Off Season Game Plan

Crusader1969

Part 3

Goaltending

It's becoming clear that Lehner is no longer part of the future here.  I was for giving him an offer this off-season and letting him share the net with Ullmark next season, but that seems like a huge waste at this point. 

It's better to start fresh.  Trade Lehner at the deadline for the best offer of a draft pick and goalie.  Let that goalie split with Johnson for the rest of the season and then start fresh next fall.  Ullmark has proven that he can play in the NHL and looks ready to be a starter after his work in Rochester this season.  In the off-season find a former starter that is looking for some PT to backup (and be insurance for Ullmark)

So the gameplan

1) Trade Lehner at the deadline. If there is no market, then give him a qualifying offer and then trade him in the summer.  

2) Let Johnson walk at season's end

3) Sign a UFA to split/backup Ullmark.  Lehtonen, Ward, Halak, Bernier, Khudobin. Hutchinson and Hutton are all UFAs. My preference is Khudobin or Halak, but I don't have a big preference. 

Signed: Ullmark 1 yr 750K 

RFA; Lehner (qualifying offer $4 mill), Kasdorf

UFA: Johnson, Wilcox

One interesting side note on goaltending is will we draft one this draft after grabbing the Fin last season.  Also will be sign Pekke and get him here to learn the NA game.  Johansson has done better is the ECHL then I thought and looks primed to take over for Ullmark in Roch.  Wilcox seems to have done a decent job at the AHL backup, but I doubt Kasdorf returns.  That leaves an opening for a starter in the ECHL.

• 2 weeks later...

Off-season gameplan.

1) Step one: Get good value for Kane and try to improve the team at the deadline: Fail!

Now that we have traded Kane away for a box of Tim Horton Glazed Donuts, a bag of pucks and Danny Boy, a buddy of Jack's (any question who's team this is now?), it's time to get serious about the future (such that it is).

2) 19 game try out.  Jbot said Baptiste and Nelson will be brought back from Roch.  I'm going to assume that means for the rest of the season. Apparently they were sent down to qualify for the Calder Cup playoffs (Funny, but didn't we just discuss that clear day rosters were a thing of the past)   He also said Danny Boy will report to Rochester.  Obviously Wilson, ERod, Nelson, Nick and others are being given a 19 game tryout to prove they are part of the solution for next year.  It also makes me wonder why Danny Boy isn't being given the same opportunity.  Lehner may also be on a display to hopefully create some off-season trade buzz.  Whether he returns next season is going to be a great debate this summer

3) Jbot said the organization is going to make changes.  I also that means roster and management.  

a) Here was the 2017-18 opening day roster (I've list the contract status for this off-season if an RFA or UFA)

Forwards:  Kane,  Eichel, Okposo, ROR, Reinhart (RFA), Girgensons, Larsson, Josefson (UFA), Moulson, Pominville, Nolan (UFA), Pouliot (UFA), and Griffith plus ERod (on IR to start)

Defense: Scandella, Ristolainen, Bogosian (now on IR), McCabe (now on IR), Tennyson, Antipin (RFA), Beaulieu, Gorges (UFA) plus Falk (UFA) - IR  to Start year.

Goalies: Lehner (RFA) Johnson (UFA)

That's 25 players with 4 already gone.  I don't expect any of the UFAs to return (that another 6 players gone).  But that is now enough to fix this roster.  We need Guhle and Ullmark to step into next year's lineup, but I don't know if any other reinforcements will be coming from Roch or the organization.  Trade and cheap UFA seem to be the JBot off-season approach. ROR has said ROR is a core piece.  KO is untradeable.  That leaves only Reinhart as a top asset that could bring back top talent.  Still 50% of that opening day roster will be gone by next fall.  

b) coaches and management shakeup.  I expect Wowie to have a couple of new coaches.  Housley will be back, but Jbot force a change or two to the staff?  Also, I expect more changes in the scouting department.  After Mittelstadt's pick, I wasn't impressed with the rest of the draft last year.  

4) Draft prep.  He has to get this pick right given the lack of return for Kane.  We are almost certainly going to get a top 5 pick.  The top 4 players maybe be NHL ready next season, but even if not, Jbot must come away with a top 6 forward or a top 2 D.  

5) Winning back the fans.  Talk about organization problem.  Ratings are down, seats are empty.  Cheaper tickets would be a nice start.  Not likely to happen but.......

