Forwards Next Year - Status Quo or Major Overhaul?

GASabresIUFAN

I'm afraid Okposo could be the next Moulson.   

He's been downright awful, not just because he's not scoring, but he's a huge liability defensively.... his TR+/- is off the charts bad at -14.   On a bad team that means he's an anchor... he's a huge part of the problem.

I'd like to give KO one summer without being in ICU before writing him off.

I'd like to give KO one summer without being in ICU before writing him off.

I’m with you on this one. I agree that KO has had a tough season especially defensively, but he is more then just a product of playing with Tavares. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a 3rd line player in the near future.

I think it's fairly obvious, but the Sabres are FINALLY playing with some of that speed that Housley promised us at the beginning of the year. They look much better now and are showing signs of potentially being a much better team next year without any major overhaul. I think it is highly possible that this transition has simply taken a lot longer than we had hoped for and good things are in the near future. 

And all these kids are so young and so far from their peak years it would be insane to do an overhaul now. Yes, we are in last place, but each year the kids get better and better and we will add more talent. I think the base group is pretty much in place but they will need to add more talent at the right time. Obviously they need to score more. I like our top six and think with Bailey, Baptiste and Erod, the bottom six is coming along. If those three average about 12 goals each next year, that will be great! 

The defense is looking "good" and getting better. We finally have depth. Even with McCabe out we don't have to put Gorges in there. That's a good step forward. BUT, will they score enough from back end? I'm not seeing it. I think they will have to add another high end defenseman into the mix. Draft, free agent or whatever

we've all been wanting to make it. When you have been playing together for three years and you know all of us are up here, it's exciting.

And right there, lies the hope for next year.  If we can replace placeholder players with callups like these guys, we'll be a playoff team next year.  No disrespect to Pouliot or Wilson or Nolan or Josefson, but most of their slots need to be filled by up-and-comers like Baptiste-ERod-Bailey for the Sabres to take the next step.

Edited by Anordning

And right there, lies the hope for next year.  If we can replace placeholder players with callups like these guys, we'll be a playoff team next year.  No disrespect to Pouliot or Wilson or Nolan or Josefson, but most of their slots need to be filled by up-and-comers like Baptiste-ERod-Bailey for the Sabres to take the next step.

Last night was not good yeah, but posts like the one above still give me hope for next season. Although it is frustrating that we cant find it within ourselves to raise our game/energy levels against teams round about us.

There are players on the roster now who can make this right, just need now to find the ones to play with them so we can take things to the next level.

So Sabres need 3 more forwards... 2 for Jack, 1 for ROR/Sam line, 3rd line rookies effort good.. 4th line pests of Larrson, Nolan,Girgenson Wilson. Bring up CJ Smith and maybe Oloffson... dont want Nylander anywhere near this team.

Hopefully get Zadina or Svechnikov. What will happen with Casey?? Would expect Smith to get an opportunity and if Oloffson impresses at camp get him in.

WHAT NEXT STEP???  Are you delusional?  They are in last place with the players they have and truly stink.  Do you think they'll get 20 more points with the players you mentioned?  They are AHL starters at best.

WHAT NEXT STEP???  Are you delusional?  They are in last place with the players they have and truly stink.  Do you think they'll get 20 more points with the players you mentioned?  They are AHL starters at best.

To be fair, Bailey, ERod and Baptiste are a step up from Josefson, Nolan and Larsson.

That said, as Duda and I discussed above, it's going to be hard for this team to score the 40+ more goals necessary to be a contender if the only roster enhancements are our top draft pick, Casey and the guys mentioned above.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

WHAT NEXT STEP??? Are you delusional? They are in last place with the players they have and truly stink. Do you think they'll get 20 more points with the players you mentioned? They are AHL starters at best.

I do, as long as you also add Mittelstadt, svechnikov/zadina or Tkachuk.

Then you add Guhle / Nelson and better goaltending - I would bet on a 20 point improvement

Edited by Crusader1969

WHAT NEXT STEP??? Are you delusional? They are in last place with the players they have and truly stink. Do you think they'll get 20 more points with the players you mentioned? They are AHL starters at best.

The more I think about this, keep Jack, and Sam upfront and fire the rest. Seriously who else upfront is a difference maker and not easily replaced? ROR? I think he is part of the attitude problem.

