Dahlin and Eichel, it comes across as more immature picking on people rather than from a place of empathy and understanding for what people go through with it. Your initial commentary then gets piled on by others who look at that opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

Clearly you have an understanding of it. That's excellent. The lecture comes from the additional pile on comments and the repeated nature of the acne attacks that have persisted on the board going back to last year.

My apologies for the lecture.

This should extend to any and all potentially embarrassing physical characteristics, right? We can't say Marchand has a big nose or Chara is ugly or Kessel is fat (or the other Kessel thing) or Getzlaf is bald. Doesn't that seem like an extreme and unnecessary prohibition on a sports message board? The idea that players need to be protected from comments they will never read or that posters with various afflictions could be hurt by some jokes/observations seems a bit over the top. See also: Miller's googly eyes.

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Just zits, gotcha. 

You catch on quick.

If we're looking for more guidance, maybe think along the lines of differentiating between medical conditions or similar infirmities, on the one hand, and more generalized, normal physical features, on the other.

It's more art than science, though. I mean, I still laugh at this scene.

Edited by That Aud Smell

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Just zits, gotcha. Are we allowed to mention the former Russian defenseman for the Sabres who was responsible for more facial disfiguration than Freddy Krueger?

"Be better" doesn't just apply to a hockey organization.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

This should extend to any and all potentially embarrassing physical characteristics, right? We can't say Marchand has a big nose or Chara is ugly or Kessel is fat (or the other Kessel thing) or Getzlaf is bald. Doesn't that seem like an extreme and unnecessary prohibition on a sports message board? The idea that players need to be protected from comments they will never read or that posters with various afflictions could be hurt by some jokes/observations seems a bit over the top. See also: Miller's googly eyes.

I addressed your question in my original statement.  Re-read it. 

However, I guess I also feel the need to expand up on it a bit and address some of your comment directly.

"The idea that players need to be protected from comments they will never read." - Well, your head in the sand viewpoint there apparently dismisses all of those late night videos I've seen with players reading "mean tweets". So, never is a bit extreme. The reality is that you believe there is a low probability they will be seen and therefore it's okay to make those kinds of comments.

The second thing I want to say boils down simply and tacks onto the first.  Everyone has the right to be who they want to be. If you want to be that kind of person, go for it. Just as some feel the need to champion the "Be a ----head" movement, I will be sure to champion the "Be a better person" movement. Perhaps it's lost on deaf ears, but I won't be blamed for a lack of trying.

I'm no boy scout either. I've spent more of my years probably being a negative ----head than not.  But I'm tired of the negativity and the insults all because of some perception that people won't see it and won't be directly impacted.  You can choose to not like my cause as much as I can choose to not like yours.

44 minutes ago, LTS said:

However, I guess I also feel the need to expand up on it a bit and address some of your comment directly.

"The idea that players need to be protected from comments they will never read." - Well, your head in the sand viewpoint there apparently dismisses all of those late night videos I've seen with players reading "mean tweets". So, never is a bit extreme. The reality is that you believe there is a low probability they will be seen and therefore it's okay to make those kinds of comments.

The second thing I want to say boils down simply and tacks onto the first.  Everyone has the right to be who they want to be. If you want to be that kind of person, go for it. Just as some feel the need to champion the "Be a ----head" movement, I will be sure to champion the "Be a better person" movement. Perhaps it's lost on deaf ears, but I won't be blamed for a lack of trying.

I'm no boy scout either. I've spent more of my years probably being a negative ----head than not.  But I'm tired of the negativity and the insults all because of some perception that people won't see it and won't be directly impacted.  You can choose to not like my cause as much as I can choose to not like yours.

I know for a fact that certain people read Sabrespace.

44 minutes ago, LTS said:

I don't think I've been much of an acne-offender. I think I've mentioned it re: Jack and IIRC it was to point out it had gotten better (then maybe gotten bad again). It's hardly my "cause" to offend professional athletes based on appearance. But the idea that athletes can't occasionally be razzed is ludicrous. Hockey has a long and rich tradition of chirping. Where Dahlin is going to hear it is before faceoffs, not in The Aud Club.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

You catch on quick.

If we're looking for more guidance, maybe think along the lines of differentiating between medical conditions or similar infirmities, on the one hand, and more generalized, normal physical features, on the other.

