Off-season Gameplan and wish list

GASabresIUFAN

1) 3 new defenseman - One puck mover to spell Risto, one good skating stay at home guy (Lydman type), and a spot for Guhle (Buy out Gorges and don't re-sign Kulikov and Franson). Guys like Alzner, Vatanen, DeHaan, Hickey, Brodin, Theodore, and Montour. I also would mind getting a cheap vet like Hunwick, Seidenberg, Engelland or Quincey to add depth and experience and injury insurance. Brodin seems to be the guy I keep coming back to. He is young, overpaid, but very talented and could be another D cornerstone for years to come.

2) New leadership - Captain ROR, Assts Jack and Risto

3) 2 of Bailey, Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching or Erod full time in the NHL, which may mean the replacement of Ennis, Gionta and or Moulson.

4) Re-sign Larsson, Girgensons and Foligno. I'm Ok with moving one if it helps get a puck moving D.

5) 4th line veteran center and penalty killer. We need someone can take PK draws to lessen the burdens on ROR. I wonder if Wash would trade us Jay Beagle?

6) We also need a top line LW to play with ROR and Okposo for a year or two. Don't laugh, but Vanek on a two year deal? Crazy? I like the idea of his net front presence on the 2nd PP.

PS This is not another thread to bash DD

Potential roster

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Vanek ROR Okposo

Foligno Girgensons Bailey

Carrier Beagle Moulson

(I think we lose Ennis to expansion and are stuck with Moulson for one more season)

McCabe Risto

Alzner Brodin

Guhle Bogo

Falk Quincey

Lehner

Ullmark

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1) 3 new defenseman - One puck mover to spell Risto, one good skating stay at home guy (Lydman type), and a spot for Guhle (Buy out Gorges and don't re-sign Kulikov and Franson).  Guys like Alzner, Vatanen, DeHaan, Hickey, Brodin, Theodore, and Montour.  I also would mind getting a cheap vet like Hunwick, Seidenberg, Engelland or Quincey to add depth and experience and injury insurance.  Brodin seems to be the guy I keep coming back to.  He is young, overpaid, but very talented and could be another D cornerstone for years to come.

3) 2 of Bailey, Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching or Erod full time in the NHL, which may mean the replacement of Ennis, Gionta and or Moulson.  

4) Re-sign Larsson, Girgensons and Foligno.  I'm Ok with moving one if it helps get a puck moving D.

5) 4th line veteran center and penalty killer.  We need someone can take PK draws to lessen the burdens on ROR.  I wonder if Wash would trade us Jay Beagle?

6) We also need a top line LW to play with ROR and Okposo for a year or two. Don't laugh, but Vanek on a two year deal? Crazy? I like the idea of his net front presence on the 2nd PP.

Potential roster

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Vanek ROR Okposo

Carrier Beagle Moulson

(I think we lose Ennis to expansion and are stuck with Moulson for one more season)

McCabe Risto

Alzner Brodin

Guhle Bogo

Falk Quincey

Lehner

Ullmark

Ad for #3, your going to get your wish, at least on Carrier, Rodriguez, Bailey and Baptiste.

Hell maybe even Guhle at the rate this defense is going.

Not bad, but NO to Vanek.  I have had more than enough of that sour puss.

It will to interesting to see how he performs this playoffs.  If he sucks again I might change my mind, but I'm wondering if his NHL wandering the last few years may have made him mature as a person. 

Speed an youth through the roster. That means Guhle, Baptiste, Bailey, Carrier, Fasching (I know his game isnt speed) and Nylander (maybe half the season), and Asplund.

No more Gionta, Moulson, Ennis, Fransen, Gorges (maybe 7th dman). A healthy Kulikov, an extension for Kane (meaning he has stayed out of trouble), a full season of Eichel healthy, a new coach and a play-off spot.

Speed an youth through the roster. That means Guhle, Baptiste, Bailey, Carrier, Fasching (I know his game isnt speed) and Nylander (maybe half the season), and Asplund.

No more Gionta, Moulson, Ennis, Fransen, Gorges (maybe 7th dman). A healthy Kulikov, an extension for Kane (meaning he has stayed out of trouble), a full season of Eichel healthy, a new coach and a play-off spot.

I wish Asplund and Nylander were ready. Guhle might be

I agree on Guhle.  I think he has a spot penciled in.  He almost earned a spot out of camp the last 2 years and didn't look out of place in his brief callup.  

