Off Season Game Plan

Crusader1969

What's the game plan for the Sabres next season? What expectations for the 2018/19 season do you have? Can they become a playoff team or are we still "a couple of years away"?

Clear out more dead weight and the "party" atmosphere surrounding this team. Continue to develop the talent in the system while having a good draft. 

I don't think they make the playoffs next year. 

They damn well better expect to make the playoffs next season. The waiting list for STHs has evaporated and it's time to see what these guys are made of. If they come out of the gate stinking up the joint again next season than Housley's seat will start to get warmer and warmer with each passing loss.

Bad news for next season - Kane will likely be gone. 1 year still remaining on the deals for Moulson and Pominville. Bogosian will still have another season after this one. Eichel will have a $10 million cap hit.

The good news - Gorges off the books. Available prospects from an improved Rochester team including Guhle, Ullmark, and possibly CJ Smith. Likely top 5 pick from the 2018 draft who will likely be able to contribute right away (Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, or maybe even Dahlin but not likely).

The best news - Lord and Savior Casey Mittelstadt may grace us all with his presence to rescue this struggling franchise from the doldrums of the NHL standings basement.

There's still a lot of unknowns at this point. Depending on what we get for Kane and whether Mittelstadt decides to stay in school another year, along with where we end up in the draft could have a big impact on how the lines look next season.

The lineup is just one of the issues this organization has to address in the off-season (albeit the most important).  There are issues with the arena, the "in-game experience", the front office, the AHL affiliate....well, the list goes on.  Perhaps owning two major sports franchises is one too many for TP.  There seems to be a general lack of focus in the entire Sabres' organization. Maybe now that attendance is finally tailing off and game tickets are selling for less on the secondary market than tickets to high school games, the powers that be will finally pay some attention. They've tread on the goodwill of their fan base for just a little too long.

Hey, the expansion team in Vegas has fewer losses than the Sabres have wins.  I know that choosing players in an expansion draft is not the same as an established team trying to retool, but the dang Golden Knights are on top of their division.  There should be more than a few embarrassed GMs around the league...

Clear out more dead weight and the "party" atmosphere surrounding this team. Continue to develop the talent in the system while having a good draft. 

I don't think they make the playoffs next year. 

A couple of no nonsense grizzled vets would go along way with this team.

The game plan is to win.

Is throwing out the same lineup and telling them go out and win enough?

I believe that you are one of the best posters on this site and have way more to add than "just win". What would you like to see Botterill do?

A couple of no nonsense grizzled vets would go along way with this team.

UFA Or trades?

Edited by Crusader1969

Is throwing out the same lineup and telling them go out and win enough?

I believe that you are one of the best posters on this site and have way more to add than "just win". What would you like to see Botterill do?

UFA Or trades?

Ya, it was a poor excuse for a post.

But Jack's latest injury has me feeling like Boromir after the second arrow, right about now.

What's the game plan for the Sabres next season? What expectations for the 2018/19 season do you have? Can they become a playoff team or are we still "a couple of years away"?

We're a couple of years away.

I don't think a lot of fans realize how messed up this organization is.

Botterill is a big believer in developing the proper way, from within the organization and having a competitive group in Rochester.

It all takes time to develop and we are starting out, right now, close to square 1.

Well, it's square 1, but with Jack Eichel already acquired.

So maybe square 2. 

Send casey mittlestadt back another year for seasoning that is what they should do.    not NHL ready yet, kid needs more muscle.

i see that point but then I see so many examples of guys coming out of college after 1 year and doing well. In the last game against Colorado, Jost was an example of a guy who has 5 AHL games on his resume and is now a big part of the teams turnaround.

As for the muscle point, I would ask "How much muscle does Mitch Marner have?"  How about Matthew Barzal?

If Mittlestadt signs after his freshman year and is one of the best players at camp next year, why would he be sent down?   next year, the motto should be "the best players play".  

Tyson Jost has 13 points in 38 games, he may be a part of the turn around but I he isn't a big part. 

The Sabres should do what Colorado did though. Get rid of anyone who isn't here for the team. The underachievers and the lazy players can go. Start making being a Sabre mean something. 

Tyson Jost has 13 points in 38 games, he may be a part of the turn around but I he isn't a big part. 

The Sabres should do what Colorado did though. Get rid of anyone who isn't here for the team. The underachievers and the lazy players can go. Start making being a Sabre mean something. 

True about Jost but I could have used Dylan Larkin or Clayton Keller as examples. If Mittelstadt is one of the top 9 fowards at training camp next fall, he should make the team.

Off-season game plan Part 1

The Forwards:

It's becoming clear that Sam (RFA), Jack, ROR and KO are the big 4 for the time being and will be again next season. After we trade Kane we need two top 6 LWs and have little in proven players for those jobs. This group also needs to get faster and play with more of an edge and more for each other.

Beside the big 4, the questions stem from who will be back and at what positions. Plus can Jbot find a way to upgrade the top 6 without given up to much.

