Star Power: Hockey News Ranks Buffalo 23rd

LGR4GM

It is summer and it is boring... http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/star-power-in-the-nhl-which-teams-have-it-and-how-much-does-it-take-to-win-the-cup 

The Hockey News came up with a list of star power and ranked by tiers. Buffalo ranks 23rd overall with only 2 tier 2 guys and 2 tier 5 guys. I would guess that Jack and Ryan O'Reilly are the 2 tier 2 guys. I would guess Okposo and Kane Reinhart are the Tier 5 guys. 

Here are the tiers.

Tier 1 – Think year-end award candidates.
98.5% - 100.0%

Tier 2 – Think elite players, among the best at their position.
96.5% - 98.5%

Tier 3 – Think all-star calibre talent, among the best in the conference.
94.0% - 96.5%

Tier 4 – Think great players who complement players in the above tiers.
91.0% - 94.0%

Tier 5 – Think very good players who are borderline stars in the right environment.
87.5% - 91.0%

Actually the other tier 5 guy is Reinhart not Evander Kane... so that is interesting. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This list is questionable. Boston well ahead of Edmonton? Don't think so. Jets 2nd overall? If that were the case, they wouldn't be terrible every year.

Well to be fair they're listing star players and acknowledge those players need depth to succeed.

Because he plays with Crosby. 

Sam Reinhart will be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, I think I blacked out briefly. Yes Malkin is overshadowed by Crosby and he is a very a good player in his own right. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I have no problem with someone saying the Sabres are bottom third in "star power."

Jets aren't far off of being a contender man. If they had a goalie they'd be consistently in the playoffs. Above average defense, steadily improving offense. Got alot of really good young guys.

They most definitely have a goalie!

If I were on the outside I would rate the Sabres pretty low, too.  Until they've shown they can win consistently, they will be considered a hot mess.  Edmonton was kind of like that; we knew they were getting better but until last season they were not taken seriously.  Buffalo's in that same purgatory.

I'ma be honest, any list that puts Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnack in "Tier 1" and Nicklas Backstrom, Ryan Getzlaf, and Leon Draisaitl in "Tier 3" doesn't really convince me of its legitimacy.  Then to group players using arbitrarily placed dotted lines and then count the (small) numbers of players in each group for each team isn't a good statistical analysis.  Then try wedge that weak-ass correlation into causation and say wishywashy ###### like "What’s missing from most of those teams at the bottom are Tier 1 players. It’s hard to get far without one ...But having one MVP-calibre player isn’t enough. ...They’re an important piece, but they’re not the only piece and that’s why this kind of analysis is important. It shows how crucial it is to build a core of great players..." He even contradicts himself: "The bottom line is that this league runs on star power...But ... Star power is the start of a good team, and it’s what makes a great team, but they need support around them to become a championship team."

So you need great players.  But you also need lots of good players.  But how those are defined is aribtrary (and highly debatable).

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Jets aren't far off of being a contender man. If they had a goalie they'd be consistently in the playoffs. Above average defense, steadily improving offense. Got alot of really good young guys.

Building from the wing out won't work for them. Their centre depth is nothingness after Scheifele, pros and prospects included. Byfuglien will be falling off a cliff by the time their young players are ready for a run.

And, all of that really has nothing to do with Wheeler being ranked ahead of Malkin. Malkin is an all-time player. He's better than Blake Wheeler by a GOOD margin.

I'ma be honest, any list that puts Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnack in "Tier 1" and Nicklas Backstrom, Ryan Getzlaf, and Leon Draisaitl in "Tier 3" doesn't really convince me of its legitimacy.  Then to group players using arbitrarily placed dotted lines and then count the (small) numbers of players in each group for each team isn't a good statistical analysis.  Then try wedge that weak-ass correlation into causation and say wishywashy ###### like "What’s missing from most of those teams at the bottom are Tier 1 players. It’s hard to get far without one ...But having one MVP-calibre player isn’t enough. ...They’re an important piece, but they’re not the only piece and that’s why this kind of analysis is important. It shows how crucial it is to build a core of great players..." He even contradicts himself: "The bottom line is that this league runs on star power...But ... Star power is the start of a good team, and it’s what makes a great team, but they need support around them to become a championship team."

