Jbot Do Something Already 3 - deadline edition

GASabresIUFAN

But it’s not set in stone. A guy like Boqvist for example could end up better than, say, Tkachuk. Who knows. There’s nothing actually concrete saying with certainty there’s a top 4 destined to have better careers than everyone else in the draft.

You are absolutely right. I guess I'm just being impatient and want the guy who plays in the NHL next season rather than the guy who is 1 or 2 years away.

If Boqvist becomes a Karlsson clone then It's all worthwhile though I do believe someone once said "waiting is the hardest part"

That's an interesting question. Would you prefer the Sabres take Boqvist, knowing he will be Karlssonesque and becomes a Norris candidate but will take 2 years till he contributes. Or, do you prefer they take one of Zadina, Tkachuk, Svechnikov who contribute next year but only reach all-star level?

Would you prefer the Sabres take Boqvist, knowing he will be Karlssonesque and becomes a Norris candidate but will take 2 years till he contributes. Or, do you prefer they take one of Zadina, Tkachuk, Svechnikov who contribute next year but only reach all-star level?

Yes.

But seriously, probably Boqvist, in that example. I don’t expect a big contribution from an 18/19 year old first season either way. But more importantly, I think we’d benefit much more from any potential all-star being added to the back end, than another potential all star being added to the front end.

Eichel is an all-star. O’Reilly was an all-star. Mittelstadt could be one day, maybe. Lord knows Nylander has the skill set if he ever puts it all together. Hell, even Reinhart has that ceiling.

We don’t have anyone on D currently or in the system that’s all-star quality. I don’t see Risto getting there. We NEED that smooth, puck moving star, PP quarterback, and I’d much rather have that potential player in the system than another forward.

We need much more talent at forward and D, but we need D more I think, and either way, scoring forwards are easier to acquire than top notch D.

Edited by Thorny

Here is a question.  Which Sabres do you want back next season?  Which Sabres have to be back because of injury or no trade value?  Which Sabres won't other be traded.  The list is relatively small

Who do I want back?

1) Jack

2) Risto

3) Scandella

4) Wilson - cheap RFA who has excelled with more PT

Who is injuried or has no trade value

4) McCabe

5) Bogo

6) Pominville

Who will certainly be back anyway

7) ROR

8) KO

9) Sam 

10) Nelson - I don't care if he isn't retained, but he is a cheap RFA who has played his way toward staying.

Everyone else put on the trading block and see what you are offered. Besides Kane, who has real value, the rest (Lehner, Johnson, Larsson, Baloo, ERod, Girgensons, Falk, Josefson, Nolan, Pouliot, Antipin, and Gorges) are a bunch of JAGs and easily replaced.  The only issue with dumping these guys is fielding a team for the rest of the season because stripping Roch isn't an option.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Guess out of those Jags Id keep Antipin, Falk as a 7 or 8th D. And Larrson, Girgenson and Joefson as 4th line guys in the above order... if you need to field a team. Hoping that Ghule steps up with Smith, Ollofson, Middlestadt and God willing Dhalin . Does that make a team?

Spotrac is not rock-solid reliable, but they have Casey as RFA:  http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/casey-nelson-18863/

Trading him if he's UFA is an interesting idea.

Yeah, you’ll find him listed differently at different sites, which is why I checked the CBA thing I linked.

If that is the correct account of the CBA, he should be UFA.

Maybe Taro could clarify. I haven’t seen anything from the team or the Buffalo media that addresses this question.

Well, Mick's and Sabel's CBA analysis is good enough for me!

I wonder whether Harrington, Vogl, Hamilton or Hoppe has figured this out yet.

I read on Twitter he was UFA from either Harrington or Vogl, I believe, so it’s somewhat out there.

I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: Maybe not. I’m nearly certain I read it on Verified Sabres Twitter recently, but I can’t find the tweet and in any event, it’s definitely not being mentioned much at all.

Wonder what the chances are we sign him.

Edited by Thorny

When I first looked up Nelson on capfriendly they had him listed as an RFA, but they also have switched him to a UFA. The kid is thriving in Wowie’s system. I suspect he’ll be re-signed. The only difference is he has more leverage in the negotiations as a UFA. I doubt he’ll have 30 other teams banging on his door to sign him.

