Off Season Game Plan

Crusader1969

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22775015/nhl-buffalo-sabres-2017-18-season-snapshot-offseason-preview

There is one great suggestion here. They suggest getting Housley an older experienced former head coach to serve as Phil top asst. I love it. I think Phil needs some added authority. The author is right that certain player tuned him out without consequnces.

Of the 38 players who played games for the Sabres this season, I'm okay with the following 16 active on opening night next season:

G (1): Ullmark

D (5): Risto, Scandella, Guhle, McCabe, Nelson

F (10): Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Girgensons, Rodrigues, Bailey, Baptiste

These leftover 22 should either not be re-signed, bought out, traded, kept inactive except for injuries, or kept in Rochester: Lehner, Johnson, Beaulieu, Bogosian, Gorges, Antipin, Falk, Fedun, Redmond, Tennyson, Kane, Moulson, Nolan, Pouliot, Larsson, O'Regan, Griffith, Josefson, Criscuolo, Wilson, Fasching, Pominville

I'm very curious to see where others stand on these 38 guys, so please try to respond if you're reading this.

What my simple analysis shows me is that we have 4 glaring roster holes:

1. a starting goalie

2. a true #1 defenseman

3. a top 6 sniper forward type

4. a top 6 power forward type

No idea how we can address all 4 issues in one off-season. The first two are never that easy to find. Hey...so how about that John Tavares guy in Long Island???

Kane, Moulson are already gone.

Redmond, crisco, Tennyson, Griffith, Fasching, Falk and fedun are ahl players. They only come for injury.

Gorges is gone after today. Pouliot, Johnson, Josefson, and Nolan should go too.

Baptiste has a spot on my 4th line. Bailey Idk. Wilson can be a 4th liner.

Lehner, Beauliueu, Larsson, and Bogo should be traded.

I'd trade zemgus and Ristolainen too.

I don't believe in power forward versus sniper. We need two top 6 lw.

Edited by Skurk Liger

Kane, Moulson are already gone.

Redmond, crisco, Tennyson, Griffith, Fasching, Falk and fedun are ahl players. They only come for injury.

Gorges is gone after today. Pouliot, Johnson, Josefson, and Nolan should go too.

Baptiste has a spot on my 4th line. Bailey Idk. Wilson can be a 4th liner.

Lehner, Beauliueu, Larsson, and Bogo should be traded.

I'd trade zemgus and Ristolainen too.

I don't believe in power forward versus sniper. We need two top 6 lw.

Aye. 

A Matt-Cullen-2-years-ago type fourth line center would work really nicely with those two. Not sure if that's available. 

Of the 38 players who played games for the Sabres this season, I'm okay with the following 16 active on opening night next season:

G (1): Ullmark

D (5): Risto, Scandella, Guhle, McCabe, Nelson

F (10): Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Girgensons, Rodrigues, Bailey, Baptiste

These leftover 22 should either not be re-signed, bought out, traded, kept inactive except for injuries, or kept in Rochester: Lehner, Johnson, Beaulieu, Bogosian, Gorges, Antipin, Falk, Fedun, Redmond, Tennyson, Kane, Moulson, Nolan, Pouliot, Larsson, O'Regan, Griffith, Josefson, Criscuolo, Wilson, Fasching, Pominville

I'm very curious to see where others stand on these 38 guys, so please try to respond if you're reading this.

What my simple analysis shows me is that we have 4 glaring roster holes:

1. a starting goalie

2. a true #1 defenseman

3. a top 6 sniper forward type

4. a top 6 power forward type

No idea how we can address all 4 issues in one off-season. The first two are never that easy to find. Hey...so how about that John Tavares guy in Long Island???

Any tweaking I would do would be semantics.

And I suspect Botterill’s take will be similar, although I bet Wilson and Bogosian are viable pieces to him, and he would like to move out at least one or two more guys who have been here three or more years for culture change sake.

But everybody you kept has NHL level speed and/or skill and that’s where we are headed.

