This Season I'm Most Excited For...

WildCard

A better roster with a new coaching approach should lead to entertaining hockey for a complete game / season.

Games that really mean something come December and beyond with a push towards the playoffs and being in that chase right to the end of the season.  A reasonable chance to make it in after a sluggish start while the players and coaches get used to each other.

The feeling that there's still a chance when November rolls around.

The D not looking like a complete train wreck. 

Samson R. looking like a 2nd pick of the draft

Also it would be nice if one of the young guys show something besides promise

Can't say I'm really excited for anything.... it's a new system with some new pieces, might take a while before we see any positive results.

ohhh, and the beginning of the downfall of Auston Matthews.

So am I correct in saying your official stance is that Matthews starts to fall apart now?

And what are your definitions for "packing it in", can you give me a timeline and point ranges for his career arc, since you've been so confident about this?

So am I correct in saying your official stance is that Matthews starts to fall apart now?

And what are your definitions for "packing it in", can you give me a timeline and point ranges for his career arc, since you've been so confident about this?

after he signs his next contract I think is what Pi2000 has said in the past. 

That's was he's speculated. Matthews is motivated purely by money which is why he went Euro instead of college before his draft year. He'll continue to be a stud until he gets that long term deal for big money and then once he's cashed in he'll mail it in and start to coast and his numbers will decline.

I want numbers so we KNOW if pi is right or wrong. 

I don't think he's posted future stats or stat ranges, just that once Matthews signs his big contract that he'll lose motivation and then his production will drop.

I don't think he reaches his goal total from last season.    He'll sign his mega-deal next summer, then his production will gradually tail-off and it will get ugly in Toronto.    I'm not giving specific dates, because who knows if he signs his extension next summer, but considering how money hungry he and his family are, I'll bet it happens quickly.     Soon after, there will be questions about commitment and leadership abilities, etc...  sometime during the 2018-19 season.   Culminating in his untimely demise...  

tenor.gif

Correct.

I want numbers so we KNOW when pi is right

Edited by pi2000

I don't think he reaches his goal total from last season.    He'll sign his mega-deal next summer, then his production will gradually tail-off and it will get ugly in Toronto.    I'm not giving specific dates, because who knows if he signs his extension next summer, but considering how money hungry he and his family are, I'll bet it happens quickly.     Soon after, there will be questions about commitment and leadership abilities, etc...  sometime during the 2018-19 season.   Culminating in his untimely demise...  

tenor.gif

Correct.

Damn, you really think it would happen that soon? Don't forget that a team can buyout a player's contract for only 1/3 the amount due if they are under 26 (we did this with Cy Hgsn) so if he's motivated by greed like you seem to think there's still a big incentive for him to perform until that time at least. Or are you assuming he demands that his contract be buyout proof similar to O'Reilly with the bulk of it coming in signing bonus form?

tenor.gif

Correct.

Come on, at least give me a general range. I don't want you weaseling your way out of this as his career makes your claim look like the foolishness that it is.  

Come on, at least give me a general range. I don't want you weaseling your way out of this as his career makes your claim look like the foolishness that it is.

He's saying his goals will go down this season, and his production as a whole will follow suit, relative to earlier seasons, once he signs his deal. I think that's a fairly laid out prediction.

General range for what exactly?   

Say something like "within 3 years of signing his big contract, he's a sub-50 point center."

He's saying his goals will go down this season, and his production as a whole will follow suit, relative to earlier seasons, once he signs his deal. I think that's a fairly laid out prediction.

So what you're saying is when Auston goes 35G-40A-75PTS we have another summer of listening to pi talk about how correct he is. Nice.

Edited by Randall Flagg

As soon as the "Standard 3 Mentioned" became "Crosby, McDavid, Matthews", pi's projection became, ill say it - a hell of a lot more believable, at least in terms of his idea that Matthews will be viewed as a disappointment.

Matthews will not be anywhere close to those other 2 in production. His playmaking abilities, as a centre, are nothing special (relative to what you'd expect from a #1 overall (Matthews is a very good playmaker)). He's widely been anointed as a top 3 player in the game already, and I would guess it's more likely than not he falls short of this.

