Summer of Survival: Shaking up the Core.

LGR4GM

I said earlier today I think the only locks out of the non-rookies to be here for the start of next season are Jack, Samson, KO. ROR and Risto could get traded, or not depending on the possible return. I absolutely don't care about the rest of the JAGs, but would imagine they won't all be leaving.

You're trading Risto, ROR, Okposo, Reinhart, ummm McCabe, other ppl

I mean those aren't the core anymore, are they? Those are really just ancillary pieces.

As far as those players go, I'm keeping all of them. Well, mostly. Realistically, I'm moving

Pomminvile

Larsson

Bogosian

Bailey

Baptiste

Falk

Fedun

Johnson

Nolan

Balloon

Pouliot

Lehner

Some of those guys can go to Rochester, sure. But I don't want any of them in the starting lineup next fall

And damn you Flagg for making me turn against Pommers

Edited by Jokertecken

He might but who's the core now.

Right, for me Casey is in that and Okposo is not. Casey will be on the team next year and will be a major part of the core of this team when successful. Okposo is just beyond expendable, and really we'd be lucky if someone else took him

My core for this team is

Eichel

Mittelstadt

RoR

Reinhart

Risto

Our pick this year

If it's Dahlin then Risto is not part of the core. If Svechnikov, then Reinhart is not part of the core. If neither, then we wait and see I suppose

He might but who's the core now. Add Mittelstadt if you want but we can't have the 5 guys I mentioned all back. Somethings gotta give

Probably. My guess is Okposo is unloaded in a similar way Dareus was for the Bills, or any other overpaid player. Then I'd bet one of Reinhart or RoR is gone Edited by Jokertecken

Don't worry about jags, just worry about the core.

Would be nice to keep the right guys from top on down. Flynn & Schaller are JAGs but would've been better than some other guys here & seem to bring the effort we're looking for.

While it's good to be building in Ra-cha-cha & trying to upgrade the top 10 skaters & the goaltending, it's the very rare SC winner that doesn't have JAG's contributing as well. Need those guys too.

Would be nice to keep the right guys from top on down. Flynn & Schaller are JAGs but would've been better than some other guys here & seem to bring the effort we're looking for.

While it's good to be building in Ra-cha-cha & trying to upgrade the top 10 skaters & the goaltending, it's the very rare SC winner that doesn't have JAG's contributing as well. Need those guys too.

But that's not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is which of the core survive the summer.

But that's not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is which of the core survive the summer.

Who the #### can say which members of the "core" remain after this off-season? We don't even have a definition of who the core comprises.

Cart before the horse meinen freund. Cart before the horse.

Who the #### can say which members of the "core" remain after this off-season? We don't even have a definition of who the core comprises.

Cart before the horse meinen freund. Cart before the horse.

I’d say the core is the 4 forwards, and 2 D-Men we are most reliant on. Core doesn’t necessarily have to be defined as the players we want or that even management wants as the long term building blocks, just as what the foundation currently is now. As always, subject to change.

Eichel/Okposo/O’Reilly/Reinhart

Ristolainen/Scandella

That’s the current spine of our team, for better or worse. The core can always shrink or increase depending on quantity of impact players, but to my mind I always see it as at about 6 guys as stated. There are a couple guys (Okposo and Scandella come to mind) who we’d rather not see there going forward in those key spots, but it’s what we lean on now.

I see O’Reilly getting replaced with Mittelstadt. I think Casey has a good shot at becoming a top 6 fixture, but I think O’Reilly moves in a trade this summer regardless. Not that I’d like to see him traded, or that I think Casey is ready for that role yet, but it certainly seems possible right now that ROR gets dealt.

I hope Okposo gets replaced with a Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstom or Scandella with a Dahlin. If we get lucky and land Dahlin, the Okposo replacement is probably the easier of the two to find. Whichever of the two isn’t addressed with our first might be addressed with a potential ROR deal.

Obviously we’d be keeping Scandella, but he’d no longer necessarily be counted as as part of the “core”. Okposo..he’s gonna be here.

