Social Media and Buffalo Sabres

LGR4GM

It should come as a surprise to no one that the classic Buffalo rub is in effect here. The Sabres no doubt interviewed many people for the social media position, but ultimately hired Craig Kanalley, mediocre friend of a friend, to do the job. As is typical in Buffalo, Craig continues to hold the position in the face of overwhelming evidence that he is terrible at it. But someone in the org must like him and so he remains.

To be fair, pretty much every team falls into one of two categories on social media: 1. Boring 2. Cheap knock-off of the LA Kings.  (See: Vegas).

I'd like it to be, you know, at least a bit interesting.  But the Kings-style cut and paste pattern is done to death.  God forbid somebody do somethign original more than one. 

That Vegas tweet at the Habs was pretty funny though. 

It should come as a surprise to no one that the classic Buffalo rub is in effect here. The Sabres no doubt interviewed many people for the social media position, but ultimately hired Craig Kanalley, mediocre friend of a friend, to do the job. As is typical in Buffalo, Craig continues to hold the position in the face of overwhelming evidence that he is terrible at it. But someone in the org must like him and so he remains.

Sounds about right

Effing ow, man. Who's friend was/is he? 

As for the mediocre characterization, I won't disagree based on the content that is pushed. It is a big bucket of *meh*. However, that's not really the digital media editor's fault, per se. The creative people doing the hiring knew what and who they wanted -- and were either not interested in or ignorant to other, bigger, larger possibilities. Who knows. Maybe Kanalley is chomping at the bit to do some funky weird stuff. And maybe the people at PSE aren't having it.

It's for reasons like this that I chirp PSE's devotion to sh1tty pop country music. The overall sense of art and creativity within that organization is unimpressive. They like stuff on the nose, not tongue in cheek.

To be fair, pretty much every team falls into one of two categories on social media: 1. Boring 2. Cheap knock-off of the LA Kings.  (See: Vegas).

I'd like it to be, you know, at least a bit interesting.  But the Kings-style cut and paste pattern is done to death.  God forbid somebody do somethign original more than one. 

That Vegas tweet at the Habs was pretty funny though. 

Spot on. I actually thought the Vegas chirp of MTL was a little bit too ... something. There's a lot of imitation of the LAK Twitter going on -- much of it is quite derivative.

The Dallas one is pretty good IIRC.

DAMMIT. Right. And that's not a cheap knock-off of anything, as I recall. They are good.

Ours may be the worst in the league. 

Report back when, in the midst of the season, you've eyeballed a month's worth of every team's TL. I'm only half kidding.

I just went and looked at the STL Twitter. It seemed quite plain, straightforward.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Spot on. I actually thought the Vegas chirp of MTL was a little bit too ... something. There's a lot of imitation of the LAK Twitter going on -- much of it is quite derivative.

DAMMIT. Right. And that's not a cheap knock-off of anything, as I recall. They are good.

Report back when, in the midst of the season, you've eyeballed a month's worth of every team's TL. I'm only half kidding.

I just went and looked at the STL Twitter. It seemed quite plain, straightforward.

Straightforward is okay if that's all you're trying to do. The problem with Sabres twitter is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it cheeky fun twitter or fairly bland twitter? Who can tell. When it tries to be fun it just comes off as socially inept. 

Effing ow, man. Who's friend was/is he? 

As for the mediocre characterization, I won't disagree based on the content that is pushed. It is a big bucket of *meh*. However, that's not really the digital media editor's fault, per se. The creative people doing the hiring knew what and who they wanted -- and were either not interested in or ignorant to other, bigger, larger possibilities. Who knows. Maybe Kanalley is chomping at the bit to do some funky weird stuff. And maybe the people at PSE aren't having it.

It's for reasons like this that I chirp PSE's devotion to sh1tty pop country music. The overall sense of art and creativity within that organization is unimpressive. They like stuff on the nose, not tongue in cheek.

I wont deny you this point. PSE creative on the whole is pretty lame. But again, they only hire friends of friends there. So why should we be surprised? 

We have Twitter-envy? I wouldn't mind a comedian writing lines for our Twitter feed. It would be entertaining; until something inappropriate is sent out. The forum isn't that of the Late Show; it's a professional sports team so I am not crushed that the feed is pretty vanilla. I don't mind what Vegas is doing but at some point, they'll cross the line and create controversy. Just like you don't see the Twitter feed of many Fortune 500 companies with aggressive posts. (I want to say 'any', but I am sure there's an exception or two.) Hell, our President sends blunt tweets and everyone is outraged.

I will give major props to the production crew and Lauren Hall for their segments that interview the players. They did a couple with the Bills that stand out: One was corny Father's Day jokes, and another was asking players about their Madden ratings. For the Sabres, last week's "which Sabres player had the best summer vacation" was pretty good. I like what they're doing with that.

