DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Sabres won’t get what their asking for Kane. Not real optimistic

Correct.  And if the offers are all too low, they shouldn't trade him.  Botterill would do well to show the league that he's not a patsy.

I'll say it again, until the last injury bogo actually played more games and was more productive.

I'll never understand why this board shits on Bogosian so much.

Correct.  And if the offers are all too low, they shouldn't trade him.  Botterill would do well to show the league that he's not a patsy.

If he stayed healthy, perhaps that might be the problem.  Has he played a full 82 games yet for the Sabres over the two plus seasons at this point.  

So let Kane walk for nothing?

Why do we crap on Bogo? Lets see. Over the last 2 seasons he has played only 74 games (of a possible 143) with 2g 12a -26. So when he has been healthy, which is barely half the time, he has been played lousy.

Bogo is, by far, the most disappointing part of the Kane trade for me.

He was a 24-year-old 6’3” 225 pound high-pedigree right-shot defenceman who could skate, had a mean streak, and was capable of putting up 25 points and playing big minutes in all situations. His floor was proven to be second pairing and there was a sense that there still could be another level there that he hadn’t hit because he’d had some bad luck with injuries and was slotted behind two very good defencemen in Byfuglien and Enstrom.

On paper, he looked like exactly the type of player this team needed then and still needs right now.

Somebody (Blue I think, though I’d hate to give him credit) summed up his Sabres career perfectly:

20 games where he blends in, 20 games where he is a walking blunder, 20 games where he is a force and 20 games on IR.

We expected - and given his contract deserved - more than 40 games of useful play a year. And this year we didn’t get 20 games total.

PS: Does anyone remember that he put up 7/17/24 in 64 games in Bylsma’s first year? How much better would we have been this year with that in the lineup?

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Tomas Plekanec is being held out if tonight’s game. Looks like the end of an era for Habs’ longest serving player.

Per Friedman

From McKenzie

Nothing imminent on Plekanec trade front for MTL but being held out of lineup tonight for precautionary reasons:

They need to do the same with Kane.

It just seems weird that there are a lot of new names coming up in trade discussions and yet very little out there about Kane.  Maybe he has been on the market for too long.  I hope it is more about waiting to see what Nash is traded for to set the market for Kane, but I am getting worried that as new and attractive supply comes into the market, the number of possible destinations for Kane dwindles.  Still think the Sabres should have at least engaged in discussions about re-signing Kane.  Making that public (whether the interest was genuine or not) would have helped with the optics of this situation where now it seems we do not want him under any scenario.  Unfortunately, this kind of plays into the narrative that he has baggage/not a good locker room kind of guy.

I suspect if there were a time to hold Kane out it would be tonight. I would be very concerned if he wasn't.

If he's not, I would love to have a reporter ask JB, "so, since Kane is playing, can we assume that there isn't much interest in him?  I mean, you wouldn't risk injury on a valuable player in the 11th hour, right?" 

I would be more concerned if Nash had moved and LWs lower on the Trade List were moving.

From Travis Yost

One note — if a trade with Tampa Bay materializes *and* it includes Bobby Ryan, Montreal and/or Vegas may be involved for cap reasons. Multiple scenarios talked about on this front.

If he's not, I would love to have a reporter ask JB, "so, since Kane is playing, can we assume that there isn't much interest in him? I mean, you wouldn't risk injury on a valuable player in the 11th hour, right?"

The only reason I could see him playing is if a deal is contingent on a team's GM/scouts wanting one last look at him. But I can't see why anyone would need another look at this point. Kane is Kane.

“Insider trading” is mostly a mirage created by GMs and agents for their own nefarious purposes.

For example, “talks heating up on Pacioretty” is just as likely an attempt to push a team to move now on Kane or Nash as it is a genuine reflection of a looming Pacioretty deal.

And that’s not even accounting for the rumours mongored by unprofessional bloggers.

Botterill has the parameters in place for a couple potential Kane deals.

It’s just a matter of him and one of his potential partners deciding that it’s the best deal that will be on the table and pull the trigger.