Eichel switching to #9 (OFFICIAL)

Hoss

Eichel changes to 9  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which number do you prefer for Eichel?

To give Jack the Captaincy is absurd.

He's not proven it when it really matters.

At Boston University, for example.

Didn't he score in that game after bringing a losing NCAA program to the championship game by himself as a high schooler?

If finishing a championship win is a requirement for captaincy, wouldn't there only be about 5 deserving captains in the league and 26 that should be stripped of their letter?

Didn't he score in that game after bringing a losing NCAA program to the championship game by himself as a high schooler?

If finishing a championship win is a requirement for captaincy, wouldn't there only be about 5 deserving captains in the league and 26 that should be stripped of their letter?

I don't think Jack is the guy we want for captain.

Who'd I pick?  That would be Ristolainen.

He won the World Juniors and scored the game winning goal.

And any time we play the Leafs, he's the clear leader, emotionally.  He's up to it.  I don't think Jack's got the same depth of leadership.

And any time we play the Leafs, he's the clear leader, emotionally.  He's up to it.  I don't think Jack's got the same depth of leadership.

I'm not sure who I'd pick to be captain at this point. 

Actually, I am. 

Marco Scandella would be the perfect bridge to Jack being more mature. 

I'm not sure who I'd pick to be captain at this point. 

Actually, I am. 

Marco Scandella would be the perfect bridge to Jack being more mature. 

Giving an immature kid undue power in the organization is a major problem to me.

I agree that Scandella would fit the role if he got the backing.

Problem is that Pegula and Eichel are besties, is it not?

I am just speculating, but I'd have liked for veteran NHL leadership to guide guys like Eichel.  Even Pominville could have been valuable in that role, but for all the veterans we brought in, it seems that none could reach Jack. 

The kid's just not that good, to be dictating everything we do as a franchise, in my opinion.

Edited by Utica Club

To give Jack the Captaincy is absurd.

He's not proven it when it really matters.

At Boston University, for example.

He needs tough love, imo.

Point by point:

. Matter of opinion, and I disagree.

. It hasn't really mattered for anyone connected with the Sabres for years.

. Meh

. Perhaps you're right, but as others have said, we live or die by the Eichel, might as well make it official.

Not only jersey owners but jersey makers left with standing inventory

I think players have to give a years notice?

Anyone know about that?

Give a years notice?  Wut.

Jack switched from 41 to 15 between his first training camp and the regular season.

Risto?  Seriously?

Acknowledge that he scored the winning goal at Juniors, but that's in the past.  I really don't think winning some past championship has anything to do with the captaincy. 

So against 1/30 of the opponents, he's the emotional leader?  That's no reason to give him the C.

I am just speculating, but I'd have liked for veteran NHL leadership to guide guys like Eichel.

We did that. His name was Gionta. That ship has sailed.

Jack's entering his fourth season. He's old enough, mature enough.  He just hasn't been ready long enough for you to come to grips with that.

Point by point:

. Meh

. Perhaps you're right, but as others have said, we live or die by the Eichel, might as well make it official.

Point by point,  I liked your old name better.

It's been three years of Jack with the Sabres, and he didn't win things then and he isn't winning things now, but the whole hype and ego train is alive and well with Eichel.

I'm not blaming him, I just think he's on par with Marner, and we've got a true number one pick in Dahlin, so why pretend that Eichel is so important.  He's going to fug off to the Bruins at the first opportunity, so why invest ourselves so much?

Let's build around Dahlin, and the Amerks.

The Sabres are going to suck this year, and you can blame Eichel.  Just trade him before it gets too ugly, is my advice.

I see training camp starting with Jack in #15 and wearing an A.  At the end of camp they introduce the new captains.  After introducing Reino and Dahlin as A's, they introduce Jack as the Captain in his new #9 jersey.  Like you said, it gives the team a fresh start and it amplifies the boost Dahlin provides the team.

Everything old is wiped clean, all old sins forgiven, all reputations (good and bad) erased.  The Sabres are now playing for the future, and they've got something to prove.

(I can almost picture the resulting Opening Night hype video.)

I love it.

That would make too much sense.   Won't happen.  Not a chance.

You stop that.

Why not give him the 99?

He's your savior after all.

Man, I scowl and shake my head disapprovingly at kids in U-12 soccer leagues who wear the 99. SHOW SOME RESPECT, KID.

That guy can't think his way out of a brown paper bag. No thanks.

It's Jack's team -- for good or for ill. I'm actually quite unsure about what the means for the franchise. But it's time to find out.

He's going to fug off to the Bruins at the first opportunity, so why invest ourselves so much?

The Sabres are going to suck this year, and you can blame Eichel.  Just trade him before it gets too ugly, is my advice.

We've got a live one in here now, guys.

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean.

You've been waiting, haven't you.

Now it's Y-U-R-I- all day every day, compadre.

tenor.gif

Point by point:

. Meh

Give a years notice? Wut.

Jack switched from 41 to 15 between his first training camp and the regular season.

Risto? Seriously?

Acknowledge that he scored the winning goal at Juniors, but that's in the past. I really don't think winning some past championship has anything to do with the captaincy.

So against 1/30 of the opponents, he's the emotional leader? That's no reason to give him the C.

We did that. His name was Gionta. That ship has sailed.

Jack's entering his fourth season. He's old enough, mature enough. He just hasn't been ready long enough for you to come to grips with that.

I dont think Jack has displayed the maturity to date, and I don’t want to give him the C with the expectation that it transforms him. I want to see the maturity first, and then consider him for the C, which means next season at the earliest.

That must have been when they sent Gare 18 to the rafters.

No.  He wore #18 in the 2000-01 season, but Gare's number was retired in 2005.  Tim Connolly wore 18 for two years after Miro, then nobody did for a while.  I believe that he wanted 18 (wore it in Edmonton), but Grosek wore it until 2000, so he went with 81.  Then, Miro switched to 18 for the 2000-01 season.  From what I've heard, he had a bad start to the season, so he switched back to 81.

I have a Satan 81 jersey i bought it on a trip to Buffalo that October and then he switched I was livid but now I treasure that jersey

I actually want a game-worn 18 Satan jersey, since that is the rare one (he wore 81 for at least 7 seasons around it.)  My Satan jersey is a white goat head "authentic" (the on ice version with the fight strap, etc) 81.  It was my first jersey ... thought it was cool to have jersey that said SATAN (i.e., the devil, not Miro) on the back.

Edited by carpandean

Giving the captaincy to anybody but Eichel is a stupid waste of time. Stop dicking around and give him the C.

I also still have no idea if this is legit, for the record. I just know Lou is connected but is also the type to want attention at all turns. Seems like a really strange rumor to bring up, though.

Giving the captaincy to anybody but Eichel is a stupid waste of time. Stop dicking around and give him the C.

I also still have no idea if this is legit, for the record. I just know Lou is connected but is also the type to want attention at all turns. Seems like a really strange rumor to bring up, though.

Don't give the captaincy to a punk, though.

Has Eichel demonstrated the type of leadership required to bring other top free agents out here.

No, rather he is driving them out?

I mean, look at Tavares for example.  Kadri, Marleau, and a bunch of solid defensemen were able to give a solid ptich to a free agent.  I cannot imagine Eichel doing that.

His bros from Boston University are played out, and we're really trying so hard to make them work, because it would make Eichel happy, but his bros from BU are keeping us in last place and giving him stupid influence on the makeup of the team.

Edited by Utica Club

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.