Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

SMDH over the Matthews injury.  I mean, for his first 3 seasons in the NFL, he'd missed 2 regular season games out of 48.  

In other words, he's been a pretty durable guy. That appeared to be a huge saving grace over Watkins.

Now he gets injured 15 minutes into his first  practice with the Bills.  Unbelievable.  It doesn't seem possible that even the Bills could be this badly snakebit.   

I believe that a team can improve no matter where they end up. You do not need to tank to improve.

So, yes, you can "middling it" and improve the next year.

Completely agree.

This was the philosophy of the Bills under Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron. Now it is back with Brandon, Beane, and McDermott.

Perhaps it was executed poorly under RB and DW, and will be much better executed under BB and McD.

SMDH over the Matthews injury.  I mean, for his first 3 seasons in the NFL, he'd missed 2 regular season games out of 48.  

In other words, he's been a pretty durable guy. That appeared to be a huge saving grace over Watkins.

Now he gets injured 15 minutes into his first  practice with the Bills.  Unbelievable.  It doesn't seem possible that even the Bills could be this badly snakebit.   

Just wait until Watkins starts making like Randy Moss...

They have serious depth issues across the board.

5-11 would be my guess. I don't think Tyrod can stay on the field, especially once the OL starts to get dinged up, could spiral into a complete ###### show quickly.

Glenn still isn't practicing...

Before training camp I had them pegged for 5 or 6 wins. Depending on injuries going into the season, I could see a 4 win team coming out of this.

Just wait until Watkins starts making like Randy Moss...

Oh no!!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!

You really did make me burst out laughing -  this horrible possibility hadn't even occurred to me.  But given it's the Bills....

1. Team wasn't going to win this year with Watkins and Darby.

2. Watkins was not going to be here next year.

3. Team did not get *significantly* worse at either position.

4. Team now has 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds in 2018.

This year is going to suck, but it was going to suck anyway.

These were smart moves. I can understand it if Taylor is pissed, especially since he took that pay cut and spent so much time working with Watkins, but these were smart moves.

I completely disagree with #3. Watkins and Darby to Matthews and Gaines is a meaningful downgrade that will have a measurably negative impact, probably to the tune of a whole game difference.

I believe that a team can improve no matter where they end up. You do not need to tank to improve.

I agree with this, particularly in football. I just don't really see the point. I don't see a 6-10 team as being much more watchable than a 3-13 team.

I completely disagree with #3. Watkins and Darby to Matthews and Gaines is a meaningful downgrade that will have a measurably negative impact, probably to the tune of a whole game difference.

I agree with this, particularly in football. I just don't really see the point. I don't see a 6-10 team as being much more watchable than a 3-13 team.

I'd say a whole game difference is about right.  So we just disagree on what we call "significant."  To me, the team went from 6-7 wins to 5-6 wins.  Not significant.

Darby may be a better cover corner, but maybe he's got a brick for a brain. Maybe McD just wanted a better zone corner and could get something for him, and maybe even end up better with someone with "less" talent.

Is a 3-13 team really that much more likely to improve than a 6-10 team? Because I for one really need those extra three weeks in the fall to feel better about myself as a person because my team won on Sunday.

Russ Brandon wants to hit his metrics to bonus. That's why the team and philosophy never win or hit the bottom.

You can like trading Watkins but Bills had the 5th year option and the franchise tag. So Bills gave up control and in return all they receive in draft capital is a measley 2nd round pick.

The Bills made the call he would not be here, it was not just an unlucky circumstance.

Assuming they out maneuver and out smart other hungry for QB teams in the 2018 draft ( a big assumption) they will still need to find a #1 WR. And that means another #1 pick on the position after spending 2 1s and a 2 recently.

2nd round picks in the NFL are a pretty hefty price for a rostered player.

And the Bills did make the call that Watkins was not part of their plans. I get why they did that - why set yourself up to pay elite WR money when you don't have your QB on the roster? I think that's a good decision.

Believe me, everyone who posts here knows how tanking and rebuilds work. The Sabres started theirs in 2013/2014. Thats my point. 

