The Tank Responsibility Thread

LGR4GM

Agreed ^

I'll also add that if as some anti-tankers have said , all of the bad that we currently experience with the sabres is a direct result of the tank then this past seasons results which also gave us the first pick in this draft have to be considered spoils of the tank. In effect we got Eichel and Dahlin as a result of the tank. 

Until Eichel retires, the patient is still alive.

Eichel = Bass Pro.  "Silver bullets" usually don't work.  To build a team you have to build a team.  Yes, the quality of the parts matter, but Eichel is still only 1/23rd of the team.  Now with JBott in charge, maybe we can fill in the rest of the team with quality parts.

What does this mean?  I really don't get the reference.

Many years ago, the state had set aside money for the Rigas family to move the Adelphia HQ to Buffalo.

We all know why that didn't happen.

There were a lot of people in the community who wanted to use those funds to knock down the Aud and build a Bass Pro Shops store in its place, as if a single big-box retailer paying $7/hr was going to revitalize downtown.  Thankfully, those people were not successful.

The analogy is that a single asset isn't going to turn around the team.

What the analogy misses is that Eichel means much more to the Sabres than Bass Pro would have to Buffalo.

Many years ago, the state had set aside money for the Rigas family to move the Adelphia HQ to Buffalo.

We all know why that didn't happen.

There were a lot of people in the community who wanted to use those funds to knock down the Aud and build a Bass Pro Shops store in its place, as if a single big-box retailer paying $7/hr was going to revitalize downtown.  Thankfully, those people were not successful.

The analogy is that a single asset isn't going to turn around the team.

What the analogy misses is that Eichel means much more to the Sabres than Bass Pro would have to Buffalo.

very deep and obscure, but, I understand it know

Respectfully, I think this is a distinction without a difference.

The Sabres didn't tank, and no one would ever tank, just to get a great player.  A lousy team with a great player is no fun a-tall, as some of us have learned the hard way the past few years.

The sole reason to tank was the (wrong) theory that getting Eichel would enable a rebuild that would get the Sabres to a higher level than they otherwise would've achieved. 

The tank may be stage 1 of the project, and the rebuild stage 2, but they are very much parts of the same project.

IF the Sabres turn things around and win a cup in 5 years with Eichel. Will it still have been the wrong theory in your eyes?

A more nuanced, and accurate, view is that if your house needs some repairs, you shouldn't burn it to the ground because you think you'll ultimately be able to build a better house with a fancy cornerstone that has caught your eye -- because doing so usually ends up in you and your family sleeping under a bridge.

Giving the 2012 Sabres some repairs, would be equivalent to putting lipstick on a Pig.  

IF the Sabres turn things around and win a cup in 5 years with Eichel. Will it still have been the wrong theory in your eyes?

Yes. That would have made it a 10 year process in total. Dynasties rise and fall in that timeframe.

Yes. That would have made it a 10 year process in total. Dynasties rise and fall in that timeframe.

We've beat me to it.

I'd also point out that if the Sabres win a cup, it will likely be due at least as much to Dahlin than to Eichel -- and I disagree that getting Dahlin was part of the tank. 

We've beat me to it.

I'd also point out that if the Sabres win a cup, it will likely be due at least as much to Dahlin than to Eichel -- and I disagree that getting Dahlin was part of the tank. 

How can you disagree? You say the rebuild is part of the tank. We are still rebuilding. Therefore getting Dahlin is part of the Tank because during the rebuild we sucked enough to finish last. 

We've beat me to it.

How can you disagree? You say the rebuild is part of the tank. We are still rebuilding. Therefore getting Dahlin is part of the Tank because during the rebuild we sucked enough to finish last. 

This was not a Tank season. Dahlin has definitely not been part of the tank

Well, whoever is so inclined can dance around with terminology all he/she wants, but I'll venture that no one here wanted the Sabres to tank, get Eichel and still stink, which is undeniably what has happened so far -- and what the brave, clear-headed and handsome anti-tankers were concerned about. 

If what we've seen so far is a successful tank, I'd hate to see a failed one.

Well, whoever is so inclined can dance around with terminology all he/she wants, but I'll venture that no one here wanted the Sabres to tank, get Eichel and still stink, which is undeniably what has happened so far -- and what the brave, clear-headed and handsome anti-tankers were concerned about. 

The failed tank happened in Arizona who drafted Dylan Strome after they finished 29th, Edmonton won the lottery, and we got the consolation prize of Eichel. 

Edited by Alkoholist

I hate when people call an argument 'semantics'. A rebuild and a Tank are two ENTIRELY different things. It's not terminology or semantics. One is a strategy of the other

I hate when people call an argument 'semantics'. A rebuild and a Tank are two ENTIRELY different things. It's not terminology or semantics. One is a strategy of the other

Would you agree that a tank is a type of rebuild?  And that the Sabres, in approaching their rebuild, adopted the tank as their method of rebuilding?

The failed tank happened in Arizona who drafted Dylan Strome after they finished 29th, Edmonton won the lottery, and we got the consolation prize of Eichel. 

And yet AZ finished ahead of the Sabres this year.

Would you agree that a tank is a type of rebuild?  And that the Sabres, in approaching their rebuild, adopted the tank as their method of rebuilding?

I would say the Tank was a portion of the rebuild, not a type of it. Tanks last a season or 2, rebuilds last 3-4 years

And yet AZ finished ahead of the Sabres this year.

AZ was 17-9-4 in their last 30 games. I wonder if they've finally turned a corner.

Yeah not the 500 draft picks that didn't hit outside of Eichel

Which years in particular are you zoning in on? If only we had Barbashev instead of Karabacek, eh?

AZ was 17-9-4 in their last 30 games. I wonder if they've finally turned a corner.

Which years in particular are you zoning in on? If only we had Barbashev instead of Karabacek, eh?

What prospects do we have that have hit since the Reinhart draft?

What prospects do we have that have hit since the Reinhart draft?

A lot of people like Guhle, Mittelstadt, Davidsson, Asplund, Borgen, and Pu, even though it's far too early to tell on any of those guys. 

I highly doubt that it's provable that a significant number of teams did better than that batch in the time since the Eichel draft, since most people drafted in that time who are going to make the NHL still haven't made the NHL yet, or done anything of note in it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.