In search of: Secondary Scoring

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres have scored a league low 114 goals

Top 5 forwards (KO, ROR, Jack, Sam, Kane) 68 goals (60%)

Remaining forwards plus callups - 38 goals (33%)

13 D - 8 goals (7%)

Last season (199 goals)

Top 5 - 108 (54%)

Other Forwards - 74 - (37%)

D - 17 (9%)

Last year we seemed to have better secondary scoring because of Gionta, Moulson and Foligno.

This reminds me of Jan 5th when we lost 4-3 to Winnipeg. Our goals came from Scandella (1st of the year), Larsson (2nd), and Wilson (1st). When you get secondary scoring x3, you have to win that game!!!

The fact three regulars had combined for one goal halfway through the year tells you all you need to know about our secondary scoring.

Here's where I think we are at going into next season:

? - Eichel - Okposo

? - ROR - Reinhart

Zemgus - ? - Pominville 

? - ? - Baptiste

If we think about it we need to fill out 3lw spots and then 2 centers.  Theoretically Johan Larsson could be here. Benoit Pouliot could get re-signed. You have the possibility of Olofsson, CJ Smith, and Mittelstadt making the team. 

Olofsson - Eichel - Okposo

CJ Smith - ROR - Reinhart

Zemgus - Mittelstadt - Pommers

Pouliot - Larsson - Baptiste

This would be my outside guess if all goes amazing and the 3 players I am penciling in actually make the team. CJ Smith would have to be able to jump the NHL and not be an AHL only player. Victor Olofsson would have to jump from the SHL to the NHL which may be a challenge. The good news is he has 4 seasons of pro hockey under his belt so at least he should know how to adapt. Casey Mittelstadt has to make the biggest jump from College to the NHL. The speed of the game and his ability to dangle will be impacted, he will also need to adjust. 

This is how you get more scoring though. Zemgus with a good center. Larsson playing the shutdown role he should. More overall speed throughout the lineup. You aren't really bringing in young rookies outside of Casey. CJ Smith and Olofsson are both going to be 23 to start the season. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

(Note: I don't actually know what Lee Stempniak is up to.)

Like half the population of Buffalo, he moved to Carolina.

(Currently with Hurricanes)

? - Eichel - Okposo

? - ROR - Reinhart

Zemgus - ? - Pominville 

? - ? - Baptiste

If we think about it we need to fill out 3lw spots and then 2 centers.  Theoretically Johan Larsson could be here. Benoit Pouliot could get re-signed. You have the possibility of Olofsson, CJ Smith, and Mittelstadt making the team. 

This would be my outside guess if all goes amazing and the 3 players I am penciling in actually make the team. CJ Smith would have to be able to jump the NHL and not be an AHL only player. Victor Olofsson would have to jump from the SHL to the NHL which may be a challenge. The good news is he has 4 seasons of pro hockey under his belt so at least he should know how to adapt. Casey Mittelstadt has to make the biggest jump from College to the NHL. The speed of the game and his ability to dangle will be impacted, he will also need to adjust. 

This is how you get more scoring though. Zemgus with a good center. Larsson playing the shutdown role he should. More overall speed throughout the lineup. You aren't really bringing in young rookies outside of Casey. CJ Smith and Olofsson are both going to be 23 to start the season. 

Yeah actually... watching the game he won in OT the other night was was kind of surprised how slow the game moved.  Definitely will be an adjustment.

Because he's not ready to be our next GM yet.

:w00t:

Agreed:  :w00t:

This was good!

That said, Stempniak is a player I'd love to have as a third line winger. He put up 40 points in 82 games last year. Hurt to begin this season, but has scored 4 points in 6 games. That's on a 2 year, $2.5M contract. UFA next year. 

? - Eichel - Okposo

? - ROR - Reinhart

Zemgus - ? - Pominville

? - ? - Baptiste

If we think about it we need to fill out 3lw spots and then 2 centers. Theoretically Johan Larsson could be here. Benoit Pouliot could get re-signed. You have the possibility of Olofsson, CJ Smith, and Mittelstadt making the team.

Like the optimism but we need more finishers. Olofsson is the only “proven” scorer of the new additions. Smith looks more of a creator then finisher as does Mittelstadt, who I think needs another year in college. If we get lucky in the lottery, Zadina and the Russian look like scorers and they’d help.

What we need in depth is a couple of guys like we had in McGinn and Gionta. Someone who can score 15 goals in a 3rd line role.

By the way, I’d swap Smith and Olofsson. Olofsson needs someone to feed him the puck, ROR and and Reinhart excel at passing. Smith is a pass first guy. If we want Jack to be the 40+ scorer we need, it would help him to have Smith on his wing.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.