Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3XU4uvfkw

A reminder that we have one of a handful of current NHLers that can pull off a transition like this

You are right.  What a beautiful shot.  So well timed and placed.  Eich's moves were pretty sweet too.

;)

I remain confident we can get him under 10. 

I think we will. 

Not me.  IMHO he's not going to look at McD's contract and then agree to something in single-digit millions (cry me a river!)

And a 10 million dollar per season contract for Jack contact DOES mean that McDavid is making significantly more. Eichel's points pace last season was roughly 80% of what Connor's was. 10 mil a season is 80% McDavid's 12.5. 10 mil a season is an accurate number for Eichel, when comparing and contrasting the 2 players. He's not going to get 9 million, 1m more than Ryan Johansen.

This.

On July 1, 2018 an unsigned Eichel will get at least one likely more offer sheets.  You can't offer sheet someone under contract.  If the Sabres are trying to save a few pennies or make a statement to Jack to remind him he is not as good as Conner, I think he signs one.  I would.  If your Vegas, Carolina, NYI, or Montreal you would do an instant rebuild.  Little downside.  

The offer sheet is an interesting scenario.  They are so rare -- I think even Stamkos didn't get one -- but it would be crazy to rely on that, as the downside is enormous.

I don't know what he's actually worth as the team around him was so bad we have no real sense of how good he can be. All I know is they have to lock him down for the long term and hope it works. Myself, I expect his numbers to go way up if Housley can get this team playing with the kind of speed and quick puck movement I know in theory, he wants them to do. Can't count the number of times last year Jack was alone with no one to pass to, no one moving at his deceptive pace. Have to get Reinhart off his wing and find someone who can skate with him and develop chemistry at a higher tempo. 

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded.

Great post, WC.

Seconded.

Thirded.

I honestly don't think the issue with Jack will be the money but rather the term. 

Why?  Do you not think both sides want 8 years?

Not me.  IMHO he's not going to look at McD's contract and then agree to something in single-digit millions (cry me a river!)

This.

The offer sheet is an interesting scenario.  They are so rare -- I think even Stamkos didn't get one -- but it would be crazy to rely on that, as the downside is enormous.

Thirded.

9.85 is under 10.  I could see him anywhere in the 9.5-10.5 range. 

This.

Thirded.

Not convinced Jack wants to be a Sabre for his career. The way this team has been run why would he? 

Just read and article saying that Eichel should only get between 7.2 to 8.5 million... I didn't know that it was still 2014.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/boston-bruins-leon-draisaitl-edmonton-oilers-david-pastrnak-peter-chiarelli[/size]

I've come to accept recently that non-Sabres fans generally just refuse to see Eichel for what he is. He'll be externally undervalued, much like I thought Reinhart would be (him even more so). I get it with Sam, as he's a very good player, but not a great one. Jack is a star, so it can get frustrating.

Jack will be a top 10 player for years, being ranked below the Toews and Laines and Matthews and Marners of the world continually. Whatever.

Edited by Thorny

Backstrom is a good comparison here. Rarely is he talked about among the League's best. But year after year he's top 5/10 in points. The media and hockey coverage as a whole just gavitates towards certain players and leaves others out.

Toews v Kopitar is another good example.

We got a guy who's always going to be on the underrated side of the ledger. Just the way it is.

Just win baby.

I don't buy the team accomplishment argument to rank a player's worth, and never have.

Dan Marino is still a top 10 QB all time.

Edited by Thorny

I really don't think so. At the end of the day, paces don't look that great. You need to play the games and show the production. If Jack had played 82 and scored 40, and Matthews was 57 in 61, Jack would be talked about more even accounting for the Toronto gravitation, because a 20 year old who is second in NHL goal scoring is more interesting than a 20 year old who had 57points at a 76 point pace or whatever it was. 

Jack goes out and puts up 35-50-85 next season, finishing clearly ahead of all of his peers save McDavid, and he will be talked about. 

I really don't think so. At the end of the day, paces don't look that great. You need to play the games and show the production. If Jack had played 82 and scored 40, and Matthews was 57 in 61, Jack would be talked about more even accounting for the Toronto gravitation, because a 20 year old who is second in NHL goal scoring is more interesting than a 20 year old who had 57points at a 76 point pace or whatever it was. 

Jack goes out and puts up 35-50-85 next season, finishing clearly ahead of all of his peers save McDavid, and he will be talked about.

Again, it depends what you mean by talked about. Will he be talked about more? Sure. Regardless of whether you think Eichel should have been talked about as much as the Matthews of the world this past season, he should have been talked about more, for what he did do. He wasn't. Plenty of players get hyped up for the games they did play, even when they don't play them all.

It stands to follow that any recognition going forward could easily follow the same pattern: not as much as deserved.

Anyone that thinks Eichel should be paid 7-8 million is proving my point. As is the Hockey News Ranking that had Jack at 25. He's undervalued and will continue to be.

Like I said, just ask Backstrom. It happens.

Again, it depends what you mean by talked about. Will he be talked about more? Sure. Regardless of whether you think Eichel should have been talked about as much as the Matthews of the world this past season, he should have been talked about more, for what he did do. He wasn't. Plenty of players get hyped up for the games they did play, even when they don't play them all.

It stands to follow that any recognition going forward could easily follow the same pattern: not as much as deserved.

Anyone that thinks Eichel should be paid 7-8 million is proving my point. As is the Hockey News Ranking that had Jack at 25. He's undervalued and will continue to be.

I think he was talked about plenty. Any NBCSN/NBC game the Sabres were in, they drooled about him the whole time and during pregame/postgame. NHL Network also made points to focus on him. Among fans, there were loads of Eichel threads on hfboard broader NHL discussion. Maybe TSN "dissed" him the way they dissed anyone that isn't named Matthews or McDavid, but nobody cares what they think. And I'm sure he was talked about anyway. Leafs broadcasters in games were very complimentary. 

"The Edmonton Journal" mentioning that they think Draisaitl is better is hardly shocking or upsetting to me, and I'm sure that kind of stuff is regular among local markets. 

Putting Jack at 25th in the world going into this season is incredibly fair. 11th in scoring rate, horrendous defensively, and throw in a couple goalies and a few more defensemen? Absolutely. 

I think he was talked about plenty. Any NBCSN/NBC game the Sabres were in, they drooled about him the whole time and during pregame/postgame. NHL Network also made points to focus on him. Among fans, there were loads of Eichel threads on hfboard broader NHL discussion. Maybe TSN "dissed" him the way they dissed anyone that isn't named Matthews or McDavid, but nobody cares what they think. And I'm sure he was talked about anyway. Leafs broadcasters in games were very complimentary.

"The Edmonton Journal" mentioning that they think Draisaitl is better is hardly shocking or upsetting to me, and I'm sure that kind of stuff is regular among local markets.

Putting Jack at 25th in the world going into this season is incredibly fair. 11th in scoring rate, horrendous defensively, and throw in a couple goalies and a few more defensemen? Absolutely.

Dude, go on Twitter and read any post about Eichel contract negotiations. There isn't a single soul outside of Buffalo (except me, apparently) that thinks Eichel deserves a shade over 8 mil. The mainstream hockey world barely knows who this guy is.

I also can't stress enough that I may be influenced by my geographical location. Unlike in the States, it's wall to wall hockey coverage here, all the time. He's barely mentioned. Maybe it's different in the USA. Over here, he is 100% undercovered.

And that's just nationwide stuff.

In Winnipeg, Kyle Connor is better than Jack Eichel.

I think we both have to accept here that we might both be right. You guys must be hearing about him over there, cause he sure as heck isn't being talked about here.

No one likes Jack Eichel in Canada. Not to mention, the hockey world fan base as a whole has run away with the "Eichel controls the team" narrative, and assassinate his character accordingly.

And for the record, Eichel shouldn't be below Laine on that list, for one, so it's definitely not incredibly fair. You've said as much yourself.

Edited by Thorny

Dude, go on Twitter and read any post about Eichel contract negotiations. There isn't a single soul outside of Buffalo (except me, apparently) that thinks Eichel deserves a shade over 8 mil. The mainstream hockey world barely knows who this guy is.

I also can't stress enough that I may be influenced by my geographical location. Unlike in the States, it's wall to wall hockey coverage here, all the time. He's barely mentioned. Maybe it's different in the USA. Over here, he is 100% undercovered.

And that's just nationwide stuff.

In Winnipeg, Kyle Connor is better than Jack Eichel.

I think we both have to accept here that we might both be right. You guys must be hearing about him over there, cause he sure as heck isn't being talked about here.

No one likes Jack Eichel in Canada. Not to mention, the hockey world fan base as a whole has run away with the "Eichel controls the team" narrative, and assassinate his character accordingly.

And for the record, Eichel shouldn't be below Laine on that list, for one, so it's definitely not incredibly fair. You've said as much yourself.

Yeah, must be national. The hf thread on his contract reads just like ours here, and our media loves him. 

Just move to Buffalo breh