GDT Ottawa at Buffalo, February 4, 2017, 7pm (MSG)

Eleven

I'd like Okposo to get an extended look with Jack and Sam. There just isn't a whole lot going on with OReilly.

I don't think a small speedster would fit with Jack and Sam, they need somebody with Foligno's physicality but who can score, like a LeClair or Kevin Stevens. Kane is probably the best fit right now, maybe Okposo... Vanek would be nice, Jeff Carter. McGinn was a good fit too. Bailey could get there maybe.

Chemistry is a two-way street to be sure, but he seems to be the common factor too often.

Dont you think it's notable that every player seems to click with Sam, or Ryan - plumber or skilled guy?

Or that everybody seems to have had a boost playing with Gionta, other than Jack?

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it. I don't think it's a huge issue and I do think it should disappear with maturity.

But it's there.

This reminds me a lot of the "it's hard to play with Crosby" narrative from Pittsburgh for awhile there. It's not hard, you just need players who can play off the puck, which we don't have many of. Reinhart and O'Reilly, really, that's it if we're talking skill players. I'm 100% with Robviously here.

As much as I love seeing the Sabres pound the Sens, I still don't feel like we are making the playoffs. We are pacing for about 85-87 points, a step up from last year's 81. They could argue losing Eichel early killed their chances and overall the arrow is still pointing up.  Maybe they get lucky in the lottery for once. Bylsma's back, maybe even discusses an extension.

Meanwhile the fans will keep losing interest and I predict a big hit in season ticket numbers, especially if they try to raise prices again.

I'd like Okposo to get an extended look with Jack and Sam. There just isn't a whole lot going on with OReilly.

I don't think a small speedster would fit with Jack and Sam, they need somebody with Foligno's physicality but who can score, like a LeClair or Kevin Stevens. Kane is probably the best fit right now, maybe Okposo... Vanek would be nice, Jeff Carter. McGinn was a good fit too. Bailey could get there maybe.

McGinn would look awful nice on the line right now.....

Chemistry is a two-way street to be sure, but he seems to be the common factor too often.

Dont you think it's notable that every player seems to click with Sam, or Ryan - plumber or skilled guy?

Or that everybody seems to have had a boost playing with Gionta, other than Jack?

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it. I don't think it's a huge issue and I do think it should disappear with maturity.

But it's there.

Can't say I've watched critically.  Maybe it is a product of his style of play?  We see the same thing with Kane and we know it is his style of play.  He needs a certain type of player with him.  Jack may be the same.  Maybe missing out on Vessey is a bigger deal?

Jack is an awesome offensive talent but I think dudacek is on to something here. I wonder if the 3rd wheel is so caught up in having to win the majority of board battles on that line, be the primary fore checker and back checker on that line that they don't have the energy to also finish. I wonder why it's not more apparent to others how everyone who doesn't do well with him suddenly becomes a scorer when their primary duty becomes just doing their job. 

The national guys allude to his occasional laziness, the instigators allude to it even Brad May brought it up after the first period yesterday. It's a young guy trying to find his way. 

I don't think Nylander is the answer either. He appears to also like the puck on his stick. My opinion is Jack needs a finisher like Ovechkin lite.

And now I duck for cover..... 

McGinn would look awful nice on the line right now.....

Not at 3M per season.  Unless Chaykin would like to take Moulson, or Ennis back. 

I watched a bit of the game and was impressed by Kulikov for the first time.  Lehner has had an above average season with this being some of the "frosting" on the cake.  Hopefully we can continue to gain some ground.  

Jack is an awesome offensive talent but I think dudacek is on to something here. I wonder if the 3rd wheel is so caught up in having to win the majority of board battles on that line, be the primary fore checker and back checker on that line that they don't have the energy to also finish. I wonder why it's not more apparent to others how everyone who doesn't do well with him suddenly becomes a scorer whpossession primary duty becomes just doing their job. 

The national guys allude to his occasional laziness, the instigators allude to it even Brad May brought it up after the first period yesterday. It's a young guy trying to find his way. 

I don't think Nylander is the answer either. He appears to also like the puck on his stick. My opinion is Jack needs a finisher like Ovechkin lite.

And now I duck for cover..... 

I don't get where this idea that others are winning board battles while Jack cruises in open ice. Jack is the dominant possession player on that line and engages in and wins as many if not more board battles as Flubligno or Sam.  Both their goals came as a result of Jack winning possession of the puck.  The problem with Foligno on that line is he thinks the game too slowly and has no creativity.  Sure he'll hussle and bang but once he gets possession he usually bangs the puck blindly back into the corner forcing another possession battle.  When healthy, I would like to see Carrier with Jack and Sam.  Better hands better mind and equally as physical though not quite the pugilist. 

We think of board battles as static events where two guys pin each other to the boards and hack and whack until the puck comes out.  This is what we think of when we talk about Foligno along the boards.  A lot of board battles are won with speed as well, where one player is able to win the puck before the other gets there.  Those are the kind of board battles you'll see Jack Eichel win.

Jack is OK at getting the puck along the wall and great at protecting it.

...except for when he isn't.  Sometimes he looks like he's off on a rush, thinking 5 moves ahead, and a defender pokes it off his stick at Move 1.  It's the one thing Jack does that drives me crazy.

I don't get where this idea that others are winning board battles while Jack cruises in open ice. Jack is the dominant possession player on that line and engages in and wins as many if not more board battles as Flubligno or Sam.  Both their goals came as a result of Jack winning possession of the puck.  The problem with Foligno on that line is he thinks the game too slowly and has no creativity.  Sure he'll hussle and bang but once he gets possession he usually bangs the puck blindly back into the corner forcing another possession battle.  When healthy, I would like to see Carrier with Jack and Sam.  Better hands better mind and equally as physical though not quite the pugilist. 

We think of board battles as static events where two guys pin each other to the boards and hack and whack until the puck comes out.  This is what we think of when we talk about Foligno along the boards.  A lot of board battles are won with speed as well, where one player is able to win the puck before the other gets there.  Those are the kind of board battles you'll see Jack Eichel win.

Watch how often he wins those battles in the offensive zone and how many he even tries for in the Dzone. Watch how often the opposing team is in our end and Jack is still at the red line. 

And no I'm not talking about the Ottawa game where he actually played one of his better all around games. But in general there are times he seems disinterested in playing both sides of the ice. 

One thing I think is unique in Jack's style (Datsyuk is the guy I think of when I see this) is when an opponent steals the puck away Jack will continue to pursue the puck and get it back almost before the opponent realizes he's got possession of the puck.  One moment the opponent is :w00t: , the next he's :o  when he realizes Jack has the puck back already.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.