Edited by dudacek

Every year there seems to be a guy or two who wasn’t bring utilized properly by his current team that suddenly breakout a d becones a star. William Karlsson this year, but Grabner, Marchessault and even Briere in years past.

I wouldn’t mind Jbot taking a shot or two at youngish speed guys who because they are blocked on their current team from bring in the top 6 or play in the wrong system. One guy who comes to mind is RFA Tobias Rieder. LA traded for the speedster from Az, but he doesn’t look like a fit there. LA traded a goalie to get him, I wonder what they’d want for him now? Rieder can flat out fly. Can you imagine him on Jack’s wing?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Here's what I have so far with fowards

??? - Eichel - Okposo

Nylander? - ROR - Reinhart

ERod - Middelstadt - Pommers

??? - Girgensons - Baptiste

I liked the two middle lines these past couple games and Pommers would be training wheels for Casey where as ROR and Reinhart would be the same for Nylander. I would guess Okposo will do better after a full off season without any life threatening injuries to deal with but we are in dire need of a fleet of foot, legit, LWer for Eichel who isn't dependent on him. I'd like in the following year for Okposo to take Pommers spot on the 3rd line.

I'm ridding us of Larsson and Nolan, Josefson wasn't bad but was too injury prone. 

Defensively I'm rather at a loss still, I can't even fathom the pairings. 

Scandella - Risto

Guhle - Nelson

??? - ???

First I'm buying out Bogo, dumping Baloo on a curb, and maybe trading Antipin's rights to Winnipeg if he's soured on Buffalo. McCabe is the sticky one as he is so confusing. Trade him or 3rd pairing?

I'd bring Falk back as a 7th D if he's cheap but not as a bottom pair guy.

Gorges please retire and ship Tennyson to the sun

Goalies........

Ullmark!! Ullmark!! Ullmark!!

Try to trade Lehner's rights and try to forget Lehner and Johnson's horrible 2nd Season. Let us just remember their rather good first run of it two years ago.

Here's what I have so far with fowards

??? - Eichel - Okposo

Nylander? - ROR - Reinhart

ERod - Middelstadt - Pommers

??? - Girgensons - Baptiste

I am so disappointed with this roster and our prospect list that none of these lines move the needle for me at all.  Each line has one or two guys minimum that I don't need to see on the ice next season.

I am so disappointed with this roster and our prospect list that none of these lines move the needle for me at all.  Each line has one or two guys minimum that I don't need to see on the ice next season.

Well I'm not literally just going to dump half the roster for scraps. I would like to be good next year not wait another five......

My stab at 2019:

???

EICHEL

OKPOSO

NYLANDER?

O’REILLY

REINHART

RODRIGUEZ

MITTLESTADT

BAPTISTE

WILSON

GIRGENSONS

POMINVILLE

???

RISTO

SCANDELLA

GUHLE

MCCABE

NELSON

ULLMARK

WILCOX

This involves dumping Larsson and Beaulieu for loose change, letting Tennyson, Gorges, Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, Johnson and Lehner walk, and holing Bogo up in a wall somewhere until his contract expires. Antipin I'm completely lost on. I didn't hate him, but he was a disappointment and really needed a year in Rochester. If the right trade were to come along for him, I wouldn't shed any tears. However, if Nelson goes, then he becomes more valuable

The ???'s can be filled either by draft or FA, depending on how things shake out. I only keep Pominville because his lousy contract will thankfully expire in 2020, and I think he can do a minimal amount of damage as long as he's kept on the plug line, and might even contribute his share of points down there. Okposo we're stuck with for at least another year. He and Jack work well together, so keep them on the same line and try to find a speedy LW (Again, draft or FA). (Or maybe Nylander can fill that role).

Wilcox is purely a placeholder for any other GK the Sabres acquire. I think Ullmark can be the guy but he'll need to be phased in and not overworked.

I'm still not thrilled with this roster, so let's trade Girgensons for a decent prospect.

???

EICHEL

OKPOSO

NYLANDER?