The one I want to see is Borgen.  I was real impressed with him in the World Jrs 2 years ago and his smart stay at home play in the NCAA makes me think he might be able to make a quick transition to the NHL.  

Nylander is going to need at least one more year in the AHL and Asplund should also need 1-2 years in NA before being ready.

I wish Asplund and Nylander were ready. Guhle might be

Asplund and Nylander are probably ready to play together in the AHL next year. It worked in the WJC so you could pair them down there for a year to figure out the North American game together.

Guhle is ready to play in the NHL but he's probably not ready to be a huge help. There's a big difference between looking good in a few games and playing 82 games in the NHL. He'll probably suck for at least part of next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, 

Forwards

OReilly, Okposo Carrier

Eichel Reinhardt and Kane, 

Rodriquez, Foligno and Bailey

Girgenson, Baptiste and Gionta

Subs Vanek and Moulson

D

Risto and McCabe

Ghule and Traded for D or signed a la Shatenkirk

Draft pic and Bogo

Subs

Falk, Fedun, Franson

Goalies *Same  Lehner and Nillson

Edited by North Buffalo

I love the idea of signing Shattenkirk except for one small problem...with Bogo, Moulson and Ennis still on the payroll, there isn;t room to sign him. That would take at least 7 mil over 7 years and we would need to lose some serious payroll before being able to do this signing. Obviously teams are already licking their chops at th echance of signing a premier Number 1 stud defenseman, and the list of teams will be long and there will be very heavy bidding..not sure why he'd want to come here when he can go to a cup contender like Pittsburg who could use him. As well, getting any other d-man from anybody will take a huge package of picks and young players who we do wish to lose, and again there will be many other teams after these d-men such as anybody from Anaheim. There is little doubt our forwards are very good and there is no need to tinker there. Goaltending??????

The cap really isn't an issue for next season. It is for the season after.

Next season, If I assume 2 of Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching & Carrier make the team and Guhle also males the team, then we have 10 forwards + 6 defense under contract for only $50, plus RFA's Erod, Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno, Lehner and Ullmark. Assuming all these RFA's return thst will cost another 11-12 million, leaving us a potentially full roster with 11-13 million in cap space to improve the club.

If the team was good, this would be an easy off-season, but it's not.

1) We need at least two additional D, maybe 3 if Gorges is waived or bought out and possibly 4 if Guhle doesn't make the team as I predict we'll start the year with 8 D in the NHL so we don't have to draw players from the AHL and so we can absord some injuries.

2) We have 14 forwards under contract or under control. However I doubt we'll be picking our top 13 out of the guys mentioned. There is a good chance that UFA Gionta returns. We need a legit faceoff winning Pk killing 4th line center. (Is it possible Larsson grows into this role?) We need additional scoring help on the wings, although there is a chance that GMTM throws the kids into those roles to see if they can produce.

3) Nilsson has also earned a new contract, but if Ullmark is re-signed, then Nilsson will probably need to find work elsewhere. GMTM's ability to sign Cal Petersen might also effect this, because we also need goaltending in Roch.

We are unlikely to get immediate help in the draft, but we will get a top 10 player and based on projections that will likely be a defensemen. Nylander is also far from ready.

Edited by yse325

Craig Constance has a gameplan for the Sabres. Anyone have an ESPN insider account? http://www.espn.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=8933

I'm on it...

Source: ESPN 

Craig Constance

How the Sabres take the next step

Goalie Robin Lehner has been through this before. Actually, this has been going on pretty much his entire career. The Buffalo Sabres goalie is now 25 years old, but he speaks with the wisdom of a veteran who is now in his fifth season on rebuilding teams, first with the Ottawa Senators and now with the Sabres.

He was coming off an impressive win over the Red Wings on Monday night, stopping 34 of 35 shots, to improve his save percentage this season to .922. There might be some issues in Buffalo, which we’ll get to, but goaltending hasn’t been one of them.

He was feeling reflective as he sat and chatted. Maybe he’s always that way. Either way, it was insight that only comes when you have a vantage point better than just about anyone in the building.

This was supposed to be the season we saw real growth from the Sabres. Maybe not Stanley Cup material, but certainly pushing for a playoff spot in mid-March. Instead, they’re back in the draft lottery.
Making it worse, the teams that dropped to the bottom of the standings with them have lifted themselves out of it. On Monday, the Maple Leafs beat the Bruins in a game that may be the one we point to as the reason they made the playoffs. They’re currently in the second wild-card spot.

