Hamilton quoting O'Reilly: What's "very likely"?

PASabreFan

I did a bit of a double take when reading Hammy's story that was posted yesterday. But that's what he quotes O'Reilly as saying. Is there a reason I'm not seeing this in other reports or on this board?

Botterill has no allegiance to Ryan O’Reilly as he didn’t trade for him and he didn’t sign him. Teams inquired about O’Reilly leading up to the deadline, and he knows when the offseason rolls around, he could be moved, “It’s very likely, but it’s out of my control. I want to be here, but it is a business and when things don’t work, adjustments are made, but personally, I want to be part of it, I want to be part of the solution.”

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-lehner-says-report-he-asked-trade-false

Edited by PASabreFan

I'm not sure how much that means.  He's had some rough patches, but he's one of the league's best faceoff men.  I think many of the gaffs earlier this year had more to do with learning a new system than fundamental flaws in his game.  And while "everyone not named Eichel" was subject to trade, only Kane was moved by the deadline. 

ROR is a very good player and JBot may well move him, but only if the return justifies it I think.

Edited by Anordning

I'm not sure how much that means.  He's had some rough patches, but he's one of the league's best faceoff men.  I think many of the gaffs earlier this year had more to do with learning a new system than fundamental flaws in his game.  And while "everyone not named Eichel" was subject to trade, only Kane was moved by the deadline. 

ROR is a very good player and JBot may well move him, but only if the return justifies it I think.

Rentals go at the deadline. Hockey trades are made in the offseason.

I think it's ROR not taking his position on the team for granted.

I dunno, man. "It's very likely."

I wish there was more context to that quote. The question asked of ROR wasn't specified. It could have been:

"Do you think other teams will call about you this off season?"

"Do you think JBot will shop you this offseason?"

"Do you think you will be traded this offseason?"

I am shocked, shocked I say, that a reporter with Hamilton's track record of never fudging stories didn't provide more context before trying to slyly drop a bombshell. 

I wish there was more context to that quote. The question asked of ROR wasn't specified. It could have been:

"Do you think other teams will call about you this off season?"

"Do you think JBot will shop you this offseason?"

"Do you think you will be traded this offseason?"

I am shocked, shocked I say, that a reporter with Hamilton's track record of never fudging stories didn't provide more context before trying to slyly drop a bombshell.

Right. I really need more context.

Wait.

WHAT?

(I'm not all capping in dismay -- it's out of WTF THIS IS A BIG DEAL AND UNDER-REPORTED SHOCK.)

I guess we're not on the same wavelength today. O'Reilly thinking he's very likely being traded is pretty big news. I'm guessing that most fans don't think he's going to be traded.

Right. I really need more context.

I tried to find an audio clip on WGR, but no luck. Haven't look on sabres.com. Those videos never play for me anyway.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, here's Vogl's quote:

"I want to be here. I want to be part of the solution here," O'Reilly said. "I want to help turn this thing around. I have a little bit of an opportunity here at the end of the season to do that but it is a business. When things don't work, things change. Adjustments are made. I personally want to be a part of the solution and change things."

vs.

“It’s very likely, but it’s out of my control. I want to be here, but it is a business and when things don’t work, adjustments are made, but personally, I want to be part of it, I want to be part of the solution.”

I'll trust Vogl more. Hammy's quote seems to be off. Maybe way off.

Didn’t Jbot just say that teams asked about ROR at the deadline and he said forget it. Didn’t Jbot also recently say that ROR was part of his vision for the future of this team?

If Jbot plans to strip out the TM core, trading ROR makes sense as far as it goes. However you’d have to find 3 centers behind Jack and while you have candidates in the system like Asplund and Mittelstadt, they aren’t even signed to their ELC’s yet. It’s also not like we are up against the cap and need to save money to sign Reinhart or others. Weird.

Could this be a case where Jbot was given some interesting offers for ROR at the deadline which made him re-think his strategy for ROR in the off-season.

Read it. Hamilton's not the greatest writer, but what's written there is clear enough. O'Reilly expects to be moved.

I read it and took it as a poorly set up quote.

O'Reilly was acknowledging that it was very likely his name had come up in trade talks, not very likely that he would be moved.

The proof (for me) is in the fact that not even Paul was making a big deal out of something that would have been a very big deal.

EDIT: Just watched the video. The question is cut off, but the way Duff sets up the quote is O'Reilly is agreeing it is very likely that more changes are coming and he hopes it's not him.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/sabres-now-22718/t-277437090/c-58250903

(Deep sigh.) Paul needs to be more precise.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I guess we're not on the same wavelength today. O'Reilly thinking he's very likely being traded is pretty big news. I'm guessing that most fans don't think he's going to be traded.

I tried to find an audio clip on WGR, but no luck. Haven't look on sabres.com. Those videos never play for me anyway.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, here's Vogl's quote:

"I want to be here. I want to be part of the solution here," O'Reilly said. "I want to help turn this thing around. I have a little bit of an opportunity here at the end of the season to do that but it is a business. When things don't work, things change. Adjustments are made. I personally want to be a part of the solution and change things."

vs.

“It’s very likely, but it’s out of my control. I want to be here, but it is a business and when things don’t work, adjustments are made, but personally, I want to be part of it, I want to be part of the solution.”

I'll trust Vogl more. Hammy's quote seems to be off. Maybe way off.

Wait, Hamilton edited the quote that much? I mean, I already have a pretty low opinion of Hammy, but that's bush league even for him. You have to wonder if Hammy is someone's hit-man.

I read it and took it as a poorly set up quote.

O'Reilly was acknowledging that it was very likely his name had come up in trade talks, not very likely that he would be moved.

The proof (for me) is in the fact that not even Paul was making a big deal out of something that would have been a very big deal.

EDIT: Just watched the video. The question is cut off, but the way Duff sets up the quote is O'Reilly is agreeing it is very likely that more changes are coming and he hopes it's not him.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/sabres-now-22718/t-277437090/c-58250903

(Deep sigh.) Paul needs to be more precise.

There ya go. Thanks. I'll close this thread.

Welp, Smell reports hearing that Hammy doubled-down on the ROR quote meaning what I thought it meant.

Anyone else hear such doubling-downing?

Did Paul have some side interview? No one else, that I know of, quoted ROR saying it, which is weird.

Welp, Smell reports hearing that Hammy doubled-down on the ROR quote meaning what I thought it meant.

Did Paul have some side interview? No one else, that I know of, quoted ROR saying it, which is weird.

Or is it Paul?

I'm glad you opened this up again. PHam's paraphrasing of what ROR said (based on others reports) is really quite offensive. This, combined with his Jack "quote" about Bylsma and his general postgame smugness and leading questions has me really sick of him.

I'm glad you opened this up again. PHam's paraphrasing of what ROR said (based on others reports) is really quite offensive. This, combined with his Jack "quote" about Bylsma and his general postgame smugness and leading questions has me really sick of him.

I’m completely soured on him, too.

It may seem like nothing, but the guy frequently chastises people on Twitter by replying with “Language” for replies including words as harmless as “hell”, and yesterday used the term for a cat, starting with a “P”, as a jab at someone, on Twitter.

Guy is a massive hypocrite.

Having grown up in WNY and eventually seeing other parts of the country and world, Buffalo is known for two things; chicken wings and four lost Super Bowls.  No mention of its sports writers.  I don't claim to know what JB plans this summer but common sense would suggest ROR stays.  He is a skilled player and very good at FOs.  Just as important, he seems to actually care his role on the team.  No doubt he will have an opportunity to mentor some up and comers next year not to mention he may be a positive influence on Jack so he doesn't have an early season slump to start that huge new contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.