Seeking Solutions to Seeing Sabres Games

Andrew Amerk

On 9/8/2018 at 1:58 AM, Briere48 said:

I don't use this but i've heard that DTV Now only gives you MSG but not the regional MSG, so you'll get the MSG with all NYC content on it. It's what i heard from a friend who did this. Apparently most of the online streaming services who offer MSG only offer the NYC version and not the regional, except for Fubo tv.

Interesting i guess i thought msg would include the sabres stuff. I think they offer a free trial so its something that could be tested before you commit.

If they now have the local Roc stations i may have to try them out once hockey starts.

• 2 weeks later...

A site online claimed I could get all the Sabres games live on SlingTV. 

Signed up for a free week, and this appeared to be false. Didn’t see any options for MSG, and all I could find was a game replay on NHL Network at 1:30am. 

Looking into DirecTV Now, it looks like they only carry MSG with coverage of the NYC teams, and no Sabres...

On 9/9/2018 at 7:48 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

I have no idea what “chromecast” is. I could tell you about Kodachrome. 

ChromeCast is a Google device that lets you "cast" (display) some phone apps and all Chrome browser content on a TV. It plugs into an HDMI port on the TV and connects to your Wifi. It does work with NHL.tv and Andoird phones. I believe it works with Apple phones as well, but it's kinda weird because Apple wants you to buy and Apple TV instead.

BTW, there are times when the screen mirroring doesn't work. One notable scenario is the NFL App on my phone won't allow the screen cast to my Chromecast to watch the game.

Edited by MattPie

On 9/6/2018 at 9:51 AM, Andrew Amerk said:

Prior to the start of the Sabres season last year, I ditched DirecTV. I had realized that I never watched anything on it, other than Sabres games and NHL Network. I bought a Roku and ordered Netflix, and was content enough with that. Stupid me also purchased the NHL package on the Roku, not realizing Sabres games would be blacked out because I am in Rochester. First game of the season rolls around, and I was suddenly scrambling!

I then got an unlocked Firestick. Finding the games was more miss than hit. I’m not the most tech-savvy person, so I’m not sure if this was human error, or just how it is via that medium. For most of the season, I was relegated to staring at streams on my cell phone (I don’t own a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer).

So, I am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or other options for seeing Sabres games on my television? I’m happy to pay for the content, just not all that interested in paying DirecTV prices when I barely use their services outside of hockey games. If that’s what it comes down to, I’ll do what I have to. 

Thanks! 

Get Durex IPTV...you'll be able to watch anything you want. Literally. $13 a month.

21 hours ago, LTS said:

Literally illegal as well.

The cable/dish companies did it to themselves by gouging consumers and charging ridiculous rates that constantly go up. When a cable bills gets to be almost as much as a car payment every month, there is a problem there.

They are getting what they deserve now...huge losses in their customer base. 

As for illegal, well get a VPN.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

The cable/dish companies did it to themselves by gouging consumers and charging ridiculous rates that constantly go up. When a cable bills gets to be almost as much as a car payment every month, there is a problem there.

They are getting what they deserve now...huge losses in their customer base. 

As for illegal, well get a VPN.

This is such a garbage argument.  The essence of it boils down to, I don't like what they charge, so I will steal it.  It's the same as walking into the store and taking whatever you'd like because you don't want to pay for it. It's stealing, it's illegal.  Do you know why rates go up?  People like to blame the "actors" or the "executives" who wanted more money, and to a certain degree that's true.  However, there are thousands of employees who also need to make more money each year to keep pace with the rising costs of food, gas, etc. Where does that money come from?  Thin air? 

Let's take the an estimate of Comcast's employee base from 2017 - 164,000.  Let's assume that 20% of the employment base are upper level executives (I am going WAY over on this to prove a point).  So, each year there are roughly 131,000 employees who are working and expecting a "cost of living" increase.  Let's say the average salary of the employee is $48k (balancing out customer support to sales, etc.).  If Comcast wants to hand out that 2.5% COL increase it needs $1200 per employee or $157M.  Let's also add in that the cost of healthcare goes up by .5% per employee and the company doesn't want to pass that along to its employees... it averages $10,000 contribution per year per employee, that's an increase of $50 per employee that totals $8.2M increase.

Of course, that doesn't include the cost of programming increases from CBS, NBC, etc. who also are offering their employees COL increases, etc.

I guess the option is that all the employees for these companies should not see increases, raises, etc.  Would you accept that in your position?  I've had to accept it for 3 years now.  The cost of everything keeps rising but I'm not making more money.  The same would be true of the people who work for Comcast.  Of course, Wegmans is going to increase their employee wages as are the suppliers who sell food to Wegmans, so that's going to go up.  So, food costs rise, I make the same amount and now the price of a steak is $12.99/lb but it's ratio to my revenue has increased because I still make the same amount.