A) Signed additional Forwards: Larsson, Girgensons, Pommers and ERod

b) Key RFAs (NHL) - Sam, Wilson.; (AHL) - Baptiste, Bailey, Smith, Fasching

c) UFAs : Pouliot, Nolan, Josefson

D) Prospects making the jump to NA Pro Hockey: Asplund: Olofsson, Pu (already signed) and possibly Mittelstadt.

Jbots job

Job 1) Trade Kane and get something positive in return. I'm hoping for an near ready good prospect and maybe a draft pick. Any roster player will likely be a cap dump and a warm body so Jbot doesn't have to raid Rochester.

Job 2) With Jack out and Kane traded, Jbot and his staff need to do a thorough evaluation of each forward to see who is part of the solution and who isn't. So far Sam, ERod and Wilson seem to be stepping up.

I'd actually like to keep Erod, Wilson and Girgensons. We are stuck with Pommers for one more year. I'm trading Larsson because we desperately need an upgrade of the 3rd line center. Larsson doesn't give us size, speed or scoring.

Job 3) Make sure we qualify the RFAs and get Sam signed to a reasonable bridge deal. If he reaches 40 pts again, I'd expect a 3 year 12 mill deal.

Job 4) Pray we get one of picks 1-4 in the 2018 draft. With three very talented LWs following Dahlin at 1. I doubt if any of the three will be NHL ready next year, but all three should be ready by fall 2019.

Job 5) If we get one of the 3 LWs, then we need to hope one of Mittelstadt, Nylander, or even Smith or Olofsson could do the job as early as next season, but again almost certainly by fall of 2019. If none are ready then Jbot might need to find another stop gap or two from either inside the organization or elsewhere.

Job 6) find a decent 3rd line center.

Job 7) We have a slew of good forward prospects entering the organization or looking for an opportunity in Buffalo. Pu starts his ELC. Hopefully Jbot can sign Olofsson and Asplund and get them into Roch. Given Nylander's struggles, it might be best to leave Mittelstadt in college one more year to get stronger.

Job 8) throw all positions except for the big 4 open to competition in camp. We have enough internal talented guys who could win the other 9 forward jobs without wasting resources.

Bottomline, I want to get young, cheaper and faster. I'd like to see Olofsson and Smith (both 23) get legit shots are winning a top 6 LW job, especially if we somehow get Dahlin or miss out on Zadina, the Russian or Tkachuk.

Roster

Girgensons Eichel Okposo

Zadina ROR Sam

Smith (Sam Gagner) Baptiste/ Pommers

Wilson Erod Bailey/Fasching

The LW competition should be crazy. Smith, Girgensons, Olofsson, Zadina (aka 1st rd pick) Wilson, Bailey and possibly Nylander and Mittelstadt might all be candidates for the 4 LW jobs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Part 2: The Defense

Signed: Scandella, Ristolainen, McCabe, Beaulieu, Bogosian and Guhle

Key RFAs: Antipin, Nelson

UFA: Falk, Redmond

The easiest thing for Jbot to do is re-sign Antipin and the emerging Nelson, promote Guhle and roll the dice Bogo gets and stays healthy. In all honesty, another year undef Housley and the experience playing in the same system swith basically the same group, should show significant improvement. Adding Nelson and Guhle adds more speed and better puck movement. In year 2, both Anitipin and Baloo should be better as well and they have good speed and puck skills. I also think it isn’t unreasonable to also re-sign Falk as Bogo insurance.

While that could lead to a decent improvement, that group doesn’t solve one of the fundemental issues with this group and that is the over working of Rasmus Ristolainen. His recent play is again a symptom of an over worked player who is being asked to do to much. Add Guhle should help, but it isn’t reasonable to expect a rookie to solve the Risto problem. We need to build an effective 2nd pair anchored by somene how can play 22-25 minutes a night. This is asking alot I know, but these players are out there and it is job one for Jbot to find one.

So gameplan.

1) Qualify and re-sign Nelson and Antipin. Nelson’s arrival in Buffalo has made a huge difference this season. Right now I’d say he has earned a shot to be in Buffalo’s top 6 next fall. I suspect Antipin returns to Russia, but there have been some really nice moments and if can take the next step, we might really have something here.

2) Dispose of Bogo (but in a kind and humane way). At this point his injury prevents a buyout. That leaves us four choices. 1) if healthy keep him and see if he can build some trade value. 2) if unhealthy, place him on LTIR permenantly 3)if healthy bit the bullet and send him to Roch. 4) trade him as is for a bag of pucks and keep 50% of his salary on the books for two more years.

I don’t think he has any trade value as is and still won’t even if he comes back healthy. I also don’t want him on this roster next year even if healthy. If healthy I’m demoting him to Roch. If he proves healthy and dominates then we’ll re-evaluate sometime next season. If unhealthy then LTIR is the way to go.

3) Find a 2nd line D. If we somehow get lucky and land Dahlin in the draft, then Xmas arrived early and we are likely good to go. If not, then jbot needs to work then phones. Really, I’m only looking for an improved version of McCabe. He managed to find Scandella last off-season, can he find another this off-season?

Roster

Scandella Risto

Dahlin/FA/Trade Guhle

Nelson McCabe

Antipin Baloo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.