O’REILLY

REINHART

SMITH

MITTLESTADT

BAPTISTE

WILSON

RODRIGUEZ

POMINVILLE

???

RISTO

SCANDELLA

GUHLE

MCCABE

NELSON

ULLMARK

WILCOX

OK, better. Smith would probably be guaranteed a spot if it hadn't been for that injury. With ERod down there, the 4th line isn't just for plugs anymore. If Pominville gets waived/traded, they can put a decent puck hog who can keep up with the other two down there. Maybe a Bailey or O'Regan.

Now let's get really creative and trade O'Reilly. A franchise roster player, a 2019 1st, and a solid prospect in exchange for ROR and the Sharks' pick. Just to be silly, we'll pretend that Sergachev has had enough of the Florida sun and wants to return to his true destiny of being a Sabre (please don't call me out for this, it's just a fantasy example).

SVECHNIKOV

EICHEL

OKPOSO

NYLANDER

MITTLESTADT

REINHART

SMITH

RODRIGUEZ

BAPTISTE

WILSON

O’REGAN

POMINVILLE

SERGACHEV

RISTO

SCANDELLA

GUHLE

MCCABE

NELSON

ULLMARK

WILCOX

On paper, this looks MUCH better, even without the highly improbable trade scenario. Since the D would be taken care of, I'd feel more comfortable projecting the 2018 draft pick (in this case Svechnikov) onto the roster. It's still not perfect, but it's younger, fresher, and faster. I debated switching Okposo and Reinhart but left it alone for the time being. A possible Reinhart trade also would open up some interesting scenarios.

Regardless, a top flight winger and D man are bare minimum for turning this ship around. Whether both happen this offseason remains to be seen.

Edited by Ho-Chi-Sock

Well I'm not literally just going to dump half the roster for scraps. I would like to be good next year not wait another five......

You’re still waiting with that lineup. And they’re all fairly replaceable so its not like performance changes with different JAGs subbed in.

I am so disappointed with this roster and our prospect list that none of these lines move the needle for me at all. Each line has one or two guys minimum that I don't need to see on the ice next season.

Man, at least give ??? a chance before tossing him. He looked good in juniors this year.

Separately, if Eichel plays with Okposo next year I will rip every strand of hair off of my head.

You’re still waiting with that lineup. And they’re all fairly replaceable so its not like performance changes with different JAGs subbed in.

This is one of the reasons I keep pointing to 2019/20 as the real turnaround of this team. For example lets say that Asplund and Olofsson adjust quickly to the NA game and thrive in the AHL next season. Now add them to a base of Nylander, Mittelstadt, Sam, Jack, ROR, and a healthy KO. That us the makings of a very strong and talented top 9.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/06/inside-the-sabres-saying-goodbye-to-underachievers-wont-be-easy/

Vogl today says it won’t be easy to remake this roster. Other then on D, where we are definitely short two top 4, the forward group is already on it’s way to being remade.

Moulson, Kane, josefson, Griffith, and Pouliot were on the opening roster. All are now gone or will be. Griffith is still w the organization, but other than an emergency callup, he isn’t in Jbot’s plan. Their roster spot really now belong to Baptiste, Mittelstadt, Erod and probably Nylander and Wilson. This is a huge internal step forward.

There are also three players from opening night that have one year left and could be easily traded or bought out if Jbot doesn’t want them here is Larsson, Girgensons, and Pommers. Also before people hammer Pommers to bad, he had 16g, 34pts and played 82 games. Not worth 5.6 mill, but better value then we received from Bogo or Moulson. I wouldn’t be surprised if he returned next year to play out his contract. The other two are utility players on cheap contracts and can be traded. We won’t get huge value for them, but maybe Jbot can work a hockey trade to swap guys in need of a change of scenary.

The biggest issue for this team heading into next year is what to do with Bogo and how to fill two top 4 D jobs. The simple answer is get lucky and draft Dahlin andthen get DeHaan to sign here, but both of these sre easier said then done. Odds are Jbot is going have to find another way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.