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just read a THN article on the Sabres. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-which-rebuilding-team-will-return-to-glory-fastest

They have me comvinced that Mittelstadt will be in Buffalo next fall and that Jbot wants him in the middle. Now your talking.

A spine of Jack, ROR and Mittelstadt is something to look forward to.

Roster in pencil

Girgensons Jack Ko

Olofsson ROR Sam

O’Regan Mittelstadt ERod

Wilson Larsson Baptiste

Scandella Ristolainen

Guhle McCabe

Antipin Nelson

Baloo Bogo

Just read a THN article on the Sabres. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-which-rebuilding-team-will-return-to-glory-fastest

They have me comvinced that Mittelstadt will be in Buffalo next fall and that Jbot wants him in the middle. Now your talking.

Roster in pencil

Girgensons Jack Ko

Olofsson ROR Sam

O’Regan Mittelstadt ERod

Wilson Larsson Baptiste

Scandella Ristolainen

Guhle McCabe

Antipin Nelson

Baloo Bogo

That lineup would look a lot better with Dahlin/Svechnikov/zadina/Tkachuk. Added. Plus a Nylander living up to expectations. Not to mention Bailey.

I would guess CJ Smith will be ahead of Olofsson as Victor may need time to adjust to the NHL rinks

Roster in pencil

Girgensons Jack Ko

Olofsson ROR Sam

O’Regan Mittelstadt ERod

Wilson Larsson Baptiste

Scandella Ristolainen

Guhle McCabe

Antipin Nelson

Baloo Bogo

What an utterly dreary lineup that is.  Even with Mittelstadt adding some speed and excitement, that looks like basically the same underachieving team as this year. 

Here's hoping JB makes a big hockey trade.  Or two.  And if not a flashy trade, at least move out guys like Girgensons and Larsson who have seemingly been in Buffalo forever, and adding nothing.

The Sabres should also be in on college free agents in a big way, both because JB likes college players and because we're a pretty good fit for these guys (i.e. they can play in the NHL right away with significant minutes and we have other young players we're building around).  

What an utterly dreary lineup that is.  Even with Mittelstadt adding some speed and excitement, that looks like basically the same underachieving team as this year. 

Agreed.  That line up is basically a shuffling of the deck.  I need to see some serious roster turnover that doesn't include a bunch of middling prospects who haven't shown anything yet.

Good article by John Vogl implicating the players as not listening to their coach as the crux of the problem.  I don't need to see this roster re-shuffled.  I need to see it replaced.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/02/inside-the-sabres-it-comes-down-to-a-matter-of-respect/

Coach Phil Housley has a great knack for forecasting exactly what the opponent will do, and he explains it clearly in the morning. When the puck drops, the opponent follows the blueprint and the Sabres stand there and get run over.

Good article by John Vogl implicating the players as not listening to their coach as the crux of the problem.  I don't need to see this roster re-shuffled.  I need to see it replaced.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/02/inside-the-sabres-it-comes-down-to-a-matter-of-respect/

It was a good piece. And it begs the question, who are the worst offenders?

The Sabres only have a handful of players “worthy” of entitled attitudes. And over the past couple months they've been the best players.

Harrington also had an interesting take on Kane.

Credit where credit is due.

It was a good piece. And it begs the question, who are the worst offenders?

The Sabres only have a handful of players “worthy” of entitled attitudes. And over the past couple months they've been the best players.

Harrington also had an interesting take on Kane.

Credit where credit is due.

None of them are worthy of being entitled.  Noone on this team has won a damned thing to be able to say they know better. 

The thing I think is most interesting in the article is how well prepared and knowledgeable is about the Sabres' opponents.  You'd think a room full of professional athletes would start to listen if the coach is telling them the right things time and again and he is proven right time and again.

Is the problem entitled youth? Vets on fat pay checks without drive?  My guess is it is the vets.  An analogy for the Untouchables, you need to go to the farm and get the kids before they are corrupted.  Again Colorado eliminated anyone over 30 in their locker room last off season.  We should at least do the same.

We may not love the lineup I suggested earlier, but it was done with internal talent and eliminating anyone over 30 (including Pommers) and anyone I thought was an issue (it's way Bogo is on the pine). Frankly, I'd send Bogo to the minors and eat his contract or send him to LTIR if he isn't healthy.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

With Risto, Nelson, Scandella, McCabe, Guhle, a HEALTHY Bogo (wishfull thinking), Antipin, and Beauleau....I think this D-core won't be a liability anymore.  Great? nope, but I think you can get by with them and be a good team with that group providing you have quality up front.