I’d say the core is the 4 forwards, and 2 D-Men we are most reliant on. Core doesn’t necessarily have to be defined as the players we want or that even management wants as the long term building blocks, just as what the foundation currently is now. As always, subject to change.

Eichel/Okposo/O’Reilly/Reinhart

Ristolainen/Scandella

That’s the current spine of our team, for better or worse. The core can always shrink or increase depending on quantity of impact players, but to my mind I always see it as at about 6 guys as stated. There are a couple guys (Okposo and Scandella come to mind) who we’d rather not see there going forward in those key spots, but it’s what we lean on now.

I see O’Reilly getting replaced with Mittelstadt. I think Casey has a good shot at becoming a top 6 fixture, but I think O’Reilly moves in a trade this summer regardless. Not that I’d like to see him traded, or that I think Casey is ready for that role yet, but it certainly seems possible right now that ROR gets dealt.

I hope Okposo gets replaced with a Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstom or Scandella with a Dahlin. If we get lucky and land Dahlin, the Okposo replacement is probably the easier of the two to find. Whichever of the two isn’t addressed with our first might be addressed with a potential ROR deal.

Obviously we’d be keeping Scandella, but he’d no longer necessarily be counted as as part of the “core”. Okposo..he’s gonna be here.

Going to be interesting. Wonder when this might happen if it does - draft or free agency??

This thread is about sweeping change, but much of the change has already happened. 30% of the roster has already turned over. Ullmark, Guhle, Nelson, Baptiste, Mittelstadt, ERod and Wilson have all claimed spots on next year’s roster. Bailey and Fasching, if re-signed, must now clear waivers to return to the AHL. Add the player we draft in the top 3, assuming we get a top 3 pick and possibly Nylander and you are up to 11 new faces on the opening roster for next season.

Jbot is pretty subtle. I just don’t see TM style moves. I don’t see him moving Risto or ROR this off-season. I think he’ll work something to get add another top 4 D and will buy out Bogo if he can. I also think he dumps Larry and probably Z for draft picks or other depth.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This thread is about sweeping change, but much of the change has already happened. 30% of the roster has already turned over. Ullmark, Guhle, Nelson, Baptiste, Mittelstadt, ERod and Wilson have all claimed spots on next year’s roster. Bailey and Fasching, if re-signed, must now clear waivers to return to the AHL. Add the player we draft in the top 3, assuming we get a top 3 pick and possibly Nylander and you are up to 11 new faces on the opening roster for next season.

Exactly. The team in October will be 50 per cent different than the team last October, which was 50 different than the previous year.

The locker room this year was filled with people who felt stuck.

The key is replacing the Pouliots and the Larssons with guys like Wilson and Scandella who aren’t beaten down and tilt the spiritual balance in the locker room. Many of those will be kids who we hope will be in a good place mentally from some success in Rochester.

I’m not sure you can complete that process however, without trading a core piece.

Maybe ROR and Okposo and Risto can find a way rejuvenate their spirits over the summer. Maybe not.

Edited by dudacek

Exactly. The team in October will be 50 per cent different than the team last October, which was 50 different than the previous year.

The locker room this year was filled with people who felt stuck.

The key is replacing the Pouliots and the Larssons with guys like Wilson and Scandella who aren’t beaten down and tilt the spiritual balance in the locker room. Many of those will be kids who we hope will be in a good place mentally from some success in Rochester.

I’m not sure you can complete that process however, without trading a core piece.

Maybe ROR and Okposo and Risto can find a way rejuvenate their spirits over the summer. Maybe not.

Winning fixes the lockerroom and attitude. I look at all three’s production this season and despite what was going on ROR had 61 pts and set a record for faceoff wins. KO despite recovering from a concussion and visit to the ICU but his production was decent and he never gave up effort wise. Risto also still produces.

The issue on the team was depth at forward which you, me and other realized before the season, a terrible D group and goaltending which should have been solid but wasn’t. 1/3 of the D group turned over already. The depth forwards have mostly turned over and 50% of the goaltender tandem has already been replaced. All these kids will be a breath of fresh air in the lockeroom.

If we add offense from lines 3&4 and the D, this will help take the pressure off the top 2 lines and send a message to Jack and ROR that you don’t have to carry all the weight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.