For the record, my cable bill, which includes Internet and allows me to see Sabres games is $80/month.  When your cable bill costs you as much as a car payment, you probably have every channel.  Perhaps you don't need every channel, but, if you are going to have every channel then you should keep in mind that your expense supports the employees of all the companies involved in delivering that product to your TV.

Beyond the simple economics of this, let me also address the risks of using these "side load" apps.

I've explained this in numerous other "streaming" threads by the way.  It's not just that the streaming is illegal (it's basically pirate bay for live streams) but it's that you end up having to load an application onto a device that sits on your network.  In bypassing the "controls" and side loading apps you are removing the normal constraints applications have in how they are allowed to run inside the device.  As such, you are inviting any unscrupulous application creator into your private network to sniff around and do whatever they would like. 

Here's what you need to ask yourself.  Are you willing to bet that an application developer from China or Russia isn't going to embed some kind of command and control node capabilities into the application that is designed to serve up streams that are being broadcast illegally?  Are you willing to then load that application onto a network connected device inside your home and trust that it's NOT going to be used for illegal purposes?

As for the VPN, as I have also indicated, the popular VPNs have exit points that are well known.  They could be shut down by any streaming service in a moments notice.  The less popular ones run the same risk as side loading apps.  You are now putting your network traffic into the hands of some "entity" that is promising to hide your Internet presence.  However, the traffic you send is now going through their network.  They can copy every packet of data you send. They know every location you visit on the Internet.  If your connection to the end service is encrypted, you may be protected from them seeing the actual data, but they know where you visited.  Do you know who runs these VPNs?  Do you know what their VPN clients do on your machine?

I picked one at random.. "CyberGhost"  - Founded in 2011 in Bucharest, Romania, CyberGhost is the creator of one of the world's most reliable privacy and security solutions in the world.

Awesome... you just need to trust that some company in Bucharest, Romania has your best interests in mind.  I'm not saying they do or don't and they are just one example.

The point being, it's not always that easy to say "just get a VPN".  If some guy hands you a USB drive on the street and says plug it into your computer to get free TV would you do it?  If he had a storefront and sold you the same USB drive, would you trust him more?  Why?  Because he paid to make things pretty?

Edited by LTS
minor clarification on VPN nodes

On 9/24/2018 at 10:56 AM, MattPie said:

ChromeCast is a Google device that lets you "cast" (display) some phone apps and all Chrome browser content on a TV. It plugs into an HDMI port on the TV and connects to your Wifi. It does work with NHL.tv and Andoird phones. I believe it works with Apple phones as well, but it's kinda weird because Apple wants you to buy and Apple TV instead.

BTW, there are times when the screen mirroring doesn't work. One notable scenario is the NFL App on my phone won't allow the screen cast to my Chromecast to watch the game.

I’d be using an iPhone with it. Streams on places like Reddit have had a tendency to be inconsistent, at least for me. I also assume this is “illegal.”

Im happy to pay for the games, just don’t want a ridiculous satellite package that I won’t use. There has to be SOMETHING out there. It’s almost 2019. 

Wish I could just pay for the NHL package and be done with it. 

15 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’d be using an iPhone with it. Streams on places like Reddit have had a tendency to be inconsistent, at least for me. I also assume this is “illegal.”

Im happy to pay for the games, just don’t want a ridiculous satellite package that I won’t use. There has to be SOMETHING out there. It’s almost 2019. 

Wish I could just pay for the NHL package and be done with it. 

This article is a bit dated at this point but might help: https://www.macworld.com/article/3052325/home-tech/is-the-35-chromecast-a-viable-apple-tv-alternative-for-iphone-users.html

Yes, the streams on reddit are technically illegal.  Any rebroadcast without the express written consent and all that jazz...

Perhaps switch to Spectrum?  As I said, I get the base Internet package of 10/100 and the standard tier of cable which includes NBCSN and MSG for $78 per month.

I understand that if you have a $30/month Frontier package and only want to add a $10/month service to watch the Sabres you'd save money.  The NHL sucks with their blackout policy on their app.  It actually encourages people to move further away from their "home" team which reduces the chance of them actually going to a game.

I've never understood the business logic behind it.  NHL.tv is going to use the MSG broadcast and so they can count those viewers as viewers for the purposes of advertising rates. There's no reason that I've been able to find that dictates this policy other than old school hard headed thinking.

Unfortunately, that's what we have.

I have Directv and used to spring for center ice in the past when the Sabres were competitive, but this season(as long as Buffalo doesn't sh*t the bed early on), I plan to get NHL.tv to watch hockey through Roku this season.

Center Ice from Directv basically costs $160 (4 payments of $39.99)

NHL.tv only costs $140 for all games but they also have the option to pay for just a single team for $110, plus they offer discounts for students and active duty military/veterans and their families. I verified my eligibility with Troop ID by using my USAA insurance eligibility for a 35% discount (I'm not sure what the student discount is) so you can get $49 off the $140 package or $38.50 off the $110 single team option. That brings the total to $71.49 (single team with military discount) unless they tack extra taxes and fees onto that.

