Reinhart vrs Kane?

sweetlou

Who do the fans want going forward long term for the next 7 years? I don't think the Sabres can't financially get them both signed long term. 

The Johnson signing in Tampa was good for the Sabres because at 7 years 35 million that is only an average of 5 million a year.

Looking at career stats-

Kane- 496 games, 157 goals, 143 assist, 300 points, .60 pts/game, -41(+-)

Reinhart- 167 games, 40 goals, 50 assist, 90 points, .53pts/game, -20(+-)

Johnson- 308 games, 89 goals, 122 assist, 211 points, .69pts/game, +58(+-)

If Botterill can get both to sign before the year starts for reasonable contracts then I can see them both staying.  I just don't want to overpay.

Reinhart at a bridge deal of two years 8 million. Still would be a RFA. It would be a couple years for him to prove he is worth a long term contract in the 6-7 million range. It also would keep his AAV down until Pomminstein and Moulsson contracts expire.

I would only sign Kane to a 5 year extension for Okposo type numbers around 6-6.5 million a year. Again if Kane wants longer term and higher AAV I would trade him before the season starts to get someone else in here right away.

Could we sway a Kane to LA trade for Tanner Pearson?

They play very different games, so Rhino will not be a 'replacement' for Kane, ever.

So, both are extremely important pieces to the Sabres future success, IMHO.  

The Sabres will re-sign both to contract extensions, probably this summer, again IMHO.

Let's hope!

We need to keep both and that should be the priority. If we're ever going to move Reinhart to center we're going to need quality wingers to play with these guys. Right now we have 3: Okposo, Kane, and Reinhart. Move Reinhart to center and lose Kane and all we're left with is Okposo and the hopes that Nylander and Mittelstadt not only pan out but develop quickly and start contributing. Or we have to hope that at least some of the guys like Girgensons, Bailey, and Baptiste are ready for permanent scoring line roles.

I prefer Reinhart over Kane and I'd like to remind everyone that Reinhart - at age 21 - is almost 5 full years younger than Kane. That's a very significant age difference when you're talking development for pro hockey. So simple statistical comparisons like career points-per-game aren't at all fair to Sam.

However, I really like Kane as well and strongly disagree with the assumption that we can't keep both long-term.

First, let's define the core. By "core," I mean players who are considered young enough to be around long-term and talented enough to command annual NHL salaries greater than - say - $2 million. So I currently have 8: our 5 top-6 forwards of Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Kane, and Okposo plus the top-2 defensemen line of Ristolainen and Scandella plus the starting goalie, Lehner.

Note that players like McCabe, Guhle, Nylander, and Mittelstadt could eventually join this group, but by that time the NHL salary cap will have increased simultaneously while the contracts for some of the aforementioned core of 8 will have decreased.

4 of the 8 (O'Reilly, Okposo, Ristolainen, Scandella) are already signed to long-enough contracts:

2017-18: $26.4 mill

2018-19: $24.4 mill

2019-20: $22.15 mill

2020-21: $17.4 mill

2021-22: $15.4 mill

Eichel and Lehner will get their new contracts done this summer. I believe we can risk waiting until next summer to do Reinhart's contract because he's a 2nd overall drafted RFA whom other teams won't take in exchange for multiple 1st rounders...but maybe I'm wrong on this assumption? Kane is a tough one...I think the Sabres need to sign him this summer or else will have to just assume that he will leave Buffalo next summer.

Also, everyone please keep in mind that Moulson, Gorges, Bogosian, and Pominville are obviously not part of the future and currently count toward the cap as such:

2017-18: $19.4 mill

2018-19: $14 mill

2019-20: $6 mill

2020-21: $0

2021-22: $0

I will be furious if the new GM gives up on Kane or Reinhart because of $$$ while the likes of these 4 are still on the books.

Paul HamiltonVerified account @pham1717 1m1 minute ago

More

Botterill said they won't be negotiating with 23 until next year

Tells me that our GM is not yet convinced of Sams role on this team. And I agree.

And I am not willing to accept that we have an either or scenario here. Not the same position for starters, even if Sams future is on the wing, he's on the other wing.

I agree that I would love to have both players for the next five years. Financially can the Sabres pull it off.  

Let's say they lock up Eichel for 8 years at 10 a year.

ROR AAV is 7.5 and expires in 2023

Okposo AAV is 6 and expires in 2023

Risto AAV is 5.4 and expires in 2022

Bogo AAV is 5.1 and expires in 2020

That is 35 mil tied up in only 5 players

I think Botterill is waiting until after this year on Reinhart not only just to evaluate his play himself but also to be able to see what happens with younger players development. 

If they can get Kane signed for 4 years AAV of 6.5 say (6,6,7,7) he would still be 29 and can sign a larger contract as the salary cap goes up.  With the type of reckless game he plays I don't want Kane on a long term contract.

I agree not even close. One is a misplaced center the other a power forward. Why not compare Okposo and Kane if anything? I'm resigned to the thought that we will most likely lose Kane anyway barring a hometown discount.

The only hometown discount Kane might see is in Vancouver.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.