Ristolainen picking things up and putting them down

Eleven

I don't doubt Risto's willingness to work, sweat, lift, push, grunt, and so on.

I do doubt his ability to think.

He's already plenty strong, he needs to get quicker and more agile. Building muscle mass will have quite the opposite affect.

He also needs to work on his passing and d-zone awareness. But go right ahead and flip some tires because that's a similar movement to nothing you would ever do on skates.

He's already plenty strong, he needs to get quicker and more agile. Building muscle mass will have quite the opposite affect.

He also needs to work on his passing and d-zone awareness. But go right ahead and flip some tires because that's a similar movement to nothing you would ever do on skates.

I don't always agree with you, but this is spot on.

I don't doubt Risto's willingness to work, sweat, lift, push, grunt, and so on.

I do doubt his ability to think.

This is somewhat valid.  But he's still young.  

This is just plain wrong.  First, the exercise he is performing builds muscle and endurance across the body.  Neck down to ankles.  Second, if you think that doesn't mean he gets leaner and quicker, wow.

I don't always agree with you, but this is spot on.

I think it depends, male sprinters are jacked. MMA fighters are jacked and both are what I would consider quick and agile. By flipping a gigantic tire he's building power throughout his core which could help his start/stop quickness and his ability to have a quick burst of speed. He's also going to be able to crush people into the boards and out muscle in the corners.

Flip tires all summer long Rasmus.

This is somewhat valid. But he's still young.

This is just plain wrong. First, the exercise he is performing builds muscle and endurance across the body. Neck down to ankles. Second, if you think that doesn't mean he gets leaner and quicker, wow.

Tire flipping is slow controlled movement which requires no agility or quickness.

He should be on the ice working on quick feet, agility and hitting passed out of the zone.

Part of what makes great players great is their ability to recognize their weaknesses and turn them into strengths. I fail to see how flipping massive heavy tires will make him improve his weaknesses.

Tire flipping is slow controlled movement which requires no agility or quickness.

He should be on the ice working on quick feet, agility and hitting passed out of the zone.

Part of what makes great players great is their ability to recognize their weaknesses and turn them into strengths. I fail to see how flipping massive heavy tires will make him improve his weaknesses.

I think there’s something to this. Based on what he chooses to present to the world, Rasmus’s workouts seem rooted in personal preference and vanity.

Because defensemen never have to clear someone from the crease or pin them to the boards, right?

Talked with a professional trainer who sometimes works with Ristolainen (although in a therapeutic capacity and not as a trainer).  He had no problems whatsoever with the tire workout.

Of course he doesn't. It's not a problematic exercise. Just not particularly useful. 

Of course he doesn't. It's not a problematic exercise. Just not particularly useful. 

Sure it's useful.  It works the entire body through the motion.

Arguably the best athlete of the last century, Bo Jackson, was big on pushing tires up and down hills when he was in high school.  It didn't save him from a disastrous hip injury, but given that hit, nothing was.

And anyway, I'd rather see this than Derek Roy's off-season regimen of 12-oz curls.

Edited by Eleven

Arguably the best athlete of the last century, Bo Jackson, was big on pushing tires up and down hills when he was in high school.  It didn't save him from a disastrous hip injury, but given that hit, nothing was.

And anyway, I'd rather see this than Derek Roy's off-season regimen of 12-oz curls.

:lol:  fair.

What? It hits almost every major muscle group.

Let me know if it makes a difference on the ice this season. 

This isn't fair. Everyone knows that Roy did 16oz curls

08_21_13_coorsbanquet_4.jpg

That just looks like a back injury waiting to happen. Seems like there are much safer exercises that would focus more on hockey movement than lifting heavy objects.

Right.  Because in a game situation, you always move in a perfect "hockey movement" motion (whatever that is).

This is Walter Payton & Jerry Rice kind of work ethic.

While other players are vacationing with their families or lifting at their local gyms, this guy is out in Spain at one of the most challenging gyms killing it each and every day.

Besides his immense talent, only being 23 years old, and signed under a very friendly contract, this guy is driven to get better like few in the game.

You just don't trade players like that.  Give him another year or two and his work ethic will be infectious with the rest of the team.

This is an optimistic take, but I generally agree with the key points regarding age, athleticism, contract and not trading him unless there is a really compelling offer/other reason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.