Sabres at Blackhawks, 12/8/2017, 8:30 pm ET

Doohickie

How many softies from the blue line in the 3rd period (or OT) does Lehner have to give up before people stop apologizing for him?

When the Sabres have a lead in the 3rd period, we all know he's going to let one in.

He doesn't have what is needed upstairs to close out games.

I guaran-damn-tee that he's not their goalie next year.

Yup.

How many softies from the blue line in the 3rd period (or OT) does Lehner have to give up before people stop apologizing for him?

When the Sabres have a lead in the 3rd period, we all know he's going to let one in.

Sabres next year will be the Bills this year....500 team and miss playoffs again. They are a couple years away still

He gives that goal up in the third we still lose 3-2.

What did he have today, a .941 sv%? That's enough to win, surely.

You know what his sv% was on muffins from the point on the ice with 5s left in over time? .000 ..and that's all that matters.

Lol at least Bromley helped get his team to the finals. That definitely isn’t happening with this team anytime soon.

Bromley did nothing of the sort. They were winning IN THE REGULAR SEASON despite him.

There was a reason they picked up a 'meh' Desjardins midseason & that when he couldn't get it done they brought Crozier w/ all the stomach issues in in desperation.

yup

SV% exists for a reason. Last I checked, that 3rd goal counts for the same no matter when it's scored.

The Sabres could literally lose 1-0 in OT and people would bitch about the timing of the goal.

.941 SV%

While you may be correct about Lehner being gone by next year, the OT goal was totally on Ristolainen.

WTF was he doing standing by himself in front screening his goalie???

The kid is a mess and I don't know if he's fixable...

He doesn't have bad games. I can see him still being around when the Sabres are good. *ducks

He never has good games either. He's just there. Have you ever seen him make a slick pass for a goal? Or how about snap one in from the high slot? He reminds me of Christian Ruuttu, but with less offensive skill and worse defeninsevirly

I'm a bit hazy on the deets, but wasn't Bromley Crozier's backup?

(Maybe he took over from Crozier for some period in the early 1970s before giving way to Desjardins.)

He had been prior to '74-'75, but Crozier was shot & he'd been groomed to take the reins. Didn't get it done.

While you may be correct about Lehner being gone by next year, the OT goal was totally on Ristolainen.

It wasn't on Risto, although the shouldn't have waved at the puck. He was following his man across the net front. Lehner needs a way to pick those picks up I traffic. He's terrible at it.

SV% exists for a reason. Last I checked, that 3rd goal counts for the same no matter when it's scored.

The Sabres could literally lose 1-0 in OT and people would bitch about the timing of the goal.

.941 SV%

There's also a reason Lindy (and many other NHL coaches) talks about "key saves at key times."

Serious question:  do you think Lehner will be a good NHL starter somewhere next year?

No no no. It doesn't matter that he single handedly kept us in the game. It was about the timing of the goal. Surely we would have won if he gave it up in the third instead. I think those goals count for less.

48 saves? Not good enough!

He never has good games either. He's just there. Have you ever seen him make a slick pass for a goal? Or how about snap one in from the high slot? He reminds me of Christian Ruuttu, but with less offensive skill and worse defeninsevirly

Agreed.

It wasn't on Risto, although the shouldn't have waved at the puck. He was following his man across the net front. Lehner needs a way to pick those picks up I traffic. He's terrible at it.

But he didn't follow his man! He just stood in front of his goalie while his guy skated off to the right wing side.

Ristolainen sucks!

I'm a bit hazy on the deets, but wasn't Bromley Crozier's backup?

(Maybe he took over from Crozier for some period in the early 1970s before giving way to Desjardins.)

I remember Bromley from the 1980 series from Vancouver where he played for Canucks and played really well, but Sabres still won that first round series

There's also a reason Lindy (and many other NHL coaches) talks about "key saves at key times."

Serious question: do you think Lehner will be a good NHL starter somewhere next year?

Just because he's not a great goalie overall doesn't mean he can't have good games, in which he's absolutely not at fault for a loss.

Like today.

I don't even want him signed for next season. It doesn't mean I'm going to blame him for a 48 save performance. No chance.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.