Eichel starting to take over more...

matter2003

I've been encouraged by what I have seen from Eichel of late...it seems he is starting to understand how he needs to play more often and has been a force most nights.  It's no surprise the powerplay has once again been best in the NHL since early January with the way he has picked up his game---this team was lethal on the power play last year.

Tonight he came out of the penalty box shaking his head and you could tell he was pise and then he basically took over the game and set up the game winner.  

We have a long way to go, but Eichel is starting to show signs he is understanding what we need him to be.

53 points in 53 games, on a 32 goal, 50 assist pace...there is a lot to like with Eichel's game right now, but  truly think this is only the tip of the iceberg with him...

Edited by matter2003

Just saw these stats tonight.

1) Eichel is 21; he has 44 multi-point games in his career

2) Jack has played 54 games this year. He has 25 even strength primary points on the season (goals and primary assists) Thats a career high for him surpassing 24 in his rookie year; when he played 81 games.

Edited by sabelvilhelm

I'm so glad he's gotten over what little snit was plaguing him in the fall. He really seems to have grown up and mature into the kind of player who not only is elite, but makes his own teammates play better as well. He's given this team some hope after a very difficult start and hopefully it builds and rubs off on next year's acquistions.

Just saw these stats tonight.

1) Eichel is 21; he has 44 multi-point games in his career

2) Jack has played 54 games this year. He has 25 primary points on the season (goals and primary assists) Thats a career high for him surpassing 24 in his rookie year; when he played 81 games.

25 primary points at Even Strength.

He has 22 primary points overall just from his goal total.

Edited by Thorny

So what's the real stat?

25 primary points at Even Strength. Most of his career.

Tell me again why Auston Matthews is better?

BECAUSE AUSTIN 3:16 SAYS....he’s not.

Matthews has a better two way game, but Jack’s offensive ceiling (and current offensive production) is higher. I’ll take Jack every time, not just as a Sabres fan, because it’s easier to teach defence than offense.

And Jack is a better athlete.

Edited by Thorny

Tell me again why Auston Matthews is better?

He isn't right now, his rookie season was way better than Jack's but he's about the same guy he was last season this season, and Jack has passed that level in year 3. We'll see what Auston's curve looks like. 

As the resident pessimist on this topic, I think Jack's got more room to grow than Auston does, too. Auston's game is already refined and seasoned. Jack's still a raw, streaky guy with insane skills. He has a lot more learning to do yet than Auston does. 

Auston can pound those 5 foot rebounds home like a champ though. Maybe he'll learn to pass someday.

Edited by Randall Flagg

He isn't right now, his rookie season was way better than Jack's but he's about the same guy he was last season this season, and Jack has passed that level in year 3. We'll see what Auston's curve looks like. 

As the resident pessimist on this topic, I think Jack's got more room to grow than Auston does, too. Auston's game is already refined and seasoned. Jack's still a raw, streaky guy with insane skills. He has a lot more learning to do yet than Auston does. 

Auston can pound those 5 foot rebounds home like a champ though. Maybe he'll learn to pass someday.

To me that’s a positive. Untapped potential.

I see two things in Jack these days:  1. He's bringing a more physical game.  Not a big punishing hitter, but enough pushback to earn respect from defenders, and to disrupt the play when he's defending.  2. His play without the puck is vastly improved.  This is evidenced both on offense and defense.  You don't see him coasting on the back check; he's skating hard.  And when he's on offense without the puck, he's doing a lot better job of being in the right spot to create a dangerous scoring play.  Earlier in his career when he was without the puck he just made himself available for the return pass right away, and usually got it.  Opposing defenses recognized him and learned to shut it down.  Now when he's covered without the puck, he either draws defenders away from the puck carrier, escapes the defenders to find open ice or... and this is the big part... he lets the play develop without being the puck carrier.  He used to be a one-trick pony; he's a much more complete player now.

I see two things in Jack these days:  1. He's bringing a more physical game.  Not a big punishing hitter, but enough pushback to earn respect from defenders, and to disrupt the play when he's defending.  2. His play without the puck is vastly improved.  This is evidenced both on offense and defense.  You don't see him coasting on the back check; he's skating hard.  And when he's on offense without the puck, he's doing a lot better job of being in the right spot to create a dangerous scoring play.  Earlier in his career when he was without the puck he just made himself available for the return pass right away, and usually got it.  Opposing defenses recognized him and learned to shut it down.  Now when he's covered without the puck, he either draws defenders away from the puck carrier, escapes the defenders to find open ice or... and this is the big part... he lets the play develop without being the puck carrier.  He used to be a one-trick pony; he's a much more complete player now.

1 - Yes, very noticeable.   He's a big strong kid want to see more of it.   

2 - His play away from the puck in the d-zone is much better.    More desperation and competitiveness although he still has lapses.   eg, on the second NYI goal tonight he stopped moving his feet and just tried to reach with his stick.    Would've liked to see him keep his feet moving, get stick on puck annd attack the body, instead of just attacking the puck.  It's those small details that can be the difference between winning and losing. 

I like that Jack (throughout his young career) has continuously improved his game throughout the season. He actually picks up his production the later the season goes. You see a lot of guys start the season on fire and then fizzle (a la Evander).

I only caught the final 5 mins of last nights game but Jack looked dominant. When he gets the puck the defense automatically respects him. That's a great sign for things to come.

Jack and ROR probably have less than 100 minutes at even strength together combined over the past 3 seasons

They only played 70.5 even strength min together last year. I don't recall them playing together this year outside EN minutes.

I think that was the point:  ROR is scoring PP goals lately.

But yeah, they obviously play a lot together on the power play. ROR has scored 7 EVG this year and 9 PPG. His career averages aren't nearly that reliant on the PP. He has scored 2 EVG for every 1 PPG over his 9 years. Small sample size that is probably more indicative of our late PP success. But interesting. 

Edit to add- ROR's 9 PP goals have been assisted by:

Okposo: 5

Eichel: 4

Kane: 3

Reinhart: 3

Risto: 2

Beaulieu: 1

Edited by EichSnipe

I'm gonna go ahead and assume we all think he's breaking the 30g barrier this year?

His 54 game performance so far paces to: 33 G, 47 A, 80 points

But that's with the league's worst PP for 45 games. I think he easily blows past 35 with a handful of PPG thrown in. He scored 10 PPG in 61 games last year. His tap in from Sam the other night was only his third this year.

Kane should be the only substantial piece leaving the offense at the deadline. We know that won't hurt Jack's production :D

Edited by EichSnipe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.