GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 7:30p ET 1/17/17

pi2000

I'm not sure how I feel about Byslma, but I'm not really convinced that we'd be in a playoff spot with Babcock. Maybe though. I'd certainly have preferred him to Byslma based on their past records.

For as bad as we've played at times, we're really not that far out from a playoff spot, making us a bubble team.

I keep hoping Byslma will open up the offense instead of trying to play a defensive style of game because we don't have a very deep blue line and on paper we have a pretty solid top 3+ lines, especially with Ennis back if he can play the kind of game that's brought him success in the past.

I'm not sure how I feel about Byslma, but I'm not really convinced that we'd be in a playoff spot with Babcock. Maybe though. I'd certainly have preferred him to Byslma based on their past records.

For as bad as we've played at times, we're really not that far out from a playoff spot, making us a bubble team.

I keep hoping Byslma will open up the offense instead of trying to play a defensive style of game because we don't have a very deep blue line and on paper we have a pretty solid top 3+ lines, especially with Ennis back if he can play the kind of game that's brought him success in the past.

IMO, to win this game, BUF needs to play a defensively responsible game.    They'll get their scoring chances because TOR gives up goals in bunches, but they also can score in bunches.    If BUF keeps them under 3 goals, they should find themselves on the winning end.  

The Sabres are the 2nd worse team in the conference and 27th place in the entire league. Like it or not we are a basement team. We're a 5 game win streak away from being a bubble team and the catch is that basement teams are incapable of stringing together winning streaks like that.

The Sabres are the 2nd worse team in the conference and 27th place in the entire league. Like it or not we are a basement team. We're a 5 game win streak away from being a bubble team and the catch is that basement teams are incapable of stringing together winning streaks like that.

Basement team or not, we have a chance at the playoffs, making us a bubble team.

We're only 5 points behind Toronto too (but they have 2 games in hand).  

We're 7 points behind Philly for a wild card spot (with 3 games in hand)

We're 8 points behind Boston (with 4 games in hand)

Winning this game means a lot. But then so did winning that back to back against Boston, which we didn't do.

More than anything we need to start being the teams ahead of us. We can't do that with Boston anymore, but we've still got 4 more games against Toronto (not counting tonight) coming up, and 1 more against Philly.

We're 5-4-1(.55 points) in our last 10, and we're 10-8-4 (.545) since Eichel came back. That's not great, but it's certainly better than the 7-9-5 (.452) we went without him. If we went .55 all season, we'd have 47 points, putting us almost tied with Toronto for the last playoff spot.

I prefer to be optimistic that things are turning around, and we'll at least have a shot at a playoff spot in March.

You are missing the point, which is probably my fault for not being explicit. There will always be some large percentage of posters on boards like this that will bitch about the coach, management, etc. They will find the numbers that back up their point (and usually ignore facts that contradict their point). Bylsma's system is unattractive to watch and it makes me as sad as anyone.

But his career win/loss and that Cup, which many are so eager to dismiss, are facts. There is the coherent, evidence-based argument.

Our beloved Sabres are a team that was forecasted, by just about every expert, to be a bubble team this year based on its roster versus other teams' rosters. If at the end of the season (or before if it's clear ) they have not improved their record measurably) then sure there is an argument for firing him. Then yes, there will be evidence that he is not a 'good coach' for this situation. But the team is performing right where everyone thought they were going to.

Those are facts, of course, but like what I posted, the interpretation of those facts need not be "because of Bylsma." I think most Pens fans, and many national observers, feel the Pens underachieved during the Bylsma era. Much like how many of us feel this Sabres team is underachieving now.

But what I really took umbrage with is the assertion there'd be just as much bitching with Babcock. I totally disagree, unless you think we'd be in the exact same place in the standings. There will always be some level of complaining, but if we were just 5 points better and right in the thick of the playoff race, I don't think there would be nearly as much.

Lehner starting tonight in a move that will totally work out.

Sigh. Starting the same goalie in both games of a back to back is such a bad decision.

Basement team or not, we have a chance at the playoffs, making us a bubble team.

We're only 5 points behind Toronto too (but they have 2 games in hand).

We're 7 points behind Philly for a wild card spot (with 3 games in hand)

We're 8 points behind Boston (with 4 games in hand)

Winning this game means a lot. But then so did winning that back to back against Boston, which we didn't do.

More than anything we need to start being the teams ahead of us. We can't do that with Boston anymore, but we've still got 4 more games against Toronto (not counting tonight) coming up, and 1 more against Philly.