I kind of surprised that Jbot hasn’t made sort of deal by now. Even an acquisition. Major deals are coming now and if he waits until Momday afternoon, prices start falling as teams and cap space go away. My guess is with Grabner and Brassard deals done and a value of a guy like Kane basically established, Jbot would be wise to get something done with him sometime on Sunday.

If Kane isn't being offered for something significant for the future Sabres then why deal him - just because fans are scared of every possible negative thing?  What if he gets injured and we get nothing?  Then who cares - if we weren't getting something strong in return.  It's best to wait until a team gets emotional about the playoffs.  

Why in the hell would you want the "worst team or might soon be" to finish strong?  That's just not smart.  Sell sell sell and lets give ourselves every single percentage to make our team better down the line.  We don't have to admit to being in full blown rebuild mode for it to be true.  

Relax!

Don’t just slam doors do something. Send someone packing. Waive a crappy vet. Do something!

Earlier in the year he demoted Moulson and acquired Wilson and the team was better for it. The deadline is still a few weeks away, but something needs to be done now. While appeasing the fan base isn’t a reason to do something, sending a message to the lockeroom is.

First step: trade Lehner or Kane now.

2nd step: waive now Nolan, Josefson and or Gorges.

The team has been a bunch of no-shows since October and you want Botteril to "send a message" now?!  Where were you in October, November, December, or January?

And that message involves waiving Jordan Nolan or Gorges, two of the few hard workers on the team? 

Come on man.

The problem is Botterill has to work within a structure of how things are done in the NHL.  He can't just do it all whenever.

On Monday we will see round 1 of many changes to come with the trade deadline.

The team will work very different on opening nigh next year. 

The team has been a bunch of no-shows since October and you want Botteril to "send a message" now?!  Where were you in October, November, December, or January?

And that message involves waiving Jordan Nolan or Gorges, two of the few hard workers on the team? 

Come on man.

The problem is Botterill has to work within a structure of how things are done in the NHL.  He can't just do it all whenever.

On Monday we will see round 1 of many changes to come with the trade deadline.

The team will work very different on opening nigh next year. 

Actually this is the 3rd "Do Something Already" Thread.  I have been asking him to fix this team since I realized even before the season started that our bottom 2 lines were crap.  Duda and I had a long discussion about how the crappy bottom two lines could sink the season.

Here is a question.  Which Sabres do you want back next season?  Which Sabres have to be back because of injury or no trade value?  Which Sabres won't other be traded.  The list is relatively small

Who do I want back?

1) Jack

2) Risto

3) Scandella

4) Wilson - cheap RFA who has excelled with more PT

Who is injuried or has no trade value

4) McCabe

5) Bogo

6) Pominville

Who will certainly be back anyway

7) ROR

8) KO

9) Sam 

10) Nelson - I don't care if he isn't retained, but he is a cheap RFA who has played his way toward staying.

Everyone else put on the trading block and see what you are offered. Besides Kane, who has real value, the rest (Lehner, Johnson, Larsson, Baloo, ERod, Girgensons, Falk, Josefson, Nolan, Pouliot, Antipin, and Gorges) are a bunch of JAGs and easily replaced.  The only issue with dumping these guys is fielding a team for the rest of the season because stripping Roch isn't an option.

Has Samson moved from the "who will be back" to the "I want him back" list Considering his last 20 games or so?

Has Samson moved from the "who will be back" to the "I want him back" list Considering his last 20 games or so?

Hes someplace in the middle.  Below average players often have 15-20 game stretches where they get hot, but they can't sustain that pace. I think the only way to evaluate Reinhart is to look at his entire season, and entire career.  

Do you want a former high draft pick who, over the first few years of his career, looks to be a 20 goal, 25 assist guy who has below average speed but might still grow into a bigger role?  He just seems to be exactly who he is over his career....better than how productive he was over the first half of the season..probably not as productive as he's been over the last 20 games.

Not for me yet, but yes the needle is moving.  I really like his new attitude with the puck on his stick.  I still worry that he might not show that leadership if playing with Jack next season, but I love the potential it shows.

I also do think the bridge deal is looking like at least $4 mill per year for 3 years.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN