DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I am fully ready to get on board with a Kane ejection empowering Eichel and Reinhart.

Mostly because I need something on which to pin some hope.

And for the record, I think Jack starts next season with the C and will wear it well.

He’s growing into it.

Agree.

But anecdotally, what I’ve seen and heard about Sam suggests to me he’s all too willing to take on any negative mindset Kane was preaching.

Jack, too. But Jack is amazing. So I’m admittedly biased where he is concerned, so there you have it. Plus, as you said, he’s growing up.

That leads me to think a Reinhart deal may potentially be the answer to the question of who needs to be traded to shake up the culture. Much more so than a ROR. Perhaps Kane and Lehner are the only two, but door number three for me is Reinhart.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/robin-lehner-critical-nhl-video-review-goal-ruling-sabres/

O'Reilly may not care about it, but that's what he was brought here for. He was a vet on another young team that wanted a bigger role and so demanded a trade. Well, he got that trade, and then subsequently has shown no ability to fulfill that role. Every report and discussion we have on him says he's an introverted guy that leads by example. Which is an okay thing sometimes, but when you have a young team looking for a voice, and all that's there is...what? Lehner? Brian freaking Gionta?...Gorges? O'Reilly was supposed to be that voice, and his failing to do so is not good

I don't agree with you on everything, but I do on O'Reilly. I was TOLD he was a great leader. I was TOLD he was selke-candidate quality checking...I just don't see it with my own eyes. Hes a below average skater, who is good defensively (but not great and inconsistent), who gives less effort than he is given credit for.  I'm not saying he is AWFUL, just he is a slow forward on a team that needs speed who is mostly useful killing penalties and on the Power play.

I dunno. The guy has 30 points, on a terrible team, playing two-way and winning faceoffs. He may not be the captain, but I’m satisfied with Ryan O’Reilly. There are so many other places to look to blame first, particularly when we only have 2 centres worth a damn.

I don't agree with you on everything, but I do on O'Reilly. I was TOLD he was a great leader. I was TOLD he was selke-candidate quality checking...I just don't see it with my own eyes. Hes a below average skater, who is good defensively (but not great and inconsistent), who gives less effort than he is given credit for.  I'm not saying he is AWFUL, just he is a slow forward on a team that needs speed who is mostly useful killing penalties and on the Power play.

I dunno. The guy has 30 points, on a terrible team, playing two-way and winning faceoffs. He may not be the captain, but I’m satisfied with Ryan O’Reilly. There are so many other places to look to blame first, particularly when we only have 2 centres worth a damn.

I'm content with his play, though I do expect a little more. But this conversation was about his locker room / leadership role, which mjd is right, he's failed 10000% at

That's my suspicion as well, but also remember that we once stole a 21st overall pick in exchange for Paul Gaustad. The trade deadline can sometimes be a time for wondrous, magical surprises. I'd trade Lehner for a 2nd, but you're better off keeping him for anything less than that.

In addition to Kane, Lehner, and Gorges, I'd add Larsson as obvious trade bait. If there is some creative way to unload Moulson and Bogosian, I'd jump on that too. Basically, the priority should be unloading as many of the locker room and salary cap cancers as possible by the trade deadline.

Different era in trades. The Lottery wasn't nearly as big a thing; firsts are worth more than they were.

Lehner for a 3rd round pick for a team that needs a backup (NJ perhaps)

Kane to anyone for a 1st and a player or a 2nd and a little better player. Not sure where Kane fits best but some team WILL bite.

Bring up Ullmark and Guhle full time and let the winning return

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts

Scratch the Isles off possible trade destination for Lehner

9. Last week, I wondered if the Islanders would consider Robin Lehner. Someone reached out with, “Stop wondering.” Don’t think they are going there. Thomas Greiss made 52 saves in a crazy-but-entertaining 5-4 overtime win in Montreal on Monday night. Now, will they give him the net at home? By the way, that game was a reminder that the NHL is more fun when no one bothers to play defence.

McKenzie: "Evander Kane is one of the players that Jim Rutherford has been talking to Jason Botterill, his former employee, about." Scoring winger might be luxury #Pens can't afford though. #Sabres

Outside of sprong they have nothing I really want.

From LeBrun

“I know that they’ve told teams that they’d like to get a first-round pick, a prospect, a conditional pick, and Darren Dreger added this evening on our Insider Trading segment that even maybe an NHL player in there as well,” noted LeBrun. “Potentially up to four pieces for Evander Kane, and why not set the bar high at this point.