It's more art than science, though. I mean, I still laugh at this scene.

Baldness is a medical condition, so that's off-limits as well. And obesity. Does Phil have some hormonal condition? Perhaps as a result of his cancer/cancer treatment?

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Now those are some stats I wouldn't mind seeing

corsi.thumb.JPG.e5db1f823f70b2b8e76a79a391f195f1.JPG

First, here are our 8-most-used lines and their (score adjusted? edit - not score-adjusted) corsi percentages. Note that the lines we've stuck with more than double the time of any other have performed quite well. 

xgf.thumb.JPG.8095e8172503dad03b33f365a8862aac.JPG

Then here are the expected goal numbers I referred to. 57% for Jack's line, 60 for Erod, and 84(!) for the Skinner show. Of course, that's purely because Jeff has had about thirty shots from in tight already. 

And as always...the sample sizes are so small that when you go to corsica's "line combos" nothing shows at first because the miniscule default "minimum TOI" slider, which sits at 50 minutes, has not been met yet by a single group of NHL players, so of course, take that into appropriate account (read - this team is not going to score 60%+ of the goals in its games this year)

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

corsi.thumb.JPG.e5db1f823f70b2b8e76a79a391f195f1.JPG

First, here are our 8-most-used lines and their (score adjusted? edit - not score-adjusted) corsi percentages. Note that the lines we've stuck with more than double the time of any other have performed quite well. 

xgf.thumb.JPG.8095e8172503dad03b33f365a8862aac.JPG

Then here are the expected goal numbers I referred to. 57% for Jack's line, 60 for Erod, and 84(!) for the Skinner show. Of course, that's purely because Jeff has had about thirty shots from in tight already. 

And as always...the sample sizes are so small that when you go to corsica's "line combos" nothing shows at first because the miniscule default "minimum TOI" slider, which sits at 50 minutes, has not been met yet by a single group of NHL players, so of course, take that into appropriate account (read - this team is not going to score 60%+ of the goals in its games this year)

Stats proof that Dahlin is a bust. I want 60% of goals and a 100 point season. 

Oh and trade Hutton for letting in that goal off McCabe's boot. 

In the meantime, this weekend was a good one for buffalo fans. 

Hope this translates into road play. 

4 minutes ago, Samson's Slickback said:

Stats proof that Dahlin is a bust. I want 60% of goals and a 100 point season. 

Oh and trade Hutton for letting in that goal off McCabe's boot. 

In the meantime, this weekend was a good one for buffalo fans. 

Hope this translates into road play. 

Too lazy to look (which is a bad look for me after making the trek for those stats above) but haven't we been better on the road than at home recently?

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't think I've been much of an acne-offender. I think I've mentioned it re: Jack and IIRC it was to point out it had gotten better (then maybe gotten bad again). It's hardly my "cause" to offend professional athletes based on appearance. But the idea that athletes can't occasionally be razzed is ludicrous. Hockey has a long and rich tradition of chirping. Where Dahlin is going to hear it is before faceoffs, not in The Aud Club.

I'm aware that you were not an active participant in this round. I recall the statements you've made regarding it. In my post I tried to be careful to not use the word "you" when specifically addressing the acne portion of the personal insults.

As for being fat, there are instances where that is a genetic trait, but more often than not it's just really bad life choices. I still wouldn't go around using that as an insult for people.

Being bald, a genetic trait, and something I would not use to insult people but bald people can point to the studies that show positives of being bald - https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-mating-game/201612/do-women-find-bald-men-be-more-attractive

You won't find such an article regarding those with acne.  If you do we should probably publicize it more.

The bottom line is simple, there's really no need to go around insulting people. There's plenty to critique about Dahlin (and others) without having to resort to insults.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

The bottom line is simple, there's really no need to go around insulting people. There's plenty to critique about Dahlin (and others) without having to resort to insults.

We shouldn't try and generalize this down to a case of criticizing an athlete.  In this specific case, a teenager is being mocked for something very common among teens.  Sure, people are free to say whatever they want and most of the time this stuff borders on pathetic, something completely unrelated to the that player's profession.  The age factor here just adds an additional layer of sleaze to the whole thing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.