The Edmonton Oilers? On Monday, they beat the Kings. Shut them out. Basically crushed the Kings' playoff hopes in the latest signal that the power is shifting dramatically out West. It wasn’t all that long ago that the Oilers had no business playing on the same sheet of ice as the Kings.

“You just don’t wake up one year and go to the playoffs,” Lehner said, echoing the words of his teammates. “It just takes time.”

And effort. And maturity. And a little bit of luck, which the Sabres certainly didn’t have this season.

But the maturity part? That seems to be the sticking point for this group of Sabres.

Lehner shared the moment he can just about pinpoint where the season went off the rails. Or as teammate Jack Eichel so eloquently put it earlier in the day, “the s--- hit the fan.”

The Sabres won three of four games heading into their late-February bye week. It looked like with the team finally healthy, they were going to make their long-awaited run.

Their first practice was in Colorado coming out of the break, and between time off and the elevation, it was a tough one.

“It was a lot of people who couldn’t really breathe,” Lehner said.

A game plan was set. The Sabres talked about playing a simple game coming out of the bye week. Don’t try to do too much. Get pucks in deep, all that.

They lost to Colorado that first game. Then they lost to Arizona, making it two straight losses to two of the worst teams in the league. Then came an overtime loss to the Predators, and after a win against the Coyotes, the wheels completely fell off.

The idea of playing a simple game coming out of the break? That was abandoned too quickly for Lehner’s tastes.

“I did not believe we played simple,” he said.

For him, it comes back to one thing.

“Again. Maturity,” he said. “If we’re going to play a high offensive game, we’ve really got to fine tune our details defensively. We’re putting a lot of energy going forward to score goals, make plays.”

Maybe not enough energy to prevent turnovers and prevent odd-man rushes.

“That’s a lot of what’s cost us,” Lehner said. “We look at every game afterward and there’s been a lot of tight games this year. A lot of the goals scored against us have been off turnovers and odd-man rushes from the offensive zone. That’s just going to come with maturity.”

Consistency also comes with maturity, and it’s something the Sabres clearly don’t have at this point in the process.

You see glimpses of real progress. There are impressive wins over the Blues or Ducks or Sharks or Senators. Then comes an ugly loss to the Coyotes or Flyers or Avalanche. This team isn’t good enough yet not to show up every night with a focused, game. It’s still realizing that.

“We don’t show up every night,” said captain Brian Gionta. “We don’t play the same way. We’re too scattered night in and night out. You never know what kind of effort you’re going to get.”

If that doesn’t sum up the Sabres' season, nothing will.

It’s not like there haven’t been positives.

Jack Eichel is completely healthy after starting his season with a high-ankle sprain, and his offensive production reflects it. Sabres coach Dan Bylsma estimated that he saw Eichel really start to hit his stride on February 1. He has 29 points in 24 games since then, a total topped only by Patrick Kane and equaled by Brad Marchand. Those are two guys very much in the Hart Trophy race.

He’s re-established himself in the conversation with Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews as the best young players in the game. He’s been that good.

Bylsma has seen real growth in Eichel’s defensive play, and had him out protecting a lead late in Monday’s game. Watching Eichel using his speed to track back on the puck and make plays defensively has become commonplace. He’s also improving his game in the defensive zone to help the Sabres' transition game.

“He’s finding where to be on the ice to support the puck,” Gionta said. “When he’s doing that, he’s able to get it in his hands more often. That’s the kind of guy you want coming through the neutral zone with the puck. When he’s coming over, supporting it on the strong side, and able to get it in his hands quicker, that’s when he’s going to be better.”

The thing that Bylsma likes best is how Eichel is taking ownership over the Sabres' wins and losses. He doesn’t see a young star concerned with his place in the game among players like McDavid and Matthews. He sees a young player who cares deeply that the Sabres haven’t made the same jump as other young teams.

“He takes a lot of ownership in us being a winning team,” Bylsma said.

You look at the Sabres' roster and wonder where the growth is going to come from. The defense needs to be upgraded in a way that free agency isn’t likely going to be able to provide. Perhaps there’s a trade to be made, but the Sabres aren’t deep enough at forward to move any of the significant pieces there without hurting the forward group. There’s also a new contract that needs to be done for Lehner, who expressed his desire to be part of the long-term solution in Buffalo.