Of course, It would be great to have an top-notch D-core, and on paper I thought those guys could be one...but after watching many of them for a few year....slightly above average is probably their ceiling, and I'm not too upset with that.  Just get Risto's minute down, have 2 of the 3 of McCabe, Scandella, or Bogo be fully healthy, and they'll be OK.

None of them are worthy of being entitled. Noone on this team has won a damned thing to be able to say they know better.

No one is ever worthy of entitlement, thus the quotes.

But Sam, Jack and Risto in particular come from a background of being the golden boys for their particular national team programs. Which has to breed a certain amount of arrogance.

Edited by dudacek

The thing I think is most interesting in the article is how well prepared and knowledgeable is about the Sabres' opponents.  You'd think a room full of professional athletes would start to listen if the coach is telling them the right things time and again and he is proven right time and again.

Is the problem entitled youth? Vets on fat pay checks without drive?  My guess is it is the vets.  An analogy for the Untouchables, you need to go to the farm and get the kids before they are corrupted.  Again Colorado eliminated anyone over 30 in their locker room last off season.  We should at least do the same.

We may not love the lineup I suggested earlier, but it was done with internal talent and eliminating anyone over 30 (including Pommers) and anyone I thought was an issue (it's way Bogo is on the pine). Frankly, I'd send Bogo to the minors and eat his contract or send him to LTIR if he isn't healthy.

Who are the vets without drive?  There are plenty with degrading ability.  But I'm not seeing vets that don't have drive.  As the Vogl article mentions, the biggest challenge has been getting the kids to respect and listen when the vets have a diminished abilities.  The kids aren't all right.

No one is ever worthy of entitlement, thus the quotes.

But Sam, Jack and Risto in particular come from a background of being the golden boys for their particular national team programs.

Then I mistook your post.  Re-reading with new context, yeah, those are the likely targets.

Who are the vets without drive?  There are plenty with degrading ability.  But I'm not seeing vets that don't have drive.  As the Vogl article mentions, the biggest challenge has been getting the kids to respect and listen when the vets have a diminished abilities.  The kids aren't all right.

Then I mistook your post.  Re-reading with new context, yeah, those are the likely targets.

However, we saw Jack takeoff after he and Housley had their chat.  Risto and Sam have seemed to buy in after X-Mas.  Certainly their on ice performance has improved dramatically.  

For example Reinhart

Oct-Dec 5g 6a 11pts -10  (38 games)

Jan - Mar 10g 13a 24pts -1 (27 games)

Something clicked.

Also some of the vets with fat paychecks are ROR, Bogo, KO and even Lehner.  Just because they are under 30 doesn't excuse them.  I actually don't think KO is an issue, but I do think ROR and BOGO are.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm really leaning towards not being comfortable thinking any of them are a problem. If I really press myself, I have no clue what might be going on in that locker room and everything I might suggest is coated with biases and completely devoid of sound logic. 

I'm just gonna let Botts and Phil do their thing, my trust in them has risen in general since they've been hired.

More pieces like Scandella please.

However, we saw Jack takeoff after he and Housley had their chat.  Risto and Sam have seemed to buy in after X-Mas.  Certainly their on ice performance has improved dramatically.  

For example Reinhart

Oct-Dec 5g 6a 11pts -10  (38 games)

Jan - Mar 10g 13a 24pts -1 (27 games)

Something clicked.

Also some of the vets with fat paychecks are ROR, Bogo, KO and even Lehner.  Just because they are under 30 doesn't excuse them.  I actually don't think KO is an issue, but I do think ROR and BOGO are.

Well, the Vogl article came out this morning, so there is still some serious issues with not listening to the coach.

I don't know how you can suggest that ROR is not playing with drive.  Or KO.  And Bogo hasn't been in a practice or game in a long time, so I'm not sure where he is influencing anything right now.  The idea that its the vets that are floating doesn't really hold water IMO.

More pieces like Scandella please.

Yes, please.

Yes, please.

It not only appears (who knows if it's the case for sure) that he's a good soldier in regard to the topics of today, but the dude can just play defense. And we got him for stuff that Minny fans are begging their GM to buy out so they don't have to watch them anymore. 

I hope he's scouring cap-strapped teams again this summer.

