Clean house of the hangers-on?

PASabreFan

Uh oh. I just wrote in the GM thread that anyone can sharpen a skate. Are there all-star sharpeners?

There are definitely guys that CAN'T sharpen skates.

And there are guys that, when you see them working in the pro shop, make you decide it's time to get them sharpened. It's definitely an art and some guys that can do a great job on a rockered pair of a forward's skates couldn't sharpen goalie skates if their life depended on it. And vice versa.

And there are guys that, when you see them working in the pro shop, make you decide it's time to get them sharpened. It's definitely an art and some guys that can do a great job on a rockered pair of a forward's skates couldn't sharpen goalie skates if their life depended on it. And vice versa.

Well yeah, as I found out when I was learning to skate. What I meant was in the NHL ranks it shouldn't be hard to find someone who can professionally sharpen skates.

My only experience is with my son's rep hockey, but some are better.

Do you guys want to be inundated with Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre staff?

Yes. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Well yeah, as I found out when I was learning to skate. What I meant was in the NHL ranks it shouldn't be hard to find someone who can professionally sharpen skates.

Yes. What's the worst thing that can happen?

I get this and there is a need to change the culture. You also need a few people who want to be in Buffalo, not just looking at a stepping stone and a raise.

These guys can bring in their hangers on from other organizations.

I suppose I should just show myself out now.

Let me get the door and follow you out.

True art form.

As for the Rip hate?  C'mon... this team can't make the playoffs and you are all worried about numbers.  Here's the number that matters.. lack of W's.  Perhaps Rip chooses a high number as his subtle way of saying they need to aim higher?  You ever think about that?  :)

He gave Kennedy 58 when we were a division winner and gave MacArthur 41 when we were the best team in the NHL, I don't think it's that. I think it's a stupid form of incredibly mild hazing that is pointless and makes watching the team even more of an eyesore than it already is. We saw 73, 71, and 70 zooming around with 63, 48, 49, and 52 this season. ###### that. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

He gave Kennedy 58 when we were a division winner and gave MacArthur 41 when we were the best team in the NHL, I don't think it's that. I think it's a stupid form of incredibly mild hazing that is pointless and makes watching the team even more of an eyesore than it already is. We saw 73, 71, and 70 zooming around with 63, 48, 49, and 52 this season. ###### that. 

Thanks for putting some meat on the bone. I remember Ted Black talking about the million little things you do to win. Letting players pick their number could be one of them. These are weird, superstitious cats.

Youinz  will need an interpreter.

:flirt:

Meh.  You get a number that's not well known?  Become a star and everyone will know it.  Stu Barnes rocked #41.  Mogilny's 89 is the stuff of legend.  Because of the player, not because of the number.  This whole discussion is idiotic.

Edited by Doohickie

Since the masseur is gone, what about the rest? The trainers, equipment managers, medical staff, security, in-house media and PR people, even the broadcast crew (except Rick, of course). Is it at all important to wipe clean the slate of people who have a big impact on how the players play, how the players feel about the franchise?

I'm always intrigued by how teams, over decades sometimes, have certain places where they play well and certain places where they suck. Is it because they hear all the hangers-on talking about how "we never win in St. Louis"?

I wouldn't mind Botterill and Coach Gordie putting their own people in all of these positions, even replacing the Mays and the Rays. A totally fresh start.

And, yeah, for this I'm mostly thinking of someone like Rip and his ridiculous numbers. Perfect example.

Yeah! The media creative too! Oh wait. They just won an Emmy Award.

I'd include the lame people in charge of the in-game experience, Doug Allen, the embarrassingly lame national anthem singer, the lame promotion people, the lame organist and most of all lame Sabretooth. Hit the road!

Troll

:flirt:

Meh.  You get a number that's not well known?  Become a star and everyone will know it.  Stu Barnes rocked #41.  Mogilny's 89 is the stuff of legend.  Because of the player, not because of the number.  This whole discussion is idiotic.

I just don't see why the player shouldn't be able to decide to do it, though. There would still be guys picking those numbers, they'd just be happier with them. 

"Yeah, well scientifically, tradition is an idiot thing." - Rick Sanchezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This is very true, and I learned it with goalie skates, there only a couple places I will ever take my skates to get sharpened because of it

One time I took my goalie skates to get sharpened before a game. Knowing they need to be done differently then regualr skates, I asked if they did them. The sharpener said no problem they do them and took my skates and started to sharpen them. A few minutes later he tells me it might be a while they were bad and whomever did them before didn't do them correctly.

So I get them back and that night step onto the ice and almost end up flat on my face because I couldn't move in them, they were like my feet were locked on rails. I couldn't move side to side, only front to back.

I went to another place where the guy doing them played goalie also a few days later and he fixed them for me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.