Straightforward is okay if that's all you're trying to do. The problem with Sabres twitter is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it cheeky fun twitter or fairly bland twitter? Who can tell. When it tries to be fun it just comes off as socially inept. 

Agree with your assessment, I stopped following it. Target audience was maybe 8-12 year olds, or their parents who don't have time to really follow the team? Which is fine, but it wasn't informational or entertaining in any way, at least not for me. 

Edited by Lanny

I wont deny you this point. PSE creative on the whole is pretty lame. But again, they only hire friends of friends there. So why should we be surprised? 

All fair points. 

Again: How do you know that the current digital content editor was a friend of a friend? 

Fwiw, that's how a lot of hiring occurs everywhere. People often want to hire people that come endorsed and recommended as solid people, etc.  

We have Twitter-envy? I wouldn't mind a comedian writing lines for our Twitter feed. It would be entertaining; until something inappropriate is sent out. The forum isn't that of the Late Show; it's a professional sports team so I am not crushed that the feed is pretty vanilla. I don't mind what Vegas is doing but at some point, they'll cross the line and create controversy. Just like you don't see the Twitter feed of many Fortune 500 companies with aggressive posts. (I want to say 'any', but I am sure there's an exception or two.) Hell, our President sends blunt tweets and everyone is outraged.

I will give major props to the production crew and Lauren Hall for their segments that interview the players. They did a couple with the Bills that stand out: One was corny Father's Day jokes, and another was asking players about their Madden ratings. For the Sabres, last week's "which Sabres player had the best summer vacation" was pretty good. I like what they're doing with that.

I have seen some of those from time to time, and agree. Hall is quite lovely (and I mean more than "pretty" -- she has a warm and engaging manner about her) and does a good job. 

Where do those get posted? Twitter? I need to look out for them.

All fair points.

Again: How do you know that the current digital content editor was a friend of a friend?

Fwiw, that's how a lot of hiring occurs everywhere. People often want to hire people that come endorsed and recommended as solid people, etc.

I don't know, but I know, ya know?

It's PSE seems to do things. They look outside because it's what you're supposed to do, but they don't actually want to hire anyone they aren't friends with.

All fair points. 

I have seen some of those from time to time, and agree. Hall is quite lovely (and I mean more than "pretty" -- she has a warm and engaging manner about her) and does a good job. 

Where do those get posted? Twitter? I need to look out for them.

Here are the three I referenced:

Corny Father's Day jokes - Reggie Ragland is the best throughout!

https://t.co/HmqZrQd6oV

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Bills-Players-React-to-Their-Madden-18-Ratings/0e9b81e8-ff5e-46f1-b0e0-77e2b4f6568d

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/909854440202567681

Actually, my suggestion up top- to let Sabretooth do it- might not be a bad idea.  Let me explain: 

Have two accounts:  One is the straightforward bland Official Sabres Twitter.  The other is the Sabretooth Twitter which is the "cheeky fun" official account (to use your description).  Both represent the Sabres in an official capacity.  For those who just want Sabres information, they can follow the Buffalo Sabres twitter.  For those who want a snarkier take on the team, they can follow Sabretooth.

Been trying to post a confused face .gif for a few minutes, and can't.

Anyone else noticed how most of the .gif's out there are now, suddenly it seems, giphy's and that they can't/won't post here?

I'll explain a little. There's a group of people I know who know Craig and who know how PSE does things. They're not subtle about what they think of him and PSE. And based on what I've seen so far from Josie's experiences with PSE, the things others have said seem to check out. PSE isn't trying to hire the best people. It's like in Rochester where someone who worked at Kodak always hires their buddies who worked at Kodak.

Actually, my suggestion up top- to let Sabretooth do it- might not be a bad idea. Let me explain:

Have two accounts: One is the straightforward bland Official Sabres Twitter. The other is the Sabretooth Twitter which is the "cheeky fun" official account (to use your description). Both represent the Sabres in an official capacity. For those who just want Sabres information, they can follow the Buffalo Sabres twitter. For those who want a snarkier take on the team, they can follow Sabretooth.

This is how a lot of colleges do things. Let the mascots talk smack to each other on Twitter. It's fun!

I'll explain a little. There's a group of people I know who know Craig and who know how PSE does things. They're not subtle about what they think of him and PSE. And based on what I've seen so far from Josie's experiences with PSE, the things others have said seem to check out. PSE isn't trying to hire the best people. It's like in Rochester where someone who worked at Kodak always hires their buddies who worked at Kodak.

Fair. 

As I think you know, I don't care for the vision or vibe of much of what PSE does on the creative side of things. They just lack the things I enjoy about modern internet-based humour -- things like irony and self-awareness.

###### sabretooth.

Damn. Death by Curmudgeon-bludgeon.

giphy.gif

Seriously, though. I did this without incident for years. Now, it doesn't work for me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.