Scott Wilson Signed Two Years 1.05 AAV

Brawndo

14 of 23 comments are not on topic.  Come one people, let Wilson have his thread and start your anther if you want to bitch about the Leafs.

You quoted my post, which wasn't about the Leafs.    ;)

(In all seriousness, most threads around here go off topic - it's just sort of the way of the board; I've found that posting a strong opinion directly related to the topic is one way to get it back on topic)

I'm glad to see July 1st, which historically is chock full of terrible contracts, is somehow the measuring stick we use for success as a franchise.

Psstt. We got out guys. Eichel, Mitts, Dahlin, Reino, Risto, O'Reilly or his net worth, Scandella, plus all the kids we thought so much of to watch a 3 on 3 tourney with bated breathe. Save me all the consternation about overpaying today.

I'm glad to see July 1st, which historically is chock full of terrible contracts, is somehow the measuring stick we use for success as a franchise.

No, you're right.  But it's also one of the few times enabled by the CBA and modern player movement market in which most teams can attempt to improve their rosters while spending no player assets, only cash and cap space, to do so.

We have cash and cap space.  And we have needs.  And we were dead last.  I think fans are hoping Botterill will get out there and drink responsibly.

No, you're right. But it's also one of the few times enabled by the CBA and modern player movement market in which most teams can attempt to improve their rosters while spending no player assets, only cash and cap space, to do so.

We have cash and cap space. And we have needs. And we were dead last. I think fans are hoping Botterill will get out there and drink responsibly.

None of the deals today remind me of responsible. Everyone overpaid as this the season to do so. I'm good with building through the draft.

while re-signing wilson is okay, GMJBotto still hasn't done anything that makes me go WOW! In fact I've seennothing that exGMTM could not have done. meanwhile the TO press making it sound like their new nerdy young GM did all the hard work in getting JT to sign which is pretty funny...I could have gone along with BS and sat there and said a few things and taken credit for signing the guy. anyways, TO will never win much with that D...and they lost more then they added... 

No, you're right.  But it's also one of the few times enabled by the CBA and modern player movement market in which most teams can attempt to improve their rosters while spending no player assets, only cash and cap space, to do so.

We have cash and cap space.  And we have needs.  And we were dead last.  I think fans are hoping Botterill will get out there and drink responsibly.

Yeah, I always look at it two ways: Obviously you want to improve you team if you can, but I also think the marketing/PR perspective is important. You are selling hope to fans by signing a free agent or two. We've been so bad for so long that I think the marketing/PR perspective is particularly important for the Sabres.

while re-signing wilson is okay, GMJBotto still hasn't done anything that makes me go WOW! In fact I've seennothing that exGMTM could not have done. meanwhile the TO press making it sound like their new nerdy young GM did all the hard work in getting JT to sign which is pretty funny...I could have gone along with BS and sat there and said a few things and taken credit for signing the guy. anyways, TO will never win much with that D...and they lost more then they added...

What, exactly, would you like them to have done?

Edited by inkman

while re-signing wilson is okay, GMJBotto still hasn't done anything that makes me go WOW! In fact I've seennothing that exGMTM could not have done.

JBot has stated growth comes from the farm up (come on everyone, repeat the mantra).  It's an approach that doesn't lend itself to flashy trades and overpriced signings, but one that I hope will lead to a longer term period of contention for the Sabres.  You don't see the big splashes during the off-season, but hopefully we will see it as the prospects push their way into the Sabres lineup.

Since last season the Sabres added a top 4 D in Dahlin. A top 6 foward in Mittelstadt, another top 6 forward invSheary and improved their goaltending.

Tor added J.T., but what gave they done about their terrible D?

and which one of those teams made the playoffs and which one was out by thanksgiving?

Toronto signs a 1C to go with their 1C.

Buffalo signs a 13 forward

I look forward to the playoffs

Very true. Observers league wide were linking “Tavares Watch” with “Wilson Watch” all the time, so your post makes total sense.

Toronto's D is not terrible. They have a nice collection of top-4 players, even if none of them are a cornerstone stud.

What?? Morgan Riley is the only guy I would feel comfortable labelling as a top 4 on that team.

What?? Morgan Riley is the only guy I would feel comfortable labelling as a top 4 on that team.

I think Gardiner is their best by a reasonable margin. Rielly and Zaitsev are petty close. All 3 are top-4 guys, if no true first pairing amongst them. Plus they have Liljegren and Dermott on the way probably this year. No true studs, but again, you can get away with it when you have their forwards.

I think Gardiner is their best by a reasonable margin. Rielly and Zaitsev are petty close. All 3 are top-4 guys, if no true first pairing amongst them. Plus they have Liljegren and Dermott on the way probably this year. No true studs, but again, you can get away with it when you have their forwards.

The fan base literally had a go fund me page set up to buy out Gardiners contract last year and he’s the best of them all. He’s a good puck mover but still a liability in his own end.

They do have some guys coming but I would be pretty surprised if Liljegren plays a significant roll this season. I don’t know much about Dermott.

Leafs probably have a top 3 forward group in the league and a decent to good goalie but their D is not good. I would rank them bottom half of the league pretty easily. I talk to arrogant leaf fans daily who brag about guys even during the teams down years and it’s pretty unanimous everyone I talk to is constantly concerned about their D. There’s a reason their games are usually high scoring even though Anderson is a pretty good goalie.

The fan base literally had a go fund me page set up to buy out Gardiners contract last year and he’s the best of them all. He’s a good puck mover but still a liability in his own end.

They do have some guys coming but I would be pretty surprised if Liljegren plays a significant roll this season. I don’t know much about Dermott.

Leafs probably have a top 3 forward group in the league and a decent to good goalie but their D is not good. I would rank them bottom half of the league pretty easily. I talk to arrogant leaf fans daily who brag about guys even during the teams down years and it’s pretty unanimous everyone I talk to is constantly concerned about their D. There’s a reason their games are usually high scoring even though Anderson is a pretty good goalie.

Leafs fans also ran Kessel out of town. The dumping on Gardiner is a perfect example of highlighting the negative and not giving enough credit to the positive. Look at how O'Reilly gets smacked around by more than a few Sabres fans. Same thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.