GASabresIUFAN

58 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Jbot's overall draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I give Jbot and his team a C for their first draft effort.  Filled one need at G, added no D worth mentioning, but did upgrade the over speed and potential offensive talent in the pipeline with the exception of high end scoring.  He also does get a kudos for trading a 3rd for Baloo.

I like the pick of Mittelstadt at 8.  While I'm not a huge fan of "BPA," when a player this talented, who should have gone in the top 5 falls to you at 8 you take him.  A-

I'm warming to the pick of Davidsson at 37.  He reminds me of Nylander.  I thought he was a bit of a reach at 37 and was a player who, with Mittelstadt, Nylander, Asplund and Pu, already in the pipeline wasn't a necessary selection.  We needed a top 2 rd talent at D in the system and again our GM failed to deliver.  However, once Timmins and Hague were gone, I can understand us not reaching for a guy.  That said, 7 D came off the board between our 2 2nd rd selections.  I have a feeling we'll regret not taking one.  Maybe Jbot should have traded down here.  I also would have preferred a sniper like Jason Robertson who was also still available at 37. C+

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - Top rated Euro goalie with a consensus rating well above 54.  With Peterson jumping ship, and only Johansson in the pipeline,  I fully understand  and like this pick. A

Oskari Laaksonen - at 89.  One of the worst picks on paper I can remember.  Obviously the kid has grown and our scouts like him.  However to use our 3rd on the project is crazy.  He would have been available in the 5th rd.  Remember he wasn't on any prospect watcher's board (or CSS or ISS).  Other teams may know he existed, but no one else was drafting him this high.  Easily could have traded pick and moved down and still drafted him.  He may turn out to be Tobie Enstrom someday, but don't hold your breath.  F

Jacob Bryson - at 99.  I get it, Jbot loves overage college kids and it has worked for him.  However he also would have been around a round or two later.  The only chart I saw him on had him as the 167 best player in this draft.   He is also 5'9.  F

Linus Weissbach - at 161.  This is a very Jbot type selection and reminds me of TM's drafting of Olofsson.  We are unlikely to see Olofsson in Buffalo, and I doubt this kid will make an impact with us either. C.

Edited by GASabresFan

I gave it a D, and I did so as a fan. I've been anticipating Liljegren, Makar etc for months now, as have most of us. I'm not JB though, and I do trust his judgement.

I understand the BPA approach as it has to do with the mathematical aspect of a prospect making the league and so on. I also understand that JB is building two teams not one, and wants speed. The only pick I'm really happy about is the goalie in the third round. The Casey pick is beginning to grow on me a bit I suppose but Toronto getting Liljegren at #17, yeah that stung. After the third round or so I don't really pay much attention.

This would be like me asking the Classical Mechanics prof for my current grade as soon as he hands out the syllabus on the first day of class 

He could pull something out of his ass but it will be a worthless piece of information

Hard to disagree, though I think this is more of just a fan reaction poll type of thing and not definitive.

Off the top of your head, can anyone name the 4th round picks or later in the last 5 years we've had? There's 2, maybe 3 posters that can get all of them (though I doubt it), a handful that can name a handful, and the rest of us can't remember any of them

Off the top of your head, can anyone name the 4th round picks or later in the last 5 years we've had? There's 2, maybe 3 posters that can get all of them (though I doubt it), a handful that can name a handful, and the rest of us can't remember any of them

All I can remember off the top of my head is Miller, and I believe that was a fifth or sixth round pick. So yes to your point it's a fluke if they play in the NHL that late in the draft I'm sure. Sorry just saw the five years stipulation, none I can remember.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Petersen   :)

UIlmark, Peterson, Petersen, Estephan, Willman, Florentino, Malone, Possler, Oloffson, Brown, Austin, the great Logan Nelson, Stephens, Borgen (4th rd), Hagel, Glotov, Osmanski.  That's all I can think of right now.  I know I'm missing a couple

Edited by GASabresFan

Petersen   :)

UIlmark, Peterson, Petersen, Estephan, Willman, Florentino, Malone, Possler, Oloffson, Brown, Austin, the great Logan Nelson, Stephens, Borgen (4th rd), Hagel, Glotov, Osmanski.  That's all I can think of right now.  I know I'm missing a couple

Who the hell even are these people??

