Jalen Ramsey thinks he could play in the NHL with 6 months training

PromoTheRobot

On 9/8/2018 at 1:05 AM, erickompositör72 said:

The first part of what Sabel said, I would refine it in this way: people may unwittingly use coded language, with no intention of racism, but their use of said language should still be pointed out, and the problematic nature of such language should be clarified to them.

Unfortunately, many people get offended when it is pointed out that they unwittingly used language that can be problematic.

People may use such language because it is just culturally ingrained, without giving any thought to implications. It doesn't mean they're a bad person for not realizing such language is problematic, but it is harmful when they refuse to see why changing their use of it might be warranted.

To the second part of what he said- I think it's a genuine position to have.

I really appreciate the effort here - you’re articulating things I might have known or understood at one point, but couldn’t or didn’t call to mind.

Language is enormously powerful. It controls, dictates, influences, and prescribes a great, great deal.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2018 at 1:05 AM, erickompositör72 said:

The first part of what Sabel said, I would refine it in this way: people may unwittingly use coded language, with no intention of racism, but their use of said language should still be pointed out, and the problematic nature of such language should be clarified to them.

Unfortunately, many people get offended when it is pointed out that they unwittingly used language that can be problematic.

People may use such language because it is just culturally ingrained, without giving any thought to implications. It doesn't mean they're a bad person for not realizing such language is problematic, but it is harmful when they refuse to see why changing their use of it might be warranted.

To the second part of what he said- I think it's a genuine position to have.

Nice post.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

It's a shame people are blowing off what's being said here. I happen to have people in my life that I love dearly that have to put up with this sh#@ every day, and it's not always so funny for them.

Eichel said someone was ignorant of something, he didn't call say what Ramsey said was 'gay' as in 'that's so gay', or anything like that. He didn't call something thuggish, or use any other word with overtones that could be construed as such. So yeah, I'm going to make light of an attempt to make Eichel's comments seem anything other than what they are, a normal attempt at defending his career and passion.

2018 the beginning of the end 

What happened to this world, we've all become so fragile that pretty soon we won't even be able to hold a conversation (not us in here) 

If someone wants to talk smack that he has no business doing, then any retort is basically justified. And in this case, it's harmless and being blown out of proportion in an epic manner. 

I need to go back to the 3rd world, PC isn't a thing there, there are actual real issues to deal with. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Eichel said someone was ignorant of something, he didn't call say what Ramsey said was 'gay' as in 'that's so gay', or anything like that. He didn't call something thuggish, or use any other word with overtones that could be construed as such. So yeah, I'm going to make light of an attempt to make Eichel's comments seem anything other than what they are, a normal attempt at defending his career and passion.

There was a point where the discussion was not directly referring to Eichel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.