2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

Whats everyone's thoughts on how the roseter will look next season taking into account the following:

1/ Final draft postition 1-4?

2/ Possible trade of ROR or Risto

3/ Free Agency Signings

4/ Other trades made

Not a great start by Rochester in the play offs but Syracuse are a good team and i am still happy with Ullmark, Guhle, Bailey and Baptiste being in Buffalo next season if they make it out a camp. Hopefully CJ can make the roster and Nylander looked ok when he was up. Hopefully Nelson can also be signed. Will Oloffson, Asplund make an impact?

My thinking something like this:

FA-ROR-Reinhart

Nylander-Eichel-Okposo

Rodrigues-Mittlestadt-Baptiste

CJ Smith-Malone-Bailey

Dahlin-FA

Risto-Scandella

Guhle-Nelson

Ullmark

FA

Whats everyone's thoughts on how the roseter will look next season taking into account the following:

1/ Final draft postition 1-4?

2/ Possible trade of ROR or Risto

3/ Free Agency Signings

4/ Other trades made

Not a great start by Rochester in the play offs but Syracuse are a good team and i am still happy with Ullmark, Guhle, Bailey and Baptiste being in Buffalo next season if they make it out a camp. Hopefully CJ can make the roster and Nylander looked ok when he was up. Hopefully Nelson can also be signed. Will Oloffson, Asplund make an impact?

My thinking something like this:

FA-ROR-Reinhart

Nylander-Eichel-Okposo

Rodrigues-Mittlestadt-Baptiste

CJ Smith-Malone-Bailey

Dahlin-FA

Risto-Scandella

Guhle-Nelson

Ullmark

FA

Not enough moves...JBots is in serious shake up mode.  I still believe one of ROR, Okposo, or Risto being moved.   Since Risto is still young and on a good contract for the minutes he eats up we as fans have to live with his mistakes.  Think how good he will be when he is 25-27 yrs old.  

ROR makes the most sense to move.  Would be able to garner the most return for a player liked around the league.  Just doesn't fir Buffalo's mold moving forward. 

Okposo I think could be good on Jack or Casey's wing, they would just need speed on the other side.  I think of Okposo as a Vanek type player.  Going to get his points on the PP and be the trailer on rushes.

Lou, the suggested roster only has 6 guys who appeared on this year’s opening day roster. A 14-16 guy change in the roster isn’t enough of a shake up for you?

Just too many young guys.  I know JBots wants speed, but also wants experience.  Look for guys to be brought in that are 23-25yrs old that have played a few years in the league but not getting chances with their current club to move up.

Nylander is looking more and more like a bust and shouldn’t be on any near term toster projections. At this point I think it is optimistic to simply say he has a long way to go.

We have no idea what CJ Smith has at the NHL level, and Molone is still a work in process that *might* turn into something down the road.

And Erod and Baptiste will be more of what we got this past season.

If that is our opening night roster I may not watch a single game all season.

Nylander is looking more and more like a bust and shouldn’t be on any near term toster projections. At this point I think it is optimistic to simply say he has a long way to go.

We have no idea what CJ Smith has at the NHL level, and Molone is still a work in process that *might* turn into something down the road.

i really hope botts pulls a few surprises between now and october. just dont want to go through another season like we just did.

Agreed on almost everything. If Dahlin and Mittelstadt are in that lineup though I'm watching every game

Agreed on almost everything. If Dahlin and Mittelstadt are in that lineup though I'm watching every game

Dahlin would move the needle.

But if he is our only major roster change, I am going to seriously doubt JBott's ability to get it done.

But if he is our only major roster change, I am going to seriously doubt JBott's ability to get it done.

I don't think that is fair.  Look what Jbot inherited.  Huge contracts to Bogo, Moulson, ROR, KO, Gorges, plus a pipeline devoid of top end talent despite the tank especially on D.  He is really starting from scratch.  

I will say this, the franchise needs to be substantially better next season.  Hockey 500.

