So glad Sabrespace is not the GM

Doohickie

The quotes coming out of that room yesterday were from a bunch of losers that need to get shipped out yesterday. Echel, Reinhart and Casey are the only 3 that deserve to stay at this point. Go trade O'Reilly for some good bodies in St. Louis. Give Eichel the C and let's hope there are as many new faces on this team next year as there was this year.

I like Wilson, he's shown some chemistry on the RORRs line. He's another one of the JAGs I'd like to keep.

Zemgus is what Zemgus is, why do you think he's broken?? 

After all the he's been through, I don't think losing really bothers him that much anymore.    It's unavoidable given the environment he's been in.   

Maybe I'm completely wrong and he's the hardest working most diligent player on the team, in the gym, at practice, during film study, etc...

After all the ###### he's been through, I don't think losing really bothers him that much anymore.    It's unavoidable given the environment he's been in.   

Maybe I'm completely wrong and he's the hardest working most diligent player on the team, in the gym, at practice, during film study, etc...

I think you're projecting there.  And if it were unavoidable for the players, wouldn't it also be true of the fans?  It's not, is it.  And the players are much more heavily invested in the games.  So what makes you think Gus has accepted losing?

I think you're projecting there.  And if it were unavoidable for the players, wouldn't it also be true of the fans?  It's not, is it.  And the players are much more heavily invested in the games.  So what makes you think Gus has accepted losing?

My experience as a player.   I've never been paid very much to play, but it's very very difficult to have the same drive and determination in everything you do when you have zero chance of reaching your goal (playoffs).    It's not a conscious decision, it's a natural reaction to dealing with a painful experience.    The first step in dealing with loss is acceptance.... you can't move on from it until you accept it.    When you're forced to accept it over and over and over and over again, then suddenly the 20th loss of the season becomes just a bit easier to stomach than the 1st loss, and it snowballs from there. The only cure is winning, which breeds confidence and re-affirms that all the hard work and attention to detail is being rewarded.     When you work and work and work and work you ass off, do all the right things off the ice, but never get rewarded for it, the fire inside will dim just a bit... and that's all it takes to derail your season.    I don't care who you are, that's just human nature.   

My experience as a player.   I've never been paid very much to play, but it's very very difficult to have the same drive and determination in everything you do when you have zero chance of reaching your goal (playoffs).    It's not a conscious decision, it's a natural reaction to dealing with a painful experience.    The first step in dealing with loss is acceptance.... you can't move on from it until you accept it.    When you're forced to accept it over and over and over and over again, then suddenly the 20th loss of the season becomes just a bit easier to stomach than the 1st loss, and it snowballs from there. The only cure is winning, which breeds confidence and re-affirms that all the hard work and attention to detail is being rewarded.     When you work and work and work and work you ass off, do all the right things off the ice, but never get rewarded for it, the fire inside will dim just a bit... and that's all it takes to derail your season.    I don't care who you are, that's just human nature.   

Maybe that's just your experience.

Quitter.

:P

Hallelujah.. the most sane response so far.

The team will start next season with a hope and determination of winning and unlike this season will not have guys on 1 year deals littering the lineup and a new coach trying to change the way everyone WAS playing hockey.

No one wants to put it all on the line for a team that can't get anywhere.  The only players who are going to care are the one's who need a new contract next year.  Everyone else knows they are locked in for the long haul or they might get traded and in which case, getting traded from the 31st team in the league can't be a bad thing right?

Nolan would have been fine if the rest of the team had bothered to show up. He was a perfectly acceptable 4th liner in LA. It's not Nolan's fault he spent too much time above the 13th forward slot this season. 

Nolan was definitely a problem on the ice. He is terrible. A liability, if you will. Icing players who are black holes like he is is a major part of this franchise's problem.

Agreed, Nolan was not a solution. I was in fact quite disturbed with how Nolan replaced Deslauriers.  The move had HCPH written all over it. Nick has heart.  He scored 10 (ten!) goals this year in Montreal.  Montreal, by the way, finished ahead of us in the standings.  [i did say that if we had to get rid off Nick, then Redmond was a good short term return.  Redmond hit career highs with Roch while helping them get back into the Calder Cup Playoffs.]

This was a move made to please the head coach and his vaunted "system".  Sure we need speedy guys. But we also saw how little heart and passion is left on the team. 

Maybe it's because I only listen to the radio streams but Nolan _sounded_ totally invisible in every game but two (one where he scored 2 goals, and one where he scored another).

Wilson seemed more like GMJB actually making a planned move instead of a knee-jerk reaction to a waivers offering.  Wilson seems to be a nice, and cheap, pick-up.

Edited by etiennep99

And that my friends describes Western New York to a tee.  Economy really, really, sucks.  Winter weather sucks.  Sports teams usually suck.  Cities are filling up with legal and illegal immigrants who, well, I'll let you complete the sentence based on your own politcal views....But once you accept a losing culture, and set into place failed economic policies at state and local levels, well, the disillusion can cause brain damage.

WNY seems to have old leftovers (like me) who stay for some reason (family) or some imports (like a lot of unethical medical "professionals" coming here because they couldn't make it elsewhere), and a lot of immigrants from places which had wretched economies and politics....Where's the solution?

My experience as a player. I've never been paid very much to play, but it's very very difficult to have the same drive and determination in everything you do when you have zero chance of reaching your goal (playoffs). It's not a conscious decision, it's a natural reaction to dealing with a painful experience. The first step in dealing with loss is acceptance.... you can't move on from it until you accept it. When you're forced to accept it over and over and over and over again, then suddenly the 20th loss of the season becomes just a bit easier to stomach than the 1st loss, and it snowballs from there. The only cure is winning, which breeds confidence and re-affirms that all the hard work and attention to detail is being rewarded. When you work and work and work and work you ass off, do all the right things off the ice, but never get rewarded for it, the fire inside will dim just a bit... and that's all it takes to derail your season. I don't care who you are, that's just human nature.

Or you could just put your head down and work harder, figuring out how to get your linemates to work harder. Same as in life, and that is what leaders do. Wilson’s quote is what OReilly should be organizing during the off season and demanding during the season.

Call it professional pride. Dont need an attaboy to do a good job. Don’t get them much in the med field... so what... grow up.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.