“I’ve got to step up next year, if everything goes well with the contract,” he said.

And that’s where the improvement is going to have to be. It isn’t coming from the outside. It’s not going to arrive in the form of another lottery win, like the one that propelled a neutral Oilers organization.

The growth comes from the players taking ownership of the situation. The growth comes from consistently listening to a coach who has won a Stanley Cup, and showing up next season better than they were this season.

“I really hoped that we would have taken the next step this year, and it’s frustrating that we didn’t,” Eichel said. “I think everyone just needs to look in the mirror and get better.”

What's the deal with Larsson next year? I know he's injured but I don't see him in anyone's plans next year.

Fair question.  In expansion I think most of us are protecting him and Girgensons over Ennis and Moulson.  The goal is to get out from under one of the big lousy contracts.  Also you can't have two many good centers.  However, Larsson's future here is cloudy.  Ideally, we hope that all our young wingers would develop to make it possible to roll 3 scoring lines with Reinhart anchoring the 3rd line.  That leaves Larsson and Girgensons fighting for the 4th line center job.  Girgensons is younger, bigger and faster which makes him the better candidate for that role.  If this is the case, were does that leave Larsson?  Add that centers like Pu and Asplund are moving up the pipeline and I'd guess that Larsson could be moved sooner then later.

Fair question.  In expansion I think most of us are protecting him and Girgensons over Ennis and Moulson.  The goal is to get out from under one of the big lousy contracts.  Also you can't have two many good centers.  However, Larsson's future here is cloudy.  Ideally, we hope that all our young wingers would develop to make it possible to roll 3 scoring lines with Reinhart anchoring the 3rd line.  That leaves Larsson and Girgensons fighting for the 4th line center job.  Girgensons is younger, bigger and faster which makes him the better candidate for that role.  If this is the case, were does that leave Larsson?  Add that centers like Pu and Asplund are moving up the pipeline and I'd guess that Larsson could be moved sooner then later.

I agree that Girgensons is younger, bigger, faster, etc....But when I actually watch both of them play, and focus on them individually, i almost always think Larsson plays better. I wouldn't be so quick to choose Girgensons over him.

I agree that Girgensons is younger, bigger, faster, etc....But when I actually watch both of them play, and focus on them individually, i almost always think Larsson plays better. I wouldn't be so quick to choose Girgensons over him.

He is the better player, but he isn't an ideal checking/energy line center.  Girgensons size and better speed are a better fit for that energy role.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.488687

I went back and looked at Scott Cullen (TSN.CA) off-season gameplan for us last season.  He recommended we add a top 6 winger (we did in Okposo), some depth forwards (we didn't), a D who could partner up with Risto (does Kulikov count?) and backup goalie (we did in Nilsson).

He also suggested we shrink Gorges workload (we didn't and we needed to), he observed that Bogo stinks against tough matchups (which he does) and he said we need more capable puck movers if we want to make the playoffs (GMTM should have listened).  He also suggested drafting Juolevi or Chychrun with the 8th pick.

I wonder what he'll say this year.  My guess?  Still need a partner for Risto.  Need better depth on the blueline with more speed and puck moving skills.  Need a winger for Jack (he said we need that last year as well) and better depth forwards.

Here are a couple of ideas.  

1) Brian Boyle for 4th line center.  Great in the faceoff circle.  Plays physical, adds scoring.

2) Karl Alzner for 2nd pairing D

3) Michael Del Zotto - puck moving depth D who is only 26.

4) Sam Gagner - 3rd line center - Upgrade over Girgensons and Larsson.  Allows Sam Reinhart to stay with Jack.

Edited by GASabresFan

1) 3 new defenseman - One puck mover to spell Risto, one good skating stay at home guy (Lydman type), and a spot for Guhle (Buy out Gorges and don't re-sign Kulikov and Franson). Guys like Alzner, Vatanen, DeHaan, Hickey, Brodin, Theodore, and Montour. I also would mind getting a cheap vet like Hunwick, Seidenberg, Engelland or Quincey to add depth and experience and injury insurance. Brodin seems to be the guy I keep coming back to. He is young, overpaid, but very talented and could be another D cornerstone for years to come.

4) Re-sign Larsson, Girgensons and Foligno. I'm Ok with moving one if it helps get a puck moving D.