“The problem I think the Sabres have at the moment is that there’s a bunch of teams have told them, ‘We have interest, but we just don’t know yet if we’re going to make the playoffs.’ There’s so many teams with one leg in, one out. They might have a team that’s seven or eight up or seven or eight out and a lot of them have to come back to them about a month from now.

“So I don’t think the Kane thing is going to move fast. I think that it’s something that’s going to happen in February at the earliest because of the amount of teams that have to play more games here to make sure that they’re willing to pay that price.

“But I guess the question I would have is I’ve yet to hear from a team that even off the record comfortably believes they’re ready to meet that price. And I guess we shouldn’t be surprised if it does happen because every year we get shocked. I mean, Martin Hanzal went for a lot last year. Andrew Ladd went for a ton two years ago. So maybe the Sabres will indeed get their price met.

“But so far, and maybe it’s all a game of poker, some of the teams that I know have interest in him aren’t ready to give up a first-round pick as part of it.”

Patience

Yep

I like the way Bots is playing this.

Yep

I remember GMTM setting high prices for Miller at the deadline as well.

On TSN Quiz Master They asked Jeff Niel, Bob McKenzie and Dave Poulin were the best fit Evander Kane would be. Niel and Poulin said Pittsburgh while McKenzie said Calgary. McKenzie also mentioned that Treviling is not a fan of rentals though.

The only explanation for the high asking price by Botterill has to be that he has a offer he is willing to accept on the table. That’s my guess.

As for Lehner, I never really thought their was a market for him until last week’s “31 thoughts” column. I spend the last several days wondering what could we get for him... and then Friedman comes out with the update. Lol im back to thinking there is no market for him & he will walk at the end of the season. Truly wasted 1st round pick.

The only explanation for the high asking price by Botterill has to be that he has a offer he is willing to accept on the table. That’s my guess.

As for Lehner, I never really thought their was a market for him until last week’s “31 thoughts” column. I spend the last several days wondering what could we get for him... and then Friedman comes out with the update. Lol im back to thinking there is no market for him & he will walk at the end of the season. Truly wasted 1st round pick.

He will not walk at the end of the season. He’s an RFA, not UFA.

Unless Botterill intends on acquiring some big contracts from outside the organization, he will be qualified.

If he gets a huge arbitration award, then maybe we will walk away.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Yep

I like the way Bots is playing this.

Posturing is great until Kane breaks his foot, becomes untradeable, and walks for absolutely nothing in July.

Holding out for that extra 3rd round pick or bottom 6 winger could end up costing him a 1st or a solid defensive prospect.

I'm fine with him setting a high price, but given Kane's injury history he should probably not hold out until the last possible minute. Maybe getting 75% of his asking price is better than holding out for the full thing and the increased chances of getting nothing.

Who knows though. He may be stalling because Kane has some secret/minor injury now and he's hoping for it to heal to ensure he passes his trade physical. Kane's production seems to have fallen off a bit lately, but I haven't been watching most of the games recently to know.

He will not walk at the end of the season. He’s an RFA, not UFA.

Unless Botterill intends on acquiring some big contracts from outside the organization, he will be qualified.

If he gets a huge arbitration award, then maybe we will walk away.

You're right, my bad. I jumped the gun there.

Either way I don't see him coming back next season.

Just a thought. After Kane, I doubt Jbot does much at the deadline. After all who wants our garbage? TM failed to trade most of our UFAs last year. Why should Jbot be more successful this year?

Buffalo tradebait

1) Kane

2) Lehner

3) Pouliot

4) Girgensons

A Lehner deal, because he is an RFA is much more likely over the summer, but because he is arbitration eligible that might scare teams away. Pouliot is the one value player we have beside McCabe. We’d be better off re-signing him. Girgensons doesn’t produce enough to get any deadline interest.

In the unlikely event Jbot moves either Reinhart and or Nylander, those are also more likely in the summer.

From 97 Rock this AM

.@ByMHarrington on @MorningBull97: Don't expect #Sabres  to get a 1st round pick for #EvanderKane. That's not gonna happen. A prospect, lower round pick, maybe a low roster player are all possibilities. High draft pick is very, very unlikely. #Buffalo

Umm

From 97 Rock this AM

.@ByMHarrington on @MorningBull97: Don't expect #Sabres  to get a 1st round pick for #EvanderKane. That's not gonna happen. A prospect, lower round pick, maybe a low roster player are all possibilities. High draft pick is very, very unlikely. #Buffalo

Umm

First question that comes to mind, and anyone is free to chime in on this, but what does Harrington know? Does he have connections or has he ever had inside knowledge on the Sabres?