Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

Yeah.. and Trump was back in a few minutes posting as POTUS on Twitter.  Won't amount to much. 

Just to clarify on this.  Trump did try to Tweet from POTUS and TeamTrump accounts, but Twitter deleted the tweets and temp suspended the latter account.

Tweeting from a different account to get around suspension is not allowed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

He can't acknowledge that any more than a GM can acknowledge he's about to fire a coach. Sure one is the international stage of politics and effects the leadership of our country but fundamentally its the same thing. If you are trying to win at something you can't come out and says "It's really just a joke and I don't expect to win."

Sure.  trump can't.  I was referring to all of the Trumpians in government who knew the claims of fraud were bull ***** and still cried "the sky is falling".

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Sure.  trump can't.  I was referring to all of the Trumpians in government who knew the claims of fraud were bull ***** and still cried "the sky is falling".

I am not a lawyer. But isn't it illegal to file lawsuits on something that you know to be untrue?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I am not a lawyer. But isn't it illegal to file lawsuits on something that you know to be untrue?

I seem to recall that the last complaint to be heard resulted in the judge threatening sanction.

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Just to clarify on this.  Trump did try to Tweet from POTUS and TeamTrump accounts, but Twitter deleted the tweets and temp suspended the latter account.

Tweeting from a different account to get around suspension is not allowed.

Right.. but until the tweets are deleted they are out there.. and when people take screenshots they remain out there.  No big deal, there are plenty of blowhard twitter accounts out there.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Well, they aren't going to admit defeat either. I can only imagine the behind the scenes benefits those people get for staying on board.

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

They didn't know them to be untrue in this case. They don't know there was no fraud. If they knew there was no fraud that would mean they had access to things they should not have had access to.  However, the chances of there being any truth to it was slim.

41 minutes ago, Weave said:

I seem to recall that the last complaint to be heard resulted in the judge threatening sanction.

Yep.  As it should have been.

12 minutes ago, LTS said:

They didn't know them to be untrue in this case. They don't know there was no fraud. If they knew there was no fraud that would mean they had access to things they should not have had access to.  However, the chances of there being any truth to it was slim.

so you are arguing that it was Trumps right to file lawsuits with no proof? To be clear the idea of election fraud started with Trump saying the only way he can lose is if they cheat and also arguing that mail in voting (something he does) is fraudulent.

So if I think that PepsiCo is not providing me the amount of caffeine as is on the label I can file a lawsuit with no proof simply because I think they are cheating?

23 minutes ago, LTS said:

Right.. but until the tweets are deleted they are out there.. and when people take screenshots they remain out there.  No big deal, there are plenty of blowhard twitter accounts out there.

I hope the bold does not happen.  Like Trump or hate Trump they are a record of not just his presidency but a period in our country’s history.  IMO we as Americans don’t need pieces of truth of what happened removed out of fear.

5 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I hope the bold does not happen.  Like Trump or hate Trump they are a record of not just his presidency but a period in our country’s history.  IMO we as Americans don’t need pieces of truth of what happened removed out of fear.

nothing is ever really gone once it has been posted on the internet

1 minute ago, drnkirishone said:

are we talking about the tweets he made trying to bypass the ban? If so they absolutely should be deleted and relegated to screen grabs. Otherwise the ban simply means he has to change account names

That’s a good question.  On one hand he is using Twitter and is subject to that company’s rules.  On the other hand they’re tweets from an elected official.  I see it your way and I see a case to not delete them.  To give my honest answer I would need to know how tweets as public record are documented.  

If the government logs tweets, posts and whatever else there is from officials into a record system then ok.  As long as the public has access.  

6 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

That’s a good question.  On one hand he is using Twitter and is subject to that company’s rules.  On the other hand they’re tweets from an elected official.  I see it your way and I see a case to not delete them.  To give my honest answer I would need to know how tweets as public record are documented.  

If the government logs tweets, posts and whatever else there is from officials into a record system then ok.  As long as the public has access.  

the really funny thing is if he got his way and got the social media protections removed they all would have been advised by legal to remove him from all platforms anyway.

13 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

so you are arguing that it was Trumps right to file lawsuits with no proof? To be clear the idea of election fraud started with Trump saying the only way he can lose is if they cheat and also arguing that mail in voting (something he does) is fraudulent.

So if I think that PepsiCo is not providing me the amount of caffeine as is on the label I can file a lawsuit with no proof simply because I think they are cheating?

Yes. You have the right to file a lawsuit.  It doesn't mean it will go anywhere.

13 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yeah but any effort to delete the tweets or not make them available would be wrong IMO.

Twitter owns its platform and has an Acceptable Use Policy.  Trump violated that policy and was subjected to the rules. But as was said, its not really gone. 

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Seditionists according to Axios moving to encrypted sites...

How hard?

Hack?  it could be difficult.  infiltrate? easy.

That said, this is the hard part about cutting off the open and easy access communication channels.  Sure, by removing things like parler and other items it reduces the influence on the general public, but I'm convinced people will find the new encrypted sites just as handily if they go looking for it.

Now it's just harder for the people who watch over them to gain access.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

That said, this is the hard part about cutting off the open and easy access communication channels.  Sure, by removing things like parler and other items it reduces the influence on the general public, but I'm convinced people will find the new encrypted sites just as handily if they go looking for it.

You think the rally last Wednesday would have been as large if they couldn't spread the lies and hate across social media for the last 5 years?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

You think the rally last Wednesday would have been as large if they couldn't spread the lies and hate across social media for the last 5 years?

And the smaller group of terrorists who used the larger group for cover could have been stopped. Always is a problem that an element with bad intentions takes advantage of a protest

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I agree infiltration is probably easier than site/capability degradation.  At least in terms of setting off bells and whistles.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you guys are talking about mitigation of propaganda to reduce recruitment and support?  If so who do people imagine would do this stuff?  

9 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Being able to operate openly certainly allows for a certain speed to be achieved especially when the movement is young and hasn't had to hide itself.  Now it does, but yes, over time I believe that the rally last Wednesday would have been just as large regardless of the platform they used to organize it.  The only difference would be the difficulty intelligence agencies might have in discovering that the rally would occur and preparing for it.

8 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I agree infiltration is probably easier than site/capability degradation.  At least in terms of setting off bells and whistles.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you guys are talking about mitigation of propaganda to reduce recruitment and support?  If so who do people imagine would do this stuff?  

Not sure I am following your question.  I'll take a stab.  Eventually those who want to find information will.  There are those whose interests are piqued enough by happenstance or simply because some algorithm thinks they might want to see some radical post that could pull them in.  The latter is the what you hope shutting down social media accounts really impacts.

But last summer I was getting Donald Trump ads on Youtube.  Disturbing Trump ads no less that were clearly propaganda.  That's the stuff you want to block because there is a decent contingency of people who will believe any well produced propaganda or at least will want to learn more and then might become a believer.

But, by forcing the organizational groups underground you do make the infiltration of those groups easier. 

Given the current capabilities of these groups I'm not too concerned but it is inevitable that someone with the right charisma and intelligence rises to the top and can lead a group like this to be quite disruptive.  You hope it doesn't happen... but history would indicate otherwise.