5) 4th line veteran center and penalty killer. We need someone can take PK draws to lessen the burdens on ROR. I wonder if Wash would trade us Jay Beagle?

Potential roster

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Vanek ROR Okposo

Carrier Beagle Moulson

McCabe Risto

Alzner Brodin

Guhle Bogo

Falk Quincey

Lehner

Ullmark

1) you don't buy out gorges, you keep him around as 7th D, buying him out will make us pay for him the next 3 years instead of just 1.

2) Hunwick, seidenberg, engelland quincey, rather sign kulikov again than any of those

3) none of them have shown me to be better than Gionta , well maybe rodrigues.

4) none of those will get you a puck moving D.   Foligno I'd love to get back, Larsson and Girgensons seem expendable.   And I really like Larsson as our 4C.

5) Fehr might be a good option here to.

6) I don't mind Vanek, and he actually wants to come back, but I'd slot him next to Eichel and put Nylander with O'reilly and Okposo. 

Nylander - O'Reilly - Okposo

Vanek - Eichel - Rodrigues

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey    ( I really thought they looked good when they played together)

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta   ( he will be resigned)

Girgensons

More realistic D :P

Mind you though, adding Alzner and Stone via UFA will most likely cost us an extra 9 mill in salary.

Antipin might be a cheaper option if he signs.

Alzner  - Risto

McCabe - Stone

Guhle - Bogo

Gorges/Falk  well depends if Guhle can crack this roster

Edited by Huckleberry

Huck, here is how our D looks right now.

We have 5 (6 if Guhle makes the team)signed for next year. They are Risto, McCabe, Bogo, Gorges, Falk and Guhle. Total cap cost around $17.4 million. We spent $25 million this past season. Add Antipin as a 7th D, if signed.

While cheaper, and probably better in terms of speed. You again have a huge over weight in lefties. Our only R shots are Risto and Bogo.

I also think we need 8 NHL D to avoid the problems we had this season both here and in Rochester, which is where cheap vets like Quincey come in. Guys like Hunwick and Quincey are 31 or so and only earn around 1 to 1.5 per season. They give better performance then Gorges for 1/3 the price.

Buying out Gorges only cost 1.3 million over 2 years, not 3. This eliminates one leftie and our slowest defender. We already have his clone in Falk for only $650K. If we add a leftie like Alzner, Gorges really needs to be gone.

What we really need is a legit right handed 3rd D to push Bogo down to the 3rd line. I still have my sites on Sami Vatanen and I'm willing to trade Kane for him despite or 5 on 5 scoring issues.

The goal here is to build a mobile D group that gets the puck out quickly, has depth and balance and can support the offense well.

This is what I'd like to see

McCabe Risto

Antipin Vatanen

Guhle Bogo

Falk Hunwick

Cost: under $22.171 million including 1.3 for Gorges buyout.

Edited by GASabresFan

Hell no to Vanek. We don't need any more floaters on this team.

I say move Eichel to #1 C, move ROR to LW, find or promote a #1 RW

ROR - Eichel - ??? Ennis?

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Carrier - Rodriguez - Bailey

I trade Zemgus in some package deal for defensive help. There really isn't a spot for him on this team. I bring back Gionta for 1 more year because I am not ready to pencil Nylander into that lineup. He is my extra forward though. The one good thing Buffalo did this year was not rush the kids into the lineup or rely on them too much. Fasching is another interesting guy we could use. You'll notice that Moulson and Deslauriers aren't around and for good reason.

The defense is a disaster right now. We have McCabe, Risto, Bogo, and Gorges to pencil in. Ideally I would do something like what follows but who knows if that would work. I would desperatly try to lure that kid who was gonna be on Colorado away, Will Butcher could help the defense a lot. 

Guhle - Risto

McCabe - Antipin

Gorges - Bogo

Falk (sp?)

Edited by LGR4GM

So do think the GMTM presser clarified the off-season game plan?

Is DD in trouble?  GMTM mentioned that he and DD still have three years left on his contracts

He said he wants to build a fast possession-transition team and we don't yet have the roster for that.  So who goes?

He said we need better leadership in the locker room and he was going to acquire players with playoff experience to help. So who goes?

He said he like Baptiste, Guhle and Ullmark.  If all 3 make the team who goes? 

He said we need better D, but he likes the development of McCabe and Risto.  So who stays, who comes and who goes?

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.