So you need great players.  But you also need lots of good players.  But how those are defined is aribtrary (and highly debatable).

Agreed. It's a faulty list. And I'm not even arguing about Buffalo's placement.

The author of the article is from Winnipeg. Winnipeg is ranked 2nd overall. The guy says the league is built on "Star Power", and the team with the second most star power missed the playoffs by a good margin? Bogus. Ridiculous bias for a professional article, and a large problem with modern sports journalism. Not an overstatement.

The author is from Winnipeg?! LOL that explains everything now.

Even so, I appreciate the analytical spirit of the article. This is essentially a top 125 NHL player ranking grouped into 5 meaningful tiers.

By the end of next season, I bet an updated list would look more like this for the Sabres:

1. Eichel - tier 1 - moves up one tier (deserves his tier 2 ranking at the moment, but has the talent to move up one)

2. O'Reilly - tier 2 - holds steady (maybe even a little too high, but whatever)

3. Ristolainen - tier 3 - makes a first appearance (should have been on this current list as tier 5...hopefully Housley reduces his minutes a bit to increase performance)

4. Okposo - tier 5 - holds steady (fair assessment)

5. Reinhart - tier 5 - holds steady (has potential to eventually rise a tier or two if he gets moved to center)

6. Kane - tier 5 - makes a first appearance on list (would have already made this list if he had a bit more consistency in his career)

Look at that! That gives us 15 stars next year....enough to be a solid Stanley Cup contender, according to this guy's analysis.

Also, Mittelstadt and Nylander have the talent to make this list in two or three years.

Building from the wing out won't work for them. Their centre depth is nothingness after Scheifele, pros and prospects included. Byfuglien will be falling off a cliff by the time their young players are ready for a run.

And, all of that really has nothing to do with Wheeler being ranked ahead of Malkin. Malkin is an all-time player. He's better than Blake Wheeler by a GOOD margin.

Agreed. It's a faulty list. And I'm not even arguing about Buffalo's placement.

The author of the article is from Winnipeg. Winnipeg is ranked 2nd overall. The guy says the league is built on "Star Power", and the team with the second most star power missed the playoffs by a good margin? Bogus. Ridiculous bias for a professional article, and a large problem with modern sports journalism. Not an overstatement.

Malkin is clearly better. I think maybe he's saying wheeler is to right wing as Malkin is to center. But the article is definitely trash.

However I could see us finishing in the 23rd range, but I wouldn't come to that conclusion from the article.

My reply was geared more towards Winnipeg being headed in the right direction them anything else. Don't let Chevaldayoffs tremendous patience, how conservative he is fool you. They have alot of depth, they could lose buff and be okay. Watch for some of those assets to be flipped for needs (center, goaltending) when the time is right.

If the jets had league average goaltending they would have made the playoffs multiple times already.

The author is from Winnipeg?! LOL that explains everything now.

Even so, I appreciate the analytical spirit of the article. This is essentially a top 125 NHL player ranking grouped into 5 meaningful tiers.

By the end of next season, I bet an updated list would look more like this for the Sabres:

1. Eichel - tier 1 - moves up one tier (deserves his tier 2 ranking at the moment, but has the talent to move up one)

2. O'Reilly - tier 2 - holds steady (maybe even a little too high, but whatever)

3. Ristolainen - tier 3 - makes a first appearance (should have been on this current list as tier 5...hopefully Housley reduces his minutes a bit to increase performance)

4. Okposo - tier 5 - holds steady (fair assessment)

5. Reinhart - tier 5 - holds steady (has potential to eventually rise a tier or two if he gets moved to center)

6. Kane - tier 5 - makes a first appearance on list (would have already made this list if he had a bit more consistency in his career)

Look at that! That gives us 15 stars next year....enough to be a solid Stanley Cup contender, according to this guy's analysis.

Also, Mittelstadt and Nylander have the talent to make this list in two or three years.

Uh oh... You know who else is from Winnipeg right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.