GDT: Sabres @ Rangers, 1/18/2018, 7:30pm ET /NBCS

LGR4GM

And what have the rest of the Sabres done? I think you are too focused on the end result and not paying attention to the dominos falling before the goals. The game would be 10-3 if not for Lehner. I bet he's praying he gets traded off this s##show.

I'm praying he gets traded. Sick of his attitude and sick of his inability to track the puck.

Think about how many players that have left Buffalo and have won the Cup or players that left and played better hockey than when they played in Buffalo.

Again you're only thinking of the positives that stand out in your mind. Think about the Enroths, Leinos, Ehrhoffs, Staffords, Myers...

I wonder if it would kill some people to accept that it's possible for one to find Lehner, and the rest of the team, to be bad all at the same time? Why do I have to keep reading a bunch of either/or arguments?

Both are bad. Lehner, though, is costing the team goals that even their ineptitude doesn't deserve. Tonight was a perfect example. Dude was personally responsible for two goals. He stops those, Sabres win. End of.

I wonder if it would kill some people to accept that it's possible for one to find Lehner, and the rest of the team, to be bad all at the same time? Why do I have to keep reading a bunch of either/or arguments?

One year it’s the defense, then it the goaltending, then it’s the offense. How about bad coaching, bad scouting.

Think about how many players that have left Buffalo and have won the Cup or players that left and played better hockey than when they played in Buffalo.

I could literally say this about every team.

Thank you! Lehner sucks. The defense ALSO sucks.

The one thing I just don’t get is how bad Lehner is at shootouts or breakaways. Most goalies are pretty solid on that stuff. Goalie coach and possible sports psychologist would maybe help him out. I don’t put all the blame on just the goalie if you have some good defense that can move the puck quickly out of your end that also helps. Let’s face it besides Risto and possibly McCabe this defensive squad blows.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

The one thing I just don’t get is how bad Lehner is at shootouts or breakaways. Most goalies are pretty solid on that stuff. Goalie coach and possible sports psychologist would maybe help him out. I don’t put all the blame on just the goalie if you have some good defense that can move the puck quickly out of your end that also helps. Let’s face it besides Risto and possibly McCabe this defensive squad blows.

We're far beyond the point where it can be attributed to anything other than Lehner being awful at playing goalie. He's .

I didn't think they played horrible, though there were a few hiccups... no worse than the Rangers, yet every scrum ends up behind him.  His reading of the puck or better yet his second read is horrible.  He gets too far out of the net, the last two goals were because he was badly out of position and can't scramble back.  He just doesn't gumby.  Even Ullmark showed signed of being able to do that.  I like the guy and his intensity, but his positional play has way to many hiccups and his reaction time if he isn't sure where the puck is... ie awareness is piss poor.

I'm not a Lehner fan by any means, but it makes me laugh when people bring this up. The dude has only been in one shootout this season and has faced 2 shooters. One stop, one goal.

As for breakways, yeah we all remember all the goals because those sting. But, is there a statistic that keeps tracks of goals and saves on breakaways? I tried looking around just to see how bad he is and where he ranks. I have center ice package and i watch a lot of hockey, and it seems many goalies allow breakaways often. I just wonder where he ranks in the league?

I'm not a Lehner fan by any means, but it makes me laugh when people bring this up. The dude has only been in one shootout this season and has faced 2 shooters. One stop, one goal.

As for breakways, yeah we all remember all the goals because those sting. But, is there a statistic that keeps tracks of goals and saves on breakaways? I tried looking around just to see how bad he is and where he ranks. I have center ice package and i watch a lot of hockey, and it seems many goalies allow breakaways often. I just wonder where he ranks in the league?

I'd like to see that too... though it seems anecdotally that all his breakaway goals he gives up are on snipe shots before much of a move, mostly glove side.  Love to know what the book is on him, but I am guessing it is shoot don't get in too close.

Have yet to read the thread, but damn were Lehner’s flaws ever on display tonight.

Don’t think Reinhart played particularly well, but he produced, so I guess that’s all that matters.

Our defence looks a lot worse when Bogosian isn’t playing. Or was it the fact McCabe was still on the break?

Evander Kane is waiting to be traded. His game is on pause.

I am so glad Housley finally decided to put the right five guys on the PP and stick with them.

I’d have to call Rick Nash’s career a disappointment after watching him play tonight. What a talent.

Rangers are in serious trouble without Hank.

Pretty sure that "one stop" was the shooter missing the net.

What's with the Lehner controversy/debate in the latter pages of this thread?  LOL

Dude is horrible and will be gone after this year, for little in return.  His fundamentals/positioning are god awful.  

And to think GMTM gave up that first for him!  I still get pissed about that one.

Other notes: lots of things looked better tonight but still not enough; McCabe is freaking terrible; throw him in the bust pile along with Reinhart, who had a nice game!

Trades can't come soon enough; can't wait to see what happens.

I thought they played pretty good tonight.   2 bonehead plays by McCabe, 1 by Nelson, and 2 by Lehner.  

McCabe seems to be getting worse and worse by the game.    Thought Housley would help his development... is there any player you can look at and say they've improved under Housley?   

I thought they played pretty good tonight.   2 bonehead plays by McCabe, 1 by Nelson, and 2 by Lehner.  

McCabe seems to be getting worse and worse by the game.    Thought Housley would help his development... is there any player you can look at and say they've improved under Housley?

Eichel.

Much better defensively, slightly better production.

Pretty sure that "one stop" was the shooter missing the net.

it hit the post. i remember specifically because lehner corrected the media when they say he made the stop. He corrected them in saying he didnt, it hit the post. 

He has only had 1 shoot out because every other time they went to OT, he gave up an goal 

i think its pretty fair to say 90% of the team's defense is bad. 99% of the goaltending is horrible (the 1% that is not bad is linus on the amerks). 

it is hard to win when you give up 3 or 4 goals. yet day in and day out, lehner and the defense put them in that position

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.