GDT: Dallas Stars @ Buffalo Sabres, 1/20/2018, 1pm ET, MSG

LGR4GM

This is, IMO, the worst Sabres team. Ever.  There is talent but nothing meshes.  Undisciplined play.  No team cohesiveness. No focus of purpose.  Sloppy passing.  Mental errors.  The list goes on.  Galling is that an expansion team will make the play offs this season.  The tank results are not looking good.  Another tank to make up for it?  

I didn't like his game the first time around. Too soft. Too finesse. I'm not happy that we brought him back. If we wanted a veteran presence at wing, I think we should have just kept Gio for another year.

Agree.  But taking Pommer was the only way to get our stud D-Man Scandella.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but this team is still so much better at hockey than and so much easier on the eyes than 13-15. And I don't even really think it's an opinion. Time really dulls all wounds, though, and this is now, and the expectations are so much higher this time. 

Like, this time three years ago we were in the middle of 14 losses in a row, for Chrissake

Edited by Randall Flagg

Booooooooooooooo

They came to play and you didn't go ahead collect your paycheck and take another week off you obviously need it.

When you finally get rested up come back and put your big boy pants back on and try not to embarrass this city and its fans.

Edited by hockeyhound

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but this team is still so much better at hockey than and so much easier on the eyes than 13-15. And I don't even really think it's an opinion. Time really dulls all wounds, though, and this is now, and the expectations are so much higher this time. 

Like, this time three years ago we were in the middle of 14 losses in a row, for Chrissake

I think what sucks most is that - today notwithstanding -we’ve been in 90 per cent of the games this year and still find ways to lose.

Agree with your post 100 per cent,

11 losses in our last 14 hardly feels different.

If I were running the Sabres, Housley would be unemployed by the end of the weekend.

I know the team has limitations but the regression is stunningly bad.

When you miss Bylsma that means its a done deal.

Fire Phil and let the rebuild be done right.

great players rarely become good coaches because they expect the players to be as talented as they are. and the sabres have no one close to housley in talent exc for maybe eichel.

Edited by calti

Terrible drafting year-over-year (with the exception of Eichel and any one of us on this board could have made that pick) has done this team in. Pissing away a first round pick for Lehner is criminal. Always drafting forwards (i.e., not learning anything from the Oilers drafts over the past decade) has been a killer. We drafted Risto & Zadorov then traded Nikita. He's now playing 20 minutes per night in Colorado and is only 22.

The comment above that the pieces just don't fit together is exactly right. There is no rhyme or reason to this roster. What are we trying to be? Speed team? Heavy team? Defense-first team? Young team? Veteran team? Win with goaltending? What is the identity we're going for?

If this new GM doesnt work out in the next yr..Pegula needs to hire PROVEN big time winners at GM and coach.And he needs to leave them alone for a decade.

I'm with you on that. I honestly don't think Pegula meddles in things but he definitely needs help in getting the right people in place. I haven't given up on the GM he's got at least couple seasons to make that evaluation. Coach? That's another thing.

11 losses in our last 14 hardly feels different.

We are also -26 for goal differential in those 11 losses.

Freeman had it right: when you spend two full years with a goal of losing and couple that with a talent tear-down aimed at making sure that will happen, you create a culture that is incredibly hard to shake.

The team has more talent than its record, but the players expect to lose.

I'm with you on that. I honestly don't think Pegula meddles in things but he definitely needs help in getting the right people in place. I haven't given up on the GM he's got at least couple seasons to make that evaluation. Coach? That's another thing.

Agreed.

Jason deserves some time. Just started. Drafted Middlestat which looks really promising.

Let's see this time next year how things look to truly assess JBOT.

yep waaay too early on this GM to condemn

Just. No.

We're worse this year.

Freeman had it right: when you spend two full years with a goal of losing and couple that with a talent tear-down aimed at making sure that will happen, you create a culture that is incredibly hard to shake.

The team has more talent than its record, but the players expect to lose.

Maybe by a little bit? You are what your record says, by and large. We only have a few talented players. We are getting almost no production from the majority of the roster. The majority of the roster is terrible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.