Tanking and rebuilding in the NFL are a whole 'nother ball of wax from what can be done in the NHL.

Interesting. I have to admit: The actual process of getting better in the NFL is more of a frickin' mystery to me than it is in other sports. So many players.

My point was the Bills did not commit to a rebuild. Are you saying this is rebuild year 1?

They've committed to it. Maybe not enough?

Darby may be a better cover corner, but maybe he's got a brick for a brain. Maybe McD just wanted a better zone corner and could get something for him, and maybe even end up better with someone with "less" talent.

I heard Sal C talking about this, and I tend to agree. It sounds like Darby is a physically gifted player who can do quite well in man-on-man, but gets lost (and tends to freelance) when asked to do anything remotely complicated.

Russ Brandon wants to hit his metrics to bonus. That's why the team and philosophy never win or hit the bottom.

giphy.gif

(Sarcasm not intended. I firmly believe Brandon has to go.)

I've been reading a bit and while I still want them to get their QB, I don't actually want them to spend assets to trade up to #2 or #1, unless they finish there or just behind and don't have to use all of the assets, or unless they firmly believe the only quarterback in the draft with a shot to be good is going to go 1 or 2. Take your guy at 8 or 10 or wherever you finish and use those 5 picks in the 2.5 rounds after that on all of the holes we have. Until now I've been assuming most of those are going in a trade to get the qb, but there's a very good chance they end up liking a guy that we don't have to move for, and the idea of adding 5 other top 3 round picks is drool-worthy.

I've been reading a bit and while I still want them to get their QB, I don't actually want them to spend assets to trade up to #2 or #1, unless they finish there or just behind and don't have to use all of the assets, or unless they firmly believe the only quarterback in the draft with a shot to be good is going to go 1 or 2. Take your guy at 8 or 10 or wherever you finish and use those 5 picks in the 2.5 rounds after that on all of the holes we have. Until now I've been assuming most of those are going in a trade to get the qb, but there's a very good chance they end up liking a guy that we don't have to move for, and the idea of adding 5 other top 3 round picks is drool-worthy.

I agree. Mostly because I firmly believe the Bills will move up to pick 2017's version of Todd Blackledge.

We'll finish in the bottom 5. There are at least 6-7 QB's that are ranked everyone argues is in the top 3, so if we stay where we are we'll be fine. 

Anyone but Darnold and I'm fine. Dude's got the release time of Tebow

I'm shocked at the Kool-aid drinking fest that is Bills fans. I can't believe the overwhelming support for this team ineptitude. I don't really care about the trades one way or another but there are legions of fans wholeheartedly buying into all the moves. I don't get it.

I'm shocked at the Kool-aid drinking fest that is Bills fans. I can't believe the overwhelming support for this team ineptitude. I don't really care about the trades one way or another but there are legions of fans wholeheartedly buying into all the moves. I don't get it.

Objectively, it's a great move. If anything, there is the opposite of kool-aid drinking going on here

I'll never get it. There have been 3 Pope's since the bills last made the playoffs. I'm betting we can get to 4. We're at least gonna have flying cars by then.

Do you really want us to get all fired up over 6-10 to 5-11?,... or even 8-8 to 7-9?

Not sure what else you want. They just changed almost every coach and GM. Can I wait until they play a game that counts before I get angry? I'm kinda enjoying my crappy summer.

Do you really want us to get all fired up over 6-10 to 5-11?,... or even 8-8 to 7-9?

Not sure what else you want. They just changed almost every coach and GM. Can I wait until they play a game that counts before I get angry? I'm kinda enjoying my crappy summer.

I was just expecting outrage, because that is generally what happens when you trade your best players. The apathy I'm witnessing is new for Bills fans.

I was just expecting outrage, because that is generally what happens when you trade your best players. The apathy I'm witnessing is new for Bills fans.

The Bills go into the offseason promising change. The Bills go into preseason doing the same old Bills stuff. They were a long shot to make the playoffs with Watkins, I hardly care that in a season we wouldn't have made the playoffs, we made it harder to make the playoffs.