Lost Point Countdown: -15 Final: 78 (Mathmatically Eliminated)

MattPie

I promised myself I'd only support a tank one time.  Obviously pleased with the results.  But I'll never pull for Buffalo to lose again.  

I want them to win now, things are just too different from a few seasons ago. There is nothing to gain by losing the rest of the way. 

I want them to win now, things are just too different from a few seasons ago. There is nothing to gain by losing the rest of the way. 

Except a better draft pick and (most importantly) increasing the chances that DB gets fired. You can't possibly believe that if we lost our last 12 games it wouldn't increase the chances of Pegula giving Murray the green light to fire DB. I'd call that a tremendous gain for the team long term.

I understand not wanting the team to lose, but to say there's no upside to it is just wrong. Unless you prefer DB to remain coach and you really feel there's absolutely no difference long term between drafting 5th or 14th this June.

Except a better draft pick and (most importantly) increasing the chances that DB gets fired. You can't possibly believe that if we lost our last 12 games it wouldn't increase the chances of Pegula giving Murray the green light to fire DB. I'd call that a tremendous gain for the team long term.

I understand not wanting the team to lose, but to say there's no upside to it is just wrong. Unless you prefer DB to remain coach and you really feel there's absolutely no difference long term between drafting 5th or 14th this June.

There are two games on the remaining schedule that I absolutely want the Sabres to win. Other than that I agree with this. I don't see the Sabres current position in the standings changing much (maybe drop down 2 spots if we keep our losing pace) but the closer we get to the bottom, the better chance we have hitting the lottery for a top-3 pick, which I can see Murray trading to get real help on the blue-line.

I'm not rooting for the Sabres to lose, but I am rooting for them to lose Bylsma.

I don't disagree necessarily, but...

If we don't lose out, we won't lose out on a chance to a generational player. Picking 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 is meh, it's not a great draft and it's just splitting hairs. No way we go on a 10-2 run, so I see no chance in drafting 14th. I'm basically saying, unlike the past few years I will not be openly rooting for a loss, I will openly be rooting for a win. There is just so little to gain from a losing streak.

I hope 8-4 versus 4-8 is not the difference in Dan staying or going.

In GMTM I trust. The drums of this being his last season as the Sabres head coach appear to get louder across the interwebs daily.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Well, the count is now -3 pts.   90 is the best they could do if they ran the table and went 11 for 11 (a drug induced dream, frankly)    

If they lose 2 of their next 3 or 4 games in reg,  I'd say the team is playing to get a new coach, as much as playing for draft picks. 

Sabres are now in 24th place and sinking.  About to lock up another top 10 draft picks.  Way to go guys!

Yep. We got leapfrogged by Carolina sometime in the past week and we got passed by Winnipeg last night. Dallas could pass us tonight if they can beat Calgary and we lose to Anaheim. It's possible for us to finish as low as 29th although not likely. We'd need another back to back against Jersey, plus Arizona would have to continue gaining ground on us.

Edited by Drunkard

Yep. We got leapfrogged by Carolina sometime in the past week and we got passed by Winnipeg last night. Dallas could pass us tonight if they can beat Calgary and we lose to Anaheim. It's possible for us to finish as low as 29th although not likely. We'd need another back to back against Jersey, plus Arizona would have to continue gaining ground on us.

Can't wait to see the forward he drafts with that top 5 pick.

Can't wait to see the forward he drafts with that top 5 pick.

I hope not, but I could definitely see it happening. I don't really have time to follow and analyze the draft but just googling NHL mock draft it seems like players are all over the place. Lilgegren is slated to go anywhere from 2nd to 24th and Valimaki is slated to go anywhere from 5th to 18th. Give me either of these guys (assuming we don't win the lottery) and I'll be happy.

Yeah, I can't believe they'd go 2-9.   Probably 4-7 or 5-6.  That would be a 76-78 pt season.   Hard to believe if that happens no one gets fired, 3 years into Murray's so-called 'rebuild' 

From this point, what do the Sabres need to go 6-10 for the last 16? That's a Buffalo record.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.