Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

I don't hold many strong opinions on projecting QBs into the NFL -- because, of course, I don't know much about it.

One thing I do firmly believe: Once a QB prospect is ~20+ years old, his accuracy can be tweaked or improved marginally, but not substantially or meaningfully. Which is why I want no part of Allen.

Agreed. I don't worry too much about certain aspects of playing QB, like throwing motion. As long as the release is quick over the top, I can put up with a bit of a windup and the bottom of the motion. 

But accuracy? That's something you're born with. Can a QB coach refine mechanics and footwork to help create some consistency? Sure, but that may adjust your completion percentage by 2 or 3% max. 

To point the first: ROLL DAMN TIDE!

To point the second: Hey - that's a potshot. Our reporter on the scene says he was gleaning matters intangible from young Sam Darnold -- not the extent to which he dominated play in HS.

On the offense, I sure hope not. Alabama's offense had been pretty spectacularly vanilla for years.

As to the pot shot, I really don't think it was. Being all-in on a player because of intangibles you "saw" in high school is quite the weak take.

How in the hell is 4 year starter bowl game and Heisman winning flip the bird then beat your team and steal your girl Baker Mayfield not in the right mental state for an extremely violent and pressure filled game

but

Sophomore Darnold who failed expectations and hosts a podcast to talk about his feelings, is

....how

How in the hell is 4 year starter bowl game and Heisman winning flip the bird then beat your team and steal your girl Baker Mayfield not in the right mental state for an extremely violent and pressure filled game

but

Sophomore Darnold who failed expectations and hosts a podcast to talk about his feelings, is

....how

Pi.

On the offense, I sure hope not. Alabama's offense had been pretty spectacularly vanilla for years.

I was just pointing out that they were both Bama fellers.

but

....how

Tasty.

And continuing to accept a team (and QB) with the limitations of last year's squad (and QB) would have been more irresponsible still.

So taking a step backward is the solution?  Look, I would have been fine with drafting a rookie to play under Taylor, and I would have been very happy to see a better vet instead of Taylor in the same scenario.  Either way, the Bills are drafting a new QB.  But McCarron is a step in the wrong direction.  

Edited by Eleven

So taking a step backward is the solution?  Look, I would have been fine with drafting a rookie to play under Taylor, and I would have been very happy to see a better vet instead of Taylor in the same scenario.  Either way, the Bills are drafting a new QB.  But McCarron is a step in the wrong direction.  

Well, I reckon we will just disagree that it was any great loss to swap Taylor for the 65th pick overall. That could prove to have been a hugely important piece of the QB of the future puzzle,

I think McBeane concluded -- and I think probably rightly (or at least defensibly so) -- that they can get the net production that Taylor provided out of McCarron/Rookie QB. WGR Sal said precisely this on the radio this morning, and I tend to agree.

Taylor was uniquely capable of the spectacular, and maddeningly incapable of the routine. I think that, next season, the team can wring the same net production out of different talents is all. In a more mundane fashion, perhaps.

Plus, there's a net cap savings in this scenario.

It all just strikes me as good asset and risk management.

So who have we signed so far?

Ivory to be the backup/3rd string RB

Ivory will make more money than half of the starting RBs in the league in 2018 (source).  That's a lot for a third stringer.  Granted, a lot of great RBs are on their rookie contracts.

This is such a stupid and tiresome theme that you continue to bang on in a distressingly high percentage of your posts. 

TT is a religious guy -- did they keep him?

Agreed.  It's getting very annoying.

Yes.

Leaving this up to McCarron and a rookie--coming out of a playoff year--was irresponsible.

They went from a 6th round QB who was a backup for 4 years to a 5th round QB who was a backup for 3 years.

Not sure my point is relevant, because I think the plan is to go all in on a QB in the draft.

Well, I reckon we will just disagree that it was any great loss to swap Taylor for the 65th pick overall. That could prove to have been a hugely important piece of the QB of the future puzzle,

I think McBeane concluded -- and I think probably rightly (or at least defensibly so) -- that they can get the net production that Taylor provided out of McCarron/Rookie QB. WGR Sal said precisely this on the radio this morning, and I tend to agree.

Taylor was uniquely capable of the spectacular, and maddeningly incapable of the routine. I think that, next season, the team can wring the same net production out of different talents is all. In a more mundane fashion, perhaps.

Plus, there's a net cap savings in this scenario.

It all just strikes me as good asset and risk management.

Improving upon the 31st ranked passing offense will not be too difficult. Also keep in mind that the rookie QB will be expected to be the opening day starter if he is Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. So in these instances, we are really comparing 2018 McCarron vs 2017 Peterman for the #2 QB spot and 2018 (insert franchise QB name) vs. 2017 Taylor for the starting QB spot. Everywhere outside this particular message board, people would say that the latter QB1/QB2 duo is a substantial improvement.

Since I have nfc about any of these guys... I just want McBean to choose right... Mayfield’s attitude doesnt bother me, JK was much the same... Does he have the ability... game against Alabama says yes.. If not and Darnold is unavalable... Rudolf sounds about right.

Per Rodak

Star Lotulelei's five-year deal with Buffalo is worth $50 million with $25 million guaranteed. He gets a $13M signing bonus. He gets base salaries of $3.5M (fully guaranteed) in 2018, $7.15M (all guaranteed for injury, $2M fully guaranteed at signing,... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

If they're dumb enough to trade Taylor without a plan to the point where AJ freaking McCarron is the vet coming into camp, they're dumb enough to draft Allen.

Here's to 17 more, folks.

Really. He's as good as Bridgewater? As Bradford?

Is it really that difficult to replicate Taylor's production? While he was easy to root for, he struggled to pass for 200 yards a game. Try to aim higher, and you don't need to pay 17M per to do so.

Is it really that difficult to replicate Taylor's production? While he was easy to root for, he struggled to pass for 200 yards a game. Try to aim higher, and you don't need to pay 17M per to do so.

McCarron can aim higher, lower, sideways, whatever, anything but on the numbers.

Doesn't matter how humble he is or what discipline is there... Dude can't hit the side of a barn

With the right mindset he can improve.

but

....how

How has Darnold failed expectations?

Trust me on Mayfield, he's going to get eaten alive in the NFL.

To point the first: ROLL DAMN TIDE!

To point the second: Hey - that's a potshot. Our reporter on the scene says he was gleaning matters intangible from young Sam Darnold -- not the extent to which he dominated play in HS.

I've seen a lot of top QB prospects play high school ball out here (CIF South). Darnold is head and shoulders above all of them. He's got that "it" factor.

Improving upon the 31st ranked passing offense will not be too difficult. Also keep in mind that the rookie QB will be expected to be the opening day starter if he is Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield. So in these instances, we are really comparing 2018 McCarron vs 2017 Peterman for the #2 QB spot and 2018 (insert franchise QB name) vs. 2017 Taylor for the starting QB spot. Everywhere outside this particular message board, people would say that the latter QB1/QB2 duo is a substantial improvement.

I think this is probably the truth and for less cap $ for the 1-2 combo. I understand that management still likes Peterman. It’s only left to find out what moves they make to secure the 1st rd QB. I won’t say Franchise QB because I’m not sure that moniker belongs to any of these guys. This could all go very badly for us considering how many teams are looking for a QB. At least Rudolph is a reasonable fall back option. I really don’t want Jackson.

I never said he has the right mindset, perhaps he doesn't.

Oh wait, just went back and saw that's why you would need to sit down with him. I mis-remembered the post.

Either way, even if he has the right mindset, it won't allow him to place the ball any better than he does now which is sub par. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.