Obviously this isn't going to happen because of certain TM contracts, but given this team's lack of leadership and work ethic something has to change.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Looking at potential UFA' to help fill void of current players we don't resign.

Riley Nash- 3rd or 4th line center who can score 10-15 goals and give you 25-30 points.  Sign to 2 or 3 year contract at 2-2.5 mil a year.  Trade Larsson.

David Perron 1st or 2nd LW...gritty winger who can score 15-20 goals and give you 40-50 points.  Sign to 3 year contract at AAV of $4.5 million. 

Resign RFA's Wilson, Bailey and Baptiste

18-19 Line up

Perron- Eichel- Okposo

Mittelstadt- ROR- Reinhart

Wilson- Nash- Pommer

Baptiste- ERod- Bailey

Looking at potential UFA' to help fill void of current players we don't resign.

Riley Nash- 3rd or 4th line center who can score 10-15 goals and give you 25-30 points.  Sign to 2 or 3 year contract at 2-2.5 mil a year.  Trade Larsson.

David Perron 1st or 2nd LW...gritty winger who can score 15-20 goals and give you 40-50 points.  Sign to 3 year contract at AAV of $4.5 million. 

Resign RFA's Wilson, Bailey and Baptiste

18-19 Line up

Perron- Eichel- Okposo

Mittelstadt- ROR- Reinhart

Wilson- Nash- Pommer

Baptiste- ERod- Bailey

Refreshing and reasonable ideas.  I like Riley Nash.  Perron is an interesting idea as well.  He'd be solid Mittelstadt and Svechnikov/Zadina insurance if they prove not ready for NHL duty.  If the guys prove ready adding Perron to Wilson and the two kids would give us excellent depth at LW.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I still cringe every time I see Erod on a roster projection for next year.  And Bailey still isn't doing anything to convince me he belongs her over any of our current bottom 6.

Why?

In 72 games with the Sabres (over 3 seasons), Erod has 27 pts, but 19 this season in just 40 games.  That projects to 38+ pts in a full season, which would have made him a top 6 forward for the Sabres the last 2 seasons. Yet we are projecting him as the 4th line center.  I actually see this as a positive.  I like his speed, good hands and utility.

And Bailey has produced just as much as Josefson Larsson Nolan and Girgensons, is faster and has upside they don’t. There is no reason to suspect he can’t replace any of them.

And given the little shown by Pominville and Pouliot, I suspect he could easily replace either of them too.

He salary alone is enough to put him here over any of our bottom six.

Edited by dudacek

And Bailey has produced just as much as Josefson Larsson Nolan and Girgensons, is faster and has upside they don’t.

There is no reason to suspect he can’t replace any of them.

And given the little shown by Pominville and Pouliot, I suspect he could easily replace either of them too.

He salary alone is enough to put hi. Here over any of our bottom six.

And sometimes you just have to give someone a chance.

Why?

In 72 games with the Sabres (over 3 seasons), Erod has 27 pts, but 19 this season in just 40 games.  That projects to 38+ pts in a full season, which would have made him a top 6 forward for the Sabres the last 2 seasons. Yet we are projecting him as the 4th line center.  I actually see this as a positive.  I like his speed, good hands and utility.

He doesn't pass my eye test.  He's a Derek Plante to me.  Or Jason Dawe.  Succeeding only because we have noone else to put in that spot, but put him on a good team and he's getting scratched.  Are sent down.  I think he's a AAAA player.

Let's not forget that Girgensons looked like he had a promising future when we were forced to showcase him in a prominent role too.

And Bailey has produced just as much as Josefson Larsson Nolan and Girgensons, is faster and has upside they don’t. There is no reason to suspect he can’t replace any of them.

He salary alone is enough to put him here over any of our bottom six.

Make no mistake.  I don't think much of Josefson, Larsson, Nolan, or Girgs anymore.  Lumping him with our bottom 6ers is damning praise. 

I'll say this.  One thing about Josefson or Wilson that you can't say about Bailey is, they haven't needed to be sat because they stopped playing the way they need to in order to stay in the league.  Bailey seems to need to have that message delivered on a regular schedule.

Edited by We've

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.