"Coming in in May, you don't have the relationships with the scouting staff, you don't know how things have gone at the mid-season meetings and the discussions there," said Botterill, who spent the past 10 seasons with the Penguins in a variety of roles. "It was a learning process. I think next year, they are going to have a familiarity of what we are looking for from players, what we feel is a Buffalo Sabres player and what we want to bring to the organization."

https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-jason-botterill-makes-most-of-six-2017-nhl-draft-selections/c-290140902?tid=277764372

Hagel, Osmanski, Nyberg, Budik?, Murray, Estephan (didn't sign), could probably get a few more but by no means anywhere close to all.

Hagel actually does look promising.

This would be like me asking the Classical Mechanics prof for my current grade as soon as he hands out the syllabus on the first day of class 

He could pull something out of his ass but it will be a worthless piece of information

I agree, but this is a fan message board so that's kinda what we're here for, so I'll guess, for this draft, an overall grade of B+.

Mittelstadt could turn out to be the best player in the draft. Wish we woulda got a blue chip defender, but overall it was a balanced draft.

Who the hell even are these people??

Peterson plays for St Cloud st I believe.  Is a 7th rd pick and a scoring forward.  He is unlikely to get offered a contract.

Willman and Brown are two college forwards.  I believe Brown Dad and Uncle played in the NHL.  Both showed good improvement last year.

Austin is a hulking D, was Zadorov's partner in the CHL and earned a call up last year and didn't look out of place.

Stephens is a two way D, who will be on the Amerks next year on the 1st yr of his ELC,

Hagel, Glotov and Osmanski were drafted last year.  Glotov is a 7th rd Russian who played his first year in NA in the CHL last year and could be a surprise prospect.

Sean Malone is one of my favorite prospects.  Just graduated Harvard and was one of their top players.  Kid is from Buffalo and started off at Nichols (my alma mater), played some for the USNTDP and is a smallish, hard charging center.  He is in Rochester next season on the first year of his ELC.  

Does this help.

Edited by GASabresFan

Petersen :)

UIlmark, Peterson, Petersen, Estephan, Willman, Florentino, Malone, Possler, Oloffson, Brown, Austin, the great Logan Nelson, Stephens, Borgen (4th rd), Hagel, Glotov, Osmanski. That's all I can think of right now. I know I'm missing a couple

You are either googling the out of this or you have a special kind of psychosis that I'm not very comfortable with.

As many already have said in this thread, it's way too early to even guess, but that's no fun.

I actually liked this draft a lot for the Sabres. Mittlesstadt and Davidsson provide high-flying offensive potential. Everybody keeps talking about picking defense for the sake of picking defense, but our left wing spot looks weak as well down the pipeline. The pick of the goaltender UKL is a fantastic one. He has put up some really impressive numbers in the youth leagues in Finland and with the youth national team. UKL may be the best goalie in this draft class. It's too early to project if he will continue to get better, but so far he's on the right path and i cant wait to see what type of player he will be after he plays the next 2 years in the top Finnish league.

Laaksonen and Weissbach are very interesting picks. I don't know much about them and even reading up on them post-draft there isn't much info available, but both look like we aimed for the stars. High risk, high reward type of guys. When the odds are so much against you picking successful NHLers in rounds 3 and essp 7, i think it's wise to aim for the stars and give them all the tools they need to develop and hope everything works out.

I was pleased with the draft.

I was just review Baker's draft preview and a few things occurred to me.  http://www.sabresprospects.com/2017/06/buffalo-sabres-2017-draft-preview.html

1) Baker said Center was our deepest position, with ROR, Jack, Sam plus Asplund, Pu, emerging Chris Brown plus Malone.

2) Jbot just added centers Middelstadt and Davidsson to an already crowded center pipeline.  

This raised one thought and one question.

1) I ultimately don't mind have an overload of high end talent down the middle because after D it's the most in demand position in the NHL, some can transition to wing and Regier never drafted any and we saw the results of that.

2) But what does that say about Jbot's opinion of TM's prospects?

I was just review Baker's draft preview and a few things occurred to me.  http://www.sabresprospects.com/2017/06/buffalo-sabres-2017-draft-preview.html

1) Baker said Center was our deepest position, with ROR, Jack, Sam plus Asplund, Pu, emerging Chris Brown plus Malone.

2) Jbot just added centers Middelstadt and Davidsson to an already crowded center pipeline.  

This raised one thought and one question.

1) I ultimately don't mind have an overload of high end talent down the middle because after D it's the most in demand position in the NHL, some can transition to wing and Regier never drafted any and we saw the results of that.

2) But what does that say about Jbot's opinion of TM's prospects?

Davidsson is primarily a wing. Thats where he played most of last season and where he will continue to play for his club and for Sweden at the WJC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.