Well, the Vogl article came out this morning, so there is still some serious issues with not listening to the coach.

I think Vogl is writing a big picture piece about what has ailed the Sabres this season (and last).

I think Botterill and Housley likely feel the same way and are trying to correct it - partly through coaching, partly through roster turnover.

I think it’s why they decided to trade Kane. I hope it is why Reinhart is playing better.

It’s hard to say how much progress they have made and how much further they have to go.

Most of us see a talent-poor team that is playing better over the past 20 games.

As for the passengers, it could be a mix of vets going through the motions (Pouliots benchings make him a logical suspect), and entitled kids. Summer changes will likely point to who.

Edited by dudacek

I think Vogl is writing a big picture piece about what has ailed the Sabres this season (and last).

I think Botterill and Housley likely feel the same way and are trying to correct it - partly through coaching, partly through roster turnover.

I think it’s why they decided to trade Kane. I hope it is why Reinhart is playing better.

It’s hard to say how much progress they have made and how much further they have to go.

Most of us see a talent-poor team that is playing better over the past 20 games.

As for the passengers, it could be a mix of vets going through the motions (Pouliots benchings make him a logical suspect), and entitled kids. Summer changes will likely point to who.

Now, Poulliot is a vet that could def be going through the motions. He's been shipped around alot and has a rep.

With Risto, Nelson, Scandella, McCabe, Guhle, a HEALTHY Bogo (wishfull thinking), Antipin, and Beauleau....I think this D-core won't be a liability anymore. Great? nope, but I think you can get by with them and be a good team with that group providing you have quality up front.

Of course, It would be great to have an top-notch D-core, and on paper I thought those guys could be one...but after watching many of them for a few year....slightly above average is probably their ceiling, and I'm not too upset with that. Just get Risto's minute down, have 2 of the 3 of McCabe, Scandella, or Bogo be fully healthy, and they'll be OK.

It’s not wishful thinking to count on a healthy Bogosian, it’s a damned near impossibility.

Well stated.

Edited by Thorny

I don't know how you can suggest that ROR is not playing with drive.  Or KO.  And Bogo hasn't been in a practice or game in a long time, so I'm not sure where he is influencing anything right now.  The idea that its the vets that are floating doesn't really hold water IMO.

Yes, please.

I exempted KO, but yes ROR coasted for much of the 1st half of the season. For a two way player as talented and proven as ROR, coming out the first two months and being -17 was one of the reasons we got to such a horrible start. Round Thanksgiving he bottomed out with zero pts over 6 games and -5. Since that time he has been much better.

Pommers seem to sulk after getting demoted from Jack’s line. He added 12 pts playing with Jack, then went 3-5 for 8 pts in the next 48 games. Yes Pommers is 35, and his game isn’t what it once was, but those 48 games he mostly floated around the ice.

Our record with Bogo hanging around, practicing and playing: 10-24-9. Our record since Bogo went down for the season with an injury 10-10-2.

Looking at teams with high salary cap for 2018-19 and potential trade partners or picking up UFA's from team.

Pittsburg, LA, Tampa, Nashville, Chicago, Florida, Minnesota, Anaheim, Calgary, Washington, and Edmonton have cap hits already over 62 million.  Some of them Florida, Nashville, Tampa and LA have rosters that are full and won't need to do much. The others have several spots open and would need to make changes depending on what salary cap goes up to.

Some ideas-

Pittsburg- Could we somehow trade and get RFA's Sheehan and Rust?  Mentioned this in another post that I think Sheehan will be moved since they have Brassard. I would love to get Rust speed on the Sabres third line.  JBotts familiarity with Rust since he was part of Pittsburg's minor league teams.

Tampa- UFA defenseman Adrej Sustr- 6'7" 27 year old stay at home defenseman would be perfect for third pairing. Coming off a one year contract at 1.9 million.  Would he come to Buffalo for 3 years at $3 million a year.  

Anaheim- UFA Antoine Vermette- one year deal to be third line center, take some of the face off pressure off of ROR.

Washington- To me this is the team Buffalo should be looking at.  $62 million in 14 players.  

RFA's- Tom Wilson and Phillip Grubauer this summer and Andre Burkovsky next summer.

UFA John Carlson this summer.

Just like Johansson last year Washington is going to have to give up a quality player this off season to stay under the cap.

Edmonton- RFA's Nurse and Benning. Could we steal one of these defenseman in a trade?

Edited by sweetlou

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.