We're 5-4-1(.55 points) in our last 10, and we're 10-8-4 (.545) since Eichel came back. That's not great, but it's certainly better than the 7-9-5 (.452) we went without him. If we went .55 all season, we'd have 47 points, putting us almost tied with Toronto for the last playoff spot.

I prefer to be optimistic that things are turning around, and we'll at least have a shot at a playoff spot in March.

I appreciate the desire to be optimistic, but we have 39 games left and probably have to get to 95 points to make it, meaning just shy of 67% of available points. We're nowhere close, have been nowhere close, and have shown no signs we can get close, to that kind of success.

Eh.  if they can pull off a winning streak they'll be right in it.  The reason we're both a bottom dweller and a bubble team is that no one's really running away with the lower playoff spots this season.  Play .550 hockey and add in a streak or two and they could very well end up in the playoffs.

I appreciate the desire to be optimistic, but we have 39 games left and probably have to get to 95 points to make it, meaning just shy of 67% of available points. We're nowhere close, have been nowhere close, and have shown no signs we can get close, to that kind of success.

While ever the optimist, getting to 95 points is going to take a record along the lines of 25-12-2 the rest of the way. (And those 25 wins need to be against our divisional opponents.) That's a tall order for this team with its youth and consistent lack of consistency.

First things first, let's go make syrup.

Eh. if they can pull off a winning streak they'll be right in it. The reason we're both a bottom dweller and a bubble team is that no one's really running away with the lower playoff spots this season. Play .550 hockey and add in a streak or two and they could very well end up in the playoffs.

I want this so much. But I also want Bylma fired so much.

Eh.  if they can pull off a winning streak they'll be right in it.  The reason we're both a bottom dweller and a bubble team is that no one's really running away with the lower playoff spots this season.  Play .550 hockey and add in a streak or two and they could very well end up in the playoffs.

I wonder what everyone thinks is gonna happen. I am guessing the Sabres finish with 93 points. 

I think the critical deciding point will be how we do in our 5 games against the Leafs, the one game against Philly, and maybe the 1 game at the end of the season against Tampa. However that game will likely be important regardless if we're still in the playoff hunt at the end of the season..

Would I put money on us making the playoffs? No. Am I hopeful we'll still have a shot next month? Yes. March? Maybe. April? Tough to say..

I wonder what everyone thinks is gonna happen. I am guessing the Sabres finish with 93 points. 

I think the critical deciding point will be how we do in our 5 games against the Leafs, the one game against Philly, and maybe the 1 game at the end of the season against Tampa. However that game will likely be important regardless if we're still in the playoff hunt at the end of the season..

Would I put money on us making the playoffs? No. Am I hopeful we'll still have a shot next month? Yes. March? Maybe. April? Tough to say..

They need to win games in regulation against eastern conference teams ahead of them in the standings.

Eh. if they can pull off a winning streak they'll be right in it. The reason we're both a bottom dweller and a bubble team is that no one's really running away with the lower playoff spots this season. Play .550 hockey and add in a streak or two and they could very well end up in the playoffs.

But what have they shown you this year to make you think this is anything more than a pipe dream?

They need to win games in regulation against eastern conference teams ahead of them in the standings.

Yes, but especially against Toronto. If we go 4-1-0 (making us 4-2-0 for the season) in our 5 games that's 8 points to their 2, putting us only 1 point ahead of them (assuming we match their record otherwise down the stretch). However if 1-2 of those 4 wins are OT wins, it diminishes the value greatly.

Yes, but especially against Toronto. If we go 4-1-0 (making us 4-2-0 for the season) in our 5 games that's 8 points to their 2, putting us only 1 point ahead of them (assuming we match their record otherwise down the stretch). However if 1-2 of those 4 wins are OT wins, it diminishes the value greatly.

Toronto is a bit younger team that BUF, I expect them to come back down to earth as the season wears on.   Production from guys like Matthews, Brown, Marner, will drop over the next few months.    

Buffalo is young too, but guys like Eichel and Ennis have fresh legs, as will Kulikov when he's healthy, so I expect BUF to close the gap on TOR... but will it be enough to earn a playoff spot?  I don't think so.

But what have they shown you this year to make you think this is anything more than a pipe dream?

There have been flashes of brilliance but nothing has been sustained. They will need to magically get "consistent" as in consistently coming ready to play with a high level of compete. We almost need an Aaron Rogers like moment where either Jack or ROR makes the bold assertion that they will win out. The rest of the team will begin to believe and follow their lead. Unil then more of the same.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.