Ristolainen, O'Regan and Baptiste - Sabres Next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Who will Be Sabres Next Year  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Ristolainen

• Young scoring D are impossible to find - No way Jbot trades him - On opening roster
    • Traded to get Jack some wingers.
  2. 2. O'Regan (RFA)

• Signed to a deal and makes the Sabres as the 4th line center
    • Signed to a deal, but starts the year in Rochester
    • No qualifying offer is made and he becomes a UFA
    • Qualifying offer made, but rights traded away
  3. 3. Baptiste (RFA)

• Signed to a new deal and makes the team as a 3rd or 4th line RW
    • Signed to a new deal, but struggles in camp and is sent down to start the season
    • No qualifying offer made and he becomes a UFA
    • Qualifying offer made, but rights traded away

Keep, who cares, yawn.

Exactly.  I forget that O'Regan even exists. He's like that Wilson guy.

Here is why the Wilson’s and O’Regan’s are important; this organization is desperate for the depth on this team to produce. Last season our depth players like Griffith, Larrson, Nolan, Moulson, Bailey and Baptiste produced from 0-4 goals in various amounts of games. Wilson came in and scored 6 in only 49 games. Erod, a former player you both likely yawned over as well, scored 7g and 18a in only 48 games (a 42 pt pace).

If we want to take a step forward, our depth needs to improve and guys like Erod, Wilson and O’Regan may just be the answer to our depth problem.

Here is why the Wilson’s and O’Regan’s are important; this organization is desperate for the depth on this team to produce. Last season our depth players like Griffith, Larrson, Nolan, Moulson, Bailey and Baptiste produced from 0-4 goals in various amounts of games. Wilson came in and scored 6 in only 49 games. Erod, a former player you both likely yawned over as well, scored 7g and 18a in only 48 games (a 42 pt pace).

If we want to take a step forward, our depth needs to improve and guys like Erod, Wilson and O’Regan may just be the answer to our depth problem.

"Various amounts of games," as if they were given a chance.  Bailey had 3 goals in 12 games.  That's better than 6 in 49 or 7 in 48, isn't it?  And Danny O'Regan?  Has no grade point average.  All courses incomplete.

Guys like that are in the way; they're not part of the solution.

Edited by Eleven

Well, JBott liked O’Regan enough to take him in the Kane trade, so I’m reasonably optimistic that he’ll contribute at the NHL level at some point. I’ll predict that he jumps ahead of at least 2 of Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching and Nylander and gets called up during the season.

Well, JBott liked O’Regan enough to take him in the Kane trade, so I’m reasonably optimistic that he’ll contribute at the NHL level at some point. I’ll predict that he jumps ahead of at least 2 of Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching and Nylander and gets called up during the season.

In my unprofessional opinion, he's definitely ahead of Fasching and Nylander and pretty close to surpassing the other two.

Guys like Erod, Wilson, O’Regan are our depth. Pretty damned meh from what what I’ve seen to date. Edited by We've

you don't think that is likely an improvement over Nolan, Josefson and Griffith?

They’ve all been here at the same tme. Keeping what put us down in last place isn’t an improvement over anything. Those 6 have been pretty interchangeable.

I'm with We've on this one. They don't move the needle at all for me. They're all just a whole lotta nothin.

Move the needle? What do you expect from depth players 50 points? Erod was on a 42 pts pace last season and has improved everyear. He stays healthy he’ll contribute. I think O’Regan could have a similar impact.

Saying Josefson is a good as ERod or even Wilson is funny considering Wilson and ERod will be in the NHL next season and Josefson won’t.

Move the needle? What do you expect from depth players 50 points? Erod was on a 42 pts pace last season and has improved everyear. He stays healthy he’ll contribute. I think O’Regan could have a similar impact.

Saying Josefson is a good as ERod or even Wilson is funny considering Wilson and ERod will be in the NHL next season and Josefson won’t.

Move the needle meaning... something, anything. I feel nothing for any of them. they're a 2004 beige Kia Optima. I'd like a Toyota Corolla. I'd even settle for a Hyundai.

Botterill needed a live body to justify his crappy trade for a second-round draft pick a year later than the trade, and you know that.  

I'm with We've on this one. They don't move the needle at all for me. They're all just a whole lotta nothin.

Yep.  Danny O'Noonan isn't going to be an NHL guy.

Botterill needed a live body to justify his crappy trade for a second-round draft pick a year later than the trade, and you know that.  

Yep.  Danny O'Noonan isn't going to be an NHL guy.

While I somewhat agree on that O'Regan helped Jbot justify his trade of Kane, O'Regan was the AHL ROY after scoring 58 pts in 63 games in 16/17.   The kid has only gotten 4th line minutes in 24 NHL games.  I'd like to see him get a better assignment before righting him off.

While I somewhat agree on that O'Regan helped Jbot justify his trade of Kane, O'Regan was the AHL ROY after scoring 58 pts in 63 games in 16/17.   The kid has only gotten 4th line minutes in 24 NHL games.  I'd like to see him get a better assignment before righting him off.

Right or wrong, we shouldn't write him off yet.

I think Sheary is a great JBot comparable to Danny O'Regan. Guentzel also fits the mold a little (great college career, immediate success in AHL, graduation to NHL) but was a better prospect and has found more success than I ever expect Danny to find. 

O'Regan 

4 years college: 1.00 PPG

2 years AHL: 0.875 PPG

Cup of coffee in NHL at age 23: 0.21 PPG (24 games)

Full NHL duty: age 24???

Sheary

4 years college: 0.77 PPG

2 years AHL: 0.90 PPG

Cup of coffee in NHL at age 23: 0.22 PPG (44 games)

Full NHL duty: age 24

Sheary's production dropped in half this year when he was moved away from Crosby (duh). But he still would have ranked in our top 6 forwards in terms of points. If we can find that kind of production out of O'Regan, that's not a write-off. That's middle six scoring that we desperately need.

I think what people are missing in the O’ Regan talk is how it’s not just about how good O’Regan is today, it’s how if you get enough O’Regans, it makes the team better. Internal competition creates critical mass that forces guys to improve if they want ice time.

If you’ve got nine guys legitimately in the battle for the last two spots in Buffalo and first line in Rochester, they are going to be forced to work harder in order to earn those spots than if that same battle is between just four guys.

It’s creating a crucible that forces guys to improve. Whether it’s O’Regan who emerges, or Ogilvie, or Olafsson, each one is pushing the others.

Edited by dudacek

I think what people are missing in the O’ Regan talk is how it’s not just about how good O’Regan is today, it’s how if you get enough O’Regans, it makes the team better. Internal competition creates critical mass that forces guys to improve if they want ice time.

If you’ve got nine guys legitimately in the battle for the last two spots in Buffalo and first line in Rochester, they are going to be forced to work harder in order to earn those spots than if the battle is between three guys.

It’s creating a crucible that forces guys to improve. Whether it’s O’Regan who emerges, or Ogilvie, or Olafsson, each one is pushing the others.

+1

I have Smith, Olofsson, Pilut and others coming up in future polls.  Jbot has very efficiently improved the talent depth in the organization.   Job competition is only going to get more fierce as Pu, Davidsson, and Asplund develop.

I'm amazed on how quickly this thread got to 45 votes.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.