Seeking Solutions to Seeing Sabres Games

Andrew Amerk

On 9/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, respk said:

They added MSG last year a month or so into the hockey season. I couldn't get the Buffalo version of it through their app, but I could login to MSGGO and watch Sabres games that way. That may have changed now as I don't watch MSG except during hockey season. They added the Rochester local channels last week. It runs on some of the Roku devices, but their latest version no longer works on my Roku 3.  Their app works well on a firestick or fireTV.  I've used the DVR some and haven't had any issues with it. The app has gotten much better since they rolled out version 2 of it and the periodic updates also seem to improve it now. 

What I've noticed is that, in general, a lot of the steaming versions of content providers such as Spectrum and DirecTV Now exclude some of the sports channels.  If you go to the sports carrier's website (like MSG GO), you log in with your content provider's (Spectrum, DirecTV, whatever) credentials and it allows you to view the MSG GO either online or through an app.  I noticed this when I switched from DirecTV to Spectrum when I moved:  I only got one cable box, and bought Roku sticks for the other TVs.  If I want to watch the Texas Rangers I have to do it through the Fox Sports GO app on Roku.  If I want to watch Monday Night Football, I have to watch it through the Roku ESPN app. 

I think the sports providers have as part of their agreements with the cable/dish carriers a clause that says you can carry our channel, but not for live sports events.  The subscriber has to use the content provider's app instead, which gives them two advantages:  The content provider can put other commercials on (Fox Sports GO showed the same dozen commercials all season long for the Texas Rangers, including one for a comic con that happened in May), and it brings you to their dashboard so that you can see other sporting events that you might want to purchase at a premium to the service you've already got (for instance, they would show Oakland A's games, but I would have had to pay extra to see them).

This doesn't bother me most of the time.   The Spectrum Guide and Search functions on Roku are kind of clunky, so I like going to the sports apps which have a streamlined dashboard instead.  I can navigate to the game more quickly than trying to search through the bazillion channels on Spectrum.  The downside is if I'm trying to watch two events, one on ESPN and one on Fox Sports GO, I have to switch apps which takes a lot longer than switching channels.

Come March (when my one-year special offer expires) I need to decide if I'm going to keep anything through Spectrum, or go with different internet and/or TV providers.

Is MSG able to be picked up using one of those digital HD Antennas?

Recently I thought about something like that if it would work for those of us that are on the other side of the bridge and blocked from getting the closest hockey team geographically to us but instead are forced to have to watch the nauseating gloating of fans planning their cup parade which they haven't had a chance to see since color TV and photographs came into existence......

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Is MSG able to be picked up using one of those digital HD Antennas?

Recently I thought about something like that if it would work for those of us that are on the other side of the bridge and blocked from getting the closest hockey team geographically to us but instead are forced to have to watch the nauseating gloating of fans planning their cup parade which they haven't had a chance to see since color TV and photographs came into existence......

MSG is not available using one of those.  It's purely a cable/satellite/streaming option.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.