I don't think that is fair.  Look what Jbot inherited.  Huge contracts to Bogo, Moulson, ROR, KO, Gorges, plus a pipeline devoid of top end talent despite the tank especially on D.  He is really starting from scratch.  

I will say this, the franchise needs to be substantially better next season.  Hockey 500.

It's not fair to expect a major roster change outside of your 1st round pick after an unintended last place season?  Sheesh.  I guess the low expectations are going to continue for this team.

It's not fair to expect a major roster change outside of your 1st round pick after an unintended last place season?  Sheesh.  I guess the low expectations are going to continue for this team.

You're going to get major roster change.  I'm actually expecting  as many as 16 new players from this year's opening day roster. What I'm not expecting other then a buy out of Bogo and letting Lehner walk, is a major trade involving someone like KO (not tradeable) ROR, or RIsto, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the major change your talking about. I'm just saying it's a little to early to call Jbot a failure if the team isn't a playoff team next season.

I have decided that if this team is basically the same team as this year I am cancelling my tv package for the first time in a long long time. I cannot take another season of the same. 

You're going to get major roster change.  I'm actually expecting  as many as 16 new players from this year's opening day roster. What I'm not expecting other then a buy out of Bogo and letting Lehner walk, is a major trade involving someone like KO (not tradeable) ROR, or RIsto, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the major change your talking about. I'm just saying it's a little to early to call Jbot a failure if the team isn't a playoff team next season.

I do personally expect a playoff charge next season.  Were you not one of the folks here holding up Colorado as a shining example of what we might expect? 

But that isn't what this conversation was specifically about.  And in that context, I do expect a major roster shakeup that includes outside players coming in.  Promotions from within are more of the same for next season.  We need to expect this GM to make a bigger move than that.

ROR makes the most sense to move.  Would be able to garner the most return for a player liked around the league.  Just doesn't fir Buffalo's mold moving forward.

I'm not sure it makes sense in terms of the minutes he eats against top lines and his faceoff wins.  And is his contract tradeable?  Do other teams want to take it on?

I'm not sure it makes sense in terms of the minutes he eats against top lines and his faceoff wins. And is his contract tradeable? Do other teams want to take it on?

I think Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson and many others have taught us any contract is tradeable under the right circumstances.

I'm not sure it makes sense in terms of the minutes he eats against top lines and his faceoff wins.  And is his contract tradeable?  Do other teams want to take it on?

Bolded - hasn't really meant much here in terms of wins and success.

I think his contract is tradeable, there will be a few GM's that will think about your bolded statement as well and would think he might need a change of scenery.  What they are willing to trade is a whole different category.  

I have decided that if this team is basically the same team as this year I am cancelling my tv package for the first time in a long long time. I cannot take another season of the same. 

I'm not so sure.  More of the same might be what this team needs.  Our young and middling players have seen so many different systems over the last few years it's hard to expect them to know what they're supposed to do.  I'd like to see HCPH come into camp with a number of players already familiar with his system.  I certainly don't want to see JAGs traded out for other JAGs. 

I think Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson and many others have taught us any contract is tradeable under the right circumstances.

Alot of the right circumstances involves teams setting up to lose, and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious ones at the moment.

I do personally expect a playoff charge next season. Were you not one of the folks here holding up Colorado as a shining example of what we might expect?

But that isn't what this conversation was specifically about. And in that context, I do expect a major roster shakeup that includes outside players coming in. Promotions from within are more of the same for next season. We need to expect this GM to make a bigger move than that.

I am one of the Colo example folks and I still believe that is possible. However I’m also realistic and move that great don’t happen all that often. However moved from the bottom to 500+ are common and easily possible for this group with an improved D. I do agree that Jbot must find at least one top 4 for next year from outside the organization. We need two, but must have at least one. As to the forwards, I think you’ll see some value acquisitions there like Rieder from LA or Sheahan or Rust from Pitt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.