I haven't bought it yet since Directv offers a free 2 week previews of Center Ice so I intend to wait to see how the Sabres looks before I fork over an extra dime.

Edited by Alkoholist

2 hours ago, Alkoholist said:

I have Directv and used to spring for center ice in the past when the Sabres were competitive, but this season(as long as Buffalo doesn't sh*t the bed early on), I plan to get NHL.tv to watch hockey through Roku this season.

Center Ice from Directv basically costs $160 (4 payments of $39.99)

NHL.tv only costs $140 for all games but they also have the option to pay for just a single team for $110, plus they offer discounts for students and active duty military/veterans and their families. I verified my eligibility with Troop ID by using my USAA insurance eligibility for a 35% discount (I'm not sure what the student discount is) so you can get $49 off the $140 package or $38.50 off the $110 single team option. That brings the total to $71.49 (single team with military discount) unless they tack extra taxes and fees onto that.

I haven't bought it yet since Directv offers a free 2 week previews of Center Ice so I intend to wait to see how the Sabres looks before I fork over an extra dime.

Let me guess.. you are not in Buffalo or Rochester.  This works for you.  For those in the market, those games are blacked out for 48 hours.

Truthfully, the most legal and slightly dishonest thing you could do would be to sign up for NHL.tv and then use a VPN to obfuscate your IP address so it appears you are out of market.  The risk is that the streaming service blocks that VPN.  At least you are watching a legal stream, you just happen to be avoiding the Terms of Service with the company.  It's grounds for termination but not really anything criminal.

You could even use a well known VPN service so as to lessen the risk that thing are not above the law.  There are reputable ones out there.  You might even be able to use the Tor Browser.  In the end you still have to jump through hoops... 

i have the NHL tv package online it works well. however, if you are in the blackout restrictions area, it will be blacked out. i live in central NJ, so the sabres vs the devils,rangers,flyers get blacked out for me.

we dont have regular cable since we use the playstation vue for tv, so i just miss those games essentially. you can watch them 48 hours after blackout period, but i never went back. i cant watch a game when i know the outcome. 

Edited by rekim

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Let me guess.. you are not in Buffalo or Rochester.  This works for you.  For those in the market, those games are blacked out for 48 hours.

Truthfully, the most legal and slightly dishonest thing you could do would be to sign up for NHL.tv and then use a VPN to obfuscate your IP address so it appears you are out of market.  The risk is that the streaming service blocks that VPN.  At least you are watching a legal stream, you just happen to be avoiding the Terms of Service with the company.  It's grounds for termination but not really anything criminal.

You could even use a well known VPN service so as to lessen the risk that thing are not above the law.  There are reputable ones out there.  You might even be able to use the Tor Browser.  In the end you still have to jump through hoops... 

Yeah, I live in eastern NC so I don't have to worry about blackouts, except for Canes games. When they play the Canes I'm stuck watching the enemy feed on Fox Sports NASCAR lovers or whatever they call it.

Edited by Alkoholist

11 hours ago, LTS said:

This article is a bit dated at this point but might help: https://www.macworld.com/article/3052325/home-tech/is-the-35-chromecast-a-viable-apple-tv-alternative-for-iphone-users.html

Yes, the streams on reddit are technically illegal.  Any rebroadcast without the express written consent and all that jazz...

Perhaps switch to Spectrum?  As I said, I get the base Internet package of 10/100 and the standard tier of cable which includes NBCSN and MSG for $78 per month.

I understand that if you have a $30/month Frontier package and only want to add a $10/month service to watch the Sabres you'd save money.  The NHL sucks with their blackout policy on their app.  It actually encourages people to move further away from their "home" team which reduces the chance of them actually going to a game.

I've never understood the business logic behind it.  NHL.tv is going to use the MSG broadcast and so they can count those viewers as viewers for the purposes of advertising rates. There's no reason that I've been able to find that dictates this policy other than old school hard headed thinking.

Unfortunately, that's what we have.

Hmmm. Might have to do this. I pay I think $30-$40 for Frontier now. Adding another $30-$40 to see Sabres seems about right. 

Id hate to go back to Time-Warner (aka Spectrum) again. Had their services years ago, and it was beyond atrocious. As expensive as they were, I had DTV for years and no issues, other than billing problems. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Hmmm. Might have to do this. I pay I think $30-$40 for Frontier now. Adding another $30-$40 to see Sabres seems about right. 

Id hate to go back to Time-Warner (aka Spectrum) again. Had their services years ago, and it was beyond atrocious. As expensive as they were, I had DTV for years and no issues, other than billing problems. 

I'm lucky I suppose.  I don't have many problems at all with Spectrum.  See what package they'll give you.  If nothing else it might solve the problem for this year while we all hope the powers that be get smarter before next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.