When the world viewed Matthews as a very good to potentially elite player, likely to fall in the top 10, pi's projection was ludicrous. Auston's production won't drop off a cliff like he postulates, but Matthews being viewed as a disappointment is at least 50/50 at this point, considering Leafs fans legitimately believe he's in the Crosby McDavid class. He's not.

/hot take.

Edited by Thorny

As soon as the "Standard 3 Mentioned" became "Crosby, McDavid, Matthews", pi's projection became, ill say it - a hell of a lot more believable, at least in terms of his idea that Matthews will be viewed as a disappointment.

Matthews will not be anywhere close to those other 2 in production. His playmaking abilities, as a centre, are nothing special (relative to what you'd expect from a #1 overall (Matthews is a very good playmaker)). He's widely been anointed as a top 3 player in the game already, and I would guess it's more likely than not he falls short of this.

When the world viewed Matthews as a very good to potentially elite player, likely to fall in the top 10, pi's projection was ludicrous. Auston's production won't drop off a cliff like he postulates, but Matthews being viewed as a disappointment is at least 50/50 at this point, considering Leafs fans legitimately believe he's in the Crosby McDavid class. He's not.

/hot take.

But he had a whopping 3 fewer assists than elite center playmaker Jack did in his rookie year. Which is acceptable considering he blew Jack's goal totals out of the water. 

You're setting yourself up to be thoroughly miserable during Matthews' career, I'm afraid. 

https://twitter.com/thescore/status/897933485863714816

But he had a whopping 3 fewer assists than elite center playmaker Jack did in his rookie year. Which is acceptable considering he blew Jack's goal totals out of the water.

You're setting yourself up to be thoroughly miserable during Matthews' career, I'm afraid.

No, I'm not. If he's not at Crosby/McDavid's level, I'm satisfied. Do you really think he gets there?

Ya, Eichel had 3 more. Playing with inferior linemates and players in an inferior system. And remember Jack's freakishly slow start to his assist totals that year? He could/should have had ~ 5 or 10 before he actually got his first. No such case with Matthews.

Edited by Thorny

He's not getting to Sid and Connor's level. He was never projected to be such as a prospect, and won't reach that level now. I'll be satisfied, and not miserable.

His best shot at reaching a legitimate conversation with Crosby and McDavid is to become a very good player, and achieve playoff success with a very solid core being built in Toronto.

At that point, he'll achieve Toews status. Eternally overrated.

He's not getting to Sid and Connor's level. He was never projected to be such as a prospect, and won't reach that level now. I'll be satisfied, and not miserable.

His best shot at reaching a legitimate conversation with Crosby and McDavid is to become a very good player, and achieve playoff success with a very solid core being built in Toronto.

At that point, he'll achieve Toews status. Eternally overrated.

I have trouble talking in absolutes like that. 

Auston was 10 when Toews started his career and has already outscored Toews' highest goal total by 6, in a relatively low-scoring NHL.

I agree that it's not likely he plays in the stratosphere of those two. I've become resigned to the idea that he could operate on his own tier in between that one and the next one, by himself. 

The offseason is a time of healing, but I cannot forget the amount of times I wanted to drink myself into a blackout watching him play last year. Luckily I don't really drink. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

That's all fair. I still believe Jack will be as good if not better, but that imduvidual tier you speak of is definitely possible. I was speaking in absolutes for dramatic effect, but of course one can't know.

I do hope you saw my edit of a previous post, referring to Jack and Auston's assist discrepancy in their rookie years, as I truly believe they aren't close on a playmaking level. Matthews is more of a grinder, like Sid, which could very well lead to higher goal totals than Jack.

correct

Say something like "within 3 years of signing his big contract, he's a sub-50 point center."

Within 3 years of signing his big contract his production will decline and there will be questions raised about his commitment level.    Being in the center of the hockey universe in Toronto, this will get ugly.    I don't know that he'll drop to a 50pt player, but somewhere in the 25g/35a/60pt range within 3 years of his mega-deal.     He'll eventually be dealt to ARI where he'll resurrect his career, ableit briefly, before completely flaming out (drugs/alcohol a likely possibility) before the age